Who cycles?

captain

20 Jun 2012, 07:53

I have enjoyed all of my bikes: a ton of Fujis, best was the Club Fuji triathlon bike; Gary Fisher HooKooEKoo was a fantastic mountain bike, and I totally tricked it out with some cool inventions--50W halogen spot was brighter than car high beams! but now I'm low tech and low key. I drive a beer opener on wheels!
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1340171574.115071.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1340171574.115071.jpg (269.15 KiB) Viewed 5399 times
Last edited by captain on 21 Jun 2012, 01:10, edited 2 times in total.

RC-1140

20 Jun 2012, 17:06

Funny to see, how keyboard enthusiasts seem to share a lot of interests.

I ride my bike to school everyday, regardless of the weather, and I always use it to get to friends or the local hackerspace. As I still can't afford a drivers license (damn, these things are pricey in Germany, but I guess, not only here...) this is the only means of transportation except public transport. I hate going somewhere by bus, even though there is a bus station, nearly right in front of our door, as it takes so damn long. Nearly every place here in town is accessible in around half an hour of pretty relaxed bike riding, compared to up to an hour bus driving. I'm riding a 5 years old KTM Avento plus. Not the best, but not the worst as well. Currently I have some problems with it, as the gearshift levers apparently reached their end of life. The back one broke apart 2 months ago, and the front one is broken since two weeks. Also my suspension fork doesn't work that good as well, there seems to be some water in it, so it has started to rust. But my Brooks saddle was the best investment I've made regarding bikes, and I absolutely fell in love with hydraulic brakes.

A friend of mine has bought a single speed (not fixed) bike recently, and is very pleased with it.

Half-Saint

20 Jun 2012, 17:08

I also like to cycle, my ride is a Trek 7700. I like to do short steep rides between 20 and 50km.

fossala
Elite +1

20 Jun 2012, 17:37

Got a puncture today :(.

Multiple

20 Jun 2012, 18:32

Biking far away is like a crack addiction...my long-hauler got sturmey archer drum breaks in polished aluminium, crow spoke patterned wheels, some brooks with springs and single gear on a panasonic steel frame. Very smooth with no vibrations, sound or friction. Been around Africa, Asia and Europe on that. My winter bike is pretty similar, although no springs on the brooks and with some left over cantilever brakes.
Attachments
winterbike.jpg
winterbike.jpg (174.36 KiB) Viewed 5381 times

kint

20 Jun 2012, 19:20

Multiple wrote:...some brooks with springs and single gear on a panasonic steel frame. ....
What panasonic ? They used to make some real nice frames over the time... :drool:
Shimano M900 cranks ? :geek:
RC-1140 wrote:... Also my suspension fork doesn't work that good as well, there seems to be some water in it, so it has started to rust. ....
no offense, but in this class front suspension has rather an alibi function.. I do prefer rigid bikes plus fat wheels then. :oops:

Multiple

20 Jun 2012, 19:56

kint wrote:
Multiple wrote:...some brooks with springs and single gear on a panasonic steel frame. ....
What panasonic ? They used to make some real nice frames over the time... :drool:
Shimano M900 cranks ? :geek:
It's a matsushita national frame, with polished shimano 600 cranks. Got it for spare change and never checked out exactly what it was. Not bad though :)

kint

20 Jun 2012, 20:08

nice...:)
Check whether its a japanese made...from sheldon brown:
Japanese-built Panasonic/National/Matsushita frames are of excellent quality at each price range. You can distinguish them from outsourced bikes by the serial number location. Osaka-built frames are serial numbered on the lower headlug. The second digit is the year, e.g., T5M78563 would be a 1985 frame

fossala
Elite +1

21 Jun 2012, 20:38

fossala wrote:I'm looking at getting a team pro. Tempted to buy the matching handlebar tape...
Update: Bought the team pro titanium, matching handlebar tape and some proofide. Had a voucher for 45% off so I thought I should use it well. Came to 151euros. Should be hear within a week.

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Jun 2012, 21:09

^ I bet all these guys with their faggot bikes are overtaken at will by each Dutch oldster, women mounted with multiple offspring and mailmen with cargo, on basic bikes.

fossala
Elite +1

21 Jun 2012, 21:12

Good video. I bought the saddle because after my last 100ish mile ride my arse hurt.
EDIT: How long had them cyclists been going? A lot further than the postie I bet.

captain

23 Jun 2012, 10:37

I need a beer carrier. I thought that a gimballed coconut on the handlebars would be good, but it hasn't worked out. Any good ideas?

kint

23 Jun 2012, 14:18

manly carrier:

captain

23 Jun 2012, 23:47

That is awesome! Alas, it won't work with a koozie--a necessity in 109F heat, plus they aren't accessible on a moment's notice. I may just have to invent something myself.

rodtang

30 Jun 2012, 09:26

I have one of these
mine has less parts though.
Last edited by rodtang on 30 Jun 2012, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.

fossala
Elite +1

30 Jun 2012, 10:12

I have recently got my brooks team pro ti. Won't be using another saddle for a long long time!

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 10:32

Great saddle. I like the smell of beeswax on my butt.

fossala
Elite +1

30 Jun 2012, 10:36

Rubbed on the proofide the other day. Smells soooo good.
You have a team pro as well ripster? Which model?

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 15:08

The old......one. BEFORE the marketing department took over. It's just some regular steel I assume.

http://deskthority.net/off-topic-f10/wh ... tml#p52377

fossala
Elite +1

03 Jul 2012, 12:32

Thought I would add some pictures of my bike.

fossala
Elite +1

25 Jul 2012, 21:01

Been doing a lot of training for quite a while and I have a handful of days to recover so tomorrow I'm going to do my first century (100 miles/161km). If I don't post in this thread again by 6pm, presume dead.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

26 Jul 2012, 00:35

BMX! I'll have to take a picture of mine.

Sprained my wrist the other week so i haven't been hopping curbs or wheeling around oakland like I usually do.

dox

26 Jul 2012, 00:45

Different kind of bike.

fossala
Elite +1

26 Jul 2012, 09:47

I'm off for my century, wish me luck!

HzFaq

26 Jul 2012, 10:04

Send us your route so we know where to send the search parties ;).

Also, good luck.

fossala
Elite +1

26 Jul 2012, 16:47

Done it!

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Jul 2012, 16:50

Next is 2 miles swimming. Go!

fossala
Elite +1

26 Jul 2012, 19:35

No, I don't do swimming.

Trent

27 Jul 2012, 00:27

In the city I usually use my car for going longer distances, however I find myself cycling with a backpack to stores and the post office for small trips so I don't lose a good parking spot.

I ride a single gear (NOT hipster fixed gear, there is a difference) Panasonic DX 3000. I got it used at a place here for ~$200. I didn't want to spend over $500 and didn't want some junk $100 bike from Sears or something. I bought it because it was single gear, it is nice not to have to fuss around with gear switching, and has a lot of character to it, I like the scratches and marks that it has. Riding a single gear has been very enjoyable around the city, as it allows me to adapt to accelerate without paying attention to gears. I can't go very fast in it as it is a lower gear, however it is quite nice. I've had to do very little repairs to it, replacing the back tube is basically all that was required. Total it weighs about 5lbs, the seat has no padding but I find that it is the perfect lightweight bike for short travel.

fossala
Elite +1

28 Jul 2012, 17:03

Sorry the bike can't weight 5lb, carbon bikes weigh around 15lb.

Return to “Off-topic”