Stuff you just bought

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

14 Mar 2017, 15:54

snuci wrote: Got lucky on an industrial M13 but thought I'd play with it a little and am thinking about putting on black M13 buttons/labels. Buttons are photoshopped in but I have a spare set from a bad M13 keyboard (that's where the label came from). It came with red and black trackpoint rubber tops. I like the black with this color scheme. What do you think?
Love it.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

14 Mar 2017, 15:58

Harshmallow wrote: Here's most of the stuff I've bought in the past while from the thrift stores in my area. A couple items are from a lucky kijiji find (a craigslist type of site in Canada). I have a few more items and photos, but this covers most of it and it's way past my bed time already. I'll try to post the others tomorrow.
That is a giant soldering iron on the floor :)

Do you use it to desolder a whole 60% at once? ;)

Harshmallow

14 Mar 2017, 16:02

Wodan wrote:
Harshmallow wrote: Here's most of the stuff I've bought in the past while from the thrift stores in my area. A couple items are from a lucky kijiji find (a craigslist type of site in Canada). I have a few more items and photos, but this covers most of it and it's way past my bed time already. I'll try to post the others tomorrow.
That is a giant soldering iron on the floor :)

Do you use it to desolder a whole 60% at once? ;)
Yeah I was going to start with my Tandem 6526! That was for my landing pad mod :) Only 6 Canadian dollars, and it's Philips gear! So I figured why not. The mod on my Novatouch was successful..so it has already paid for itself =D

emdude
Model M Apologist

25 Mar 2017, 00:37

I just received an SSK keyset from Unicomp; I requested that they use the old IBM Helvetica typeface and to be extra careful about alignment. :roll:

These are easily the best caps I've ordered from them, so I guess that says a lot about what they could do if they tried.

Some photos and comparison with standard Unicomp keycaps:
Spoiler:
Full album here: http://imgur.com/a/GXUiV

Daniel Beardsmore

25 Mar 2017, 00:51

A hit and miss assortment of good parts and rusted-away parts.
moar.jpg
moar.jpg (123.29 KiB) Viewed 6054 times
The beige/grey Bulgarian reed switches are almost all dead. (Most are jammed open, but some are jammed closed. The securing pins are mostly all missing, so they don't hold together, and those I checked had broken reed capsules. The two with the securing pins present worked correctly.)

derzemel

28 Mar 2017, 20:01

I got a pair of new speakers, Q-Acoustics BT3:

I am am really impressed with them, especially after I connected them through an optic cable to the computer to use their internal DAC. I got even more impressed after I connected a connected a subwoofer to their sub out. Here is an image with the connections they have

and a potato image with them on my desk

cumwagondeluxe

01 Apr 2017, 20:18

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Vintage-ALPS ... 2511703930

Got this still-plastic-wrapped new alps numpad. Super nice design, and it's as far as we know the only known existing keyboard with SKFRAD switches, which'll be nice for epeen/collection purposes :^) Depending on how well the trackpad works I might even set it up as a permanent thing to use for casual browsing, though I'm not too optimistic given how shitty literally every non-apple trackpad I've ever used has been (due in part to OS X vs. windows handling of trackpad input)

dokyun

02 Apr 2017, 21:33

20170402_190232182_iOS.jpg
20170402_190232182_iOS.jpg (996.58 KiB) Viewed 5961 times
Found an SMK-8112JU at the recycling center. Forgot how pingy these are supposed to be.

Harshmallow

02 Apr 2017, 22:05

cumwagondeluxe wrote: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Vintage-ALPS ... 2511703930

Got this still-plastic-wrapped new alps numpad. Super nice design, and it's as far as we know the only known existing keyboard with SKFRAD switches, which'll be nice for epeen/collection purposes :^) Depending on how well the trackpad works I might even set it up as a permanent thing to use for casual browsing, though I'm not too optimistic given how shitty literally every non-apple trackpad I've ever used has been (due in part to OS X vs. windows handling of trackpad input)

Did you cancel or get a refund? It says it's relisted and the listing looks identical. Or perhaps the seller listed another one?

gogusrl

02 Apr 2017, 22:55

Got an awesome looking mini-fridge (been wanting one for ages but didn't want to pay for it :D ).

oh, and a few rollermouse.

emdude
Model M Apologist

03 Apr 2017, 06:49

SO's father brought some old keyboards from his workplace for me, including a Unitek K-151L with vintage Cherry MX Blacks! My first experience with them, rather smooth switches, if a bit dull.

Strangely enough it's AT layout but XT-compatible only! No AT/XT switch sadly.

More pics of internals:
Spoiler:

cumwagondeluxe

03 Apr 2017, 09:01

Harshmallow wrote:
cumwagondeluxe wrote: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Vintage-ALPS ... 2511703930

Did you cancel or get a refund? It says it's relisted and the listing looks identical. Or perhaps the seller listed another one?
Cancelled, unfortunately :( As much as I love em, keyboards are behind clothing/fashion as far as hobby priority goes and a super rare find came up, so I "had" to cancel my order to lessen the blow of buying these shoes a little.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

03 Apr 2017, 11:11

Got my red scarf 3 today.
http://imgur.com/a/p34vL

andrewjoy

05 Apr 2017, 10:44

I could not resist.
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg (79.62 KiB) Viewed 5884 times
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg (61.16 KiB) Viewed 5884 times
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg (146.96 KiB) Viewed 5884 times
I wonder if there is a deskthority for vintage fans a fanthority if you will.

( Hey it could be worse i could be one of them people who collects washing machines)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

05 Apr 2017, 10:59

andrewjoy wrote: I wonder if there is a deskthority for vintage fans a fanthority if you will.

( Hey it could be worse i could be one of them people who collects washing machines)
Nice oldschool windmachine you got there! Here you go Andrew:

off-topic-f10/keeping-cool-1940s-style- ... ?hilit=fan

andrewjoy

05 Apr 2017, 11:15

I should update that .

That fan is 50 or 60s not 40s

i have a much older fan confirmed as 1943

as well as this new one

I did not need it , ( well i can use it in work ) but that westinghouse badge sealed the deal

Wodan
ISO Advocate

05 Apr 2017, 11:17

Looks like a piece from a Fallout Movie set ;)

andrewjoy

05 Apr 2017, 11:37

Wodan wrote: Looks like a piece from a Fallout Movie set ;)
And it will still work 300 years after the great war.

Harshmallow

05 Apr 2017, 23:39

That's an awesome fan! You might have just given me another fucking thing to spend my money on...great : / I want one for my desk at work and my work station at home.

andrewjoy

05 Apr 2017, 23:43

when it arrives and its cleaned up i will take a photo with all 3 of my fans !

Harshmallow

06 Apr 2017, 00:38

andrewjoy wrote: when it arrives and its cleaned up i will take a photo with all 3 of my fans !
I might be looking into getting a little Vornado desk fan sometime this summer now - all your fault! But thank you lol, I've been meaning to get a classic banker's desk lamp with green glass shade, so having a vintage desk fan or two would be great. The little Vornados look awesome too.

andrewjoy

06 Apr 2017, 00:56

i love bankers lamps too , will have to get one , but i want a real vintage one

Harshmallow

06 Apr 2017, 01:08

andrewjoy wrote: i love bankers lamps too , will have to get one , but i want a real vintage one
I'm gonna settle for a replica one from Home Depot for now, simply because it has a two plug outlet on its base and will be very convenient for my keyboard workbench/desk. I do want to get a vintage one at some point as well.

andrewjoy

06 Apr 2017, 01:23

Your in north america right ? you have lamps with plug sockets on , them things freak me out asking for trouble.

I would get a replica , but they are all shiny fake brass and look like arse. If i could find one with a more brushed metal look that would be nice.

Harshmallow

06 Apr 2017, 04:18

andrewjoy wrote: Your in north america right ? you have lamps with plug sockets on , them things freak me out asking for trouble.

I would get a replica , but they are all shiny fake brass and look like arse. If i could find one with a more brushed metal look that would be nice.
Yep, I'm in Toronto, Canada. This is the one I was checking out at the store. It was a solid lamp with a heavy base. The offerings on the American Home Depot side are quite different. I suppose this is a Canadian vendor.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.138- ... 33103.html

elecplus

06 Apr 2017, 18:38

andrewjoy wrote: i love bankers lamps too , will have to get one , but i want a real vintage one
I have one that the switch needs to be replaced, but it is 110V, so prob won't do you any good.

andrewjoy

06 Apr 2017, 20:03

Would be expensive to ship. It would be easy to converter to 240v as its only a lamp , just re-wire it !

Harshmallow

06 Apr 2017, 20:17

This weekend is turning out to potentially be another good IBM day for me - don't wanna jinx anything so I'll post more next week lol.

andrewjoy

06 Apr 2017, 21:06

i call the 104s

elecplus

06 Apr 2017, 21:26

andrewjoy wrote: i call the 104s
You must have liked the unsavers from the group buy?

Return to “News”