Need help choosing the right switches

Muzky

24 Feb 2018, 13:57

Hi there,

I just bought my first mechanical keyboard: Corsair K63 (The one without num-pad). It has Cherry MX Red switches. Everyone recommended me these for gaming, but now that I have it I get fatigued by using it playing shooters which require u to hold buttons down, such as Shift+W. Holding it down causes strains and I can't play for too long. I've checked all the switches, and I was thinking 'bout changing this K63 for a keyboard with brown or blue switches. IMO the blues sounds the best option for me, because they click, and holding the button down won't cause any strain or don't require alot of power. Am I right on this? Please help me finding the perfect switch.

P.S. I only play shooters

Greetings!

Muzky

Dingster

24 Feb 2018, 16:14

Yes you should be fine with blues, they require only slightly more actuation force. But remember when you press the blue switch down you will feel a "bump" and hear a click unlike just sliding down like with the reds.

rich1051414

24 Feb 2018, 16:15

Muzky wrote: Hi there,

I just bought my first mechanical keyboard: Corsair K63 (The one without num-pad). It has Cherry MX Red switches. Everyone recommended me these for gaming, but now that I have it I get fatigued by using it playing shooters which require u to hold buttons down, such as Shift+W. Holding it down causes strains and I can't play for too long. I've checked all the switches, and I was thinking 'bout changing this K63 for a keyboard with brown or blue switches. IMO the blues sounds the best option for me, because they click, and holding the button down won't cause any strain or don't require alot of power. Am I right on this? Please help me finding the perfect switch.

P.S. I only play shooters

Greetings!

Muzky
Your problem is you are holding the button down further than you need to. You don't have to hold the switch bottomed out on mechanical keyboards. That will just fatigue you.

You should use a tactile or clicky switch to teach yourself how far you need to press the switch. Linear switches give you no feedback on how far is far enough. I do not recommend browns for this purpose, the tactility is too subtle.

I have a serious case of Deja vu right now.

Daniel Beardsmore

24 Feb 2018, 17:35

I'm confused about how holding MX Red can cause strain, as they don't require much force to press or hold.

What keyboard did you have before this? Surely full travel force on that keyboard was no more than it is for MX Red!

Return to “Keyboards”