Text Editor of a Proud 60% Owner

I you are using a 60% keyboard, what is your main text editor

emacs (or clone)
14%
vi(m)
67%
Notepad or TextEdit
5%
GUI ide (Eclipse, NetBeans, Xcode, MSVS, etc)
10%
wysiwyg(MS-Word, Write, OO, Libre Office, etc)
No votes
other, console
5%
other, GUI
No votes

Total votes: 21

Burnin

19 Oct 2012, 09:47

I think every decent IT forum should have a text-editor holly war thread.

You can post your primary keyboard and text editor choice as well. Here is mine:
Keyboard: ghetto-60% membrane. waiting for PBT Pure MX-Blue to arrive
Editor: emacs

fossala
Elite +1

19 Oct 2012, 10:11

Emacs for code/uni, vi for config file edits.

CeeSA

19 Oct 2012, 11:04

vi for unix, ultraedit for win

bjarven

19 Oct 2012, 11:14

gVim for editing scripts, NetBeans with jVi plugin (making it behave as vim inside netbeans) for developing larger projects. Hmm should I vote for vim or netbeans... :P

Burnin

19 Oct 2012, 11:19

bjarven wrote:gVim for editing scripts, NetBeans with jVi plugin (making it behave as vim inside netbeans) for developing larger projects. Hmm should I vote for vim or netbeans... :P
I think 60% keyboards go well with vim and emacs, and this is keyboard forum. so i guess you should vote for vim.

Mrinterface

19 Oct 2012, 11:27

Vi FTW!

Icarium

19 Oct 2012, 11:52

vim and vi are quite different. Even the vim-tiny package that is the default on debian like systems lacks so many features that I usually miss them within a day. :)

Edit: We're probably all talking about vim anyway. I just felt like sharing some trivia. :)

bhtooefr

19 Oct 2012, 11:54

Notepad++ on Windows, TextWrangler on OS X, nano on the console on *nix.

Edit: I should say, that's on all keyboards, ranging from my Fujitsu laptop's 82-key 85% or so key size (so absolutely TINY) keyboard, to my aircraft carrier 122-key Model F.
Last edited by bhtooefr on 19 Oct 2012, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.

cactux

19 Oct 2012, 11:59

[Account and posts deleted on request]

Charlie_Brown_MX

19 Oct 2012, 12:01

vim on *nix systems, gVim on Windows, vi in the rare cases I don’t have access to [v|gV]im.

I’ll occasionally use Metapad for bashing out quick bits of text when I’m using my work PC.

Vierax

19 Oct 2012, 12:31

nano for a quick change in a config file, and OO for some printables as my resume : I rarely use text editors.

fossala
Elite +1

19 Oct 2012, 13:46

Vierax wrote:nano for a quick change in a config file, and OO for some printables as my resume : I rarely use text editors.
Latex for CV.

RC-1140

19 Oct 2012, 20:45

I'm not quite sure if it counts, as the only small keyboard I use is a G84-4100, which has function keys, and is more the size of a Noppoo choc, but even without them I guess vim would be a great choice. Vim was designed so it could be used on various keyboard designs, so you can do nearly everything with the Alphanumeric keys and Esc. It's a fantastic editor, even though the learning curve is a bit steep. The Tutorial on http://www.openvim.com/tutorial.html is pretty good for beginners. And there is vimtutor as well. But if you often work on different computers it might be advisable to know some basic settings out of your mind; I had to work on a Sun Ray Client with Oracle Solaris in the last week, and the vim there was unbelievably bad configured by default. Knowing how to turn on line numbers and stuff can be very helpful then.

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Oct 2012, 21:34

CeeSA wrote:vi for unix, ultraedit for win
Same.

fossala
Elite +1

19 Oct 2012, 21:37

webwit wrote:
Same.
Windows!? :(

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Oct 2012, 21:45

I'm sure 2013 will be the year of Linux on the desktop. I gave up 10 years ago. Since then, it became worse.

Burnin

20 Oct 2012, 07:06

fossala wrote:
webwit wrote:
Same.
Windows!? :(
Some people are still have to use window.
I make PSD to html conversion sometimes, so i need Photoshop. OS X is more unstable and more expansive(along with hardware) than windows. Photoshop under Wine has lots on glitches.

Burnin

20 Oct 2012, 07:27

RC-1140 wrote:I'm not quite sure if it counts, as the only small keyboard I use is a G84-4100, which has function keys, and is more the size of a Noppoo choc, but even without them I guess vim would be a great choice. Vim was designed so it could be used on various keyboard designs, so you can do nearly everything with the Alphanumeric keys and Esc. It's a fantastic editor, even though the learning curve is a bit steep. The Tutorial on http://www.openvim.com/tutorial.html is pretty good for beginners. And there is vimtutor as well. But if you often work on different computers it might be advisable to know some basic settings out of your mind; I had to work on a Sun Ray Client with Oracle Solaris in the last week, and the vim there was unbelievably bad configured by default. Knowing how to turn on line numbers and stuff can be very helpful then.
I used to turn on line numbers everywhere until i started using emacs. Why do we need line number anyway? We are getting an error from the compiler and it says the line number. Why not just go straight to this line with M-g g ?

I think my .emacs is one of the smallest. The only thing that is not included in the distr is Google's emacs-nav. And changed defaults: tab-width 2, automatic tab replacement with spaces and finally C-h binded to backspace.

ndp

20 Oct 2012, 11:57

Eclipse with viplugin for coding
vi for quick editing

My daily driver at work is the Noppo Choc. IMO the function keys are a requirement for Eclipse and a Dvorak/Qwerty layout is a requirement for Vi.

Findecanor

20 Oct 2012, 12:23

fossala wrote:Latex for CV.
I used to use LaTeX, but too many recruiters required it in Word format ... :twisted:

RC-1140

20 Oct 2012, 16:38

Burnin wrote:I used to turn on line numbers everywhere until i started using emacs. Why do we need line number anyway? We are getting an error from the compiler and it says the line number. Why not just go straight to this line with M-g g ?
You can do the same with vim and vi. I don't like emacs, and I can't use it as I use XMonad and Winkeyless keyboards, so ALT is my XMonad modifier. Also I don't want to use modifiers all the time, as you have to in EscapeMetaAltControlShift. Also, why should a text editor contain a psychotherapist. But I have to admit that I never productively used emacs. I tried a vim tutorial and an emacs tutorial and liked vim better. The only command I know is C-x C-q.

Burnin

20 Oct 2012, 17:31

RC-1140 wrote: You can do the same with vim and vi.
I guess you can do the same with notepad.exe too :) . I just learned the key-binding along with other and got used to it.

wanabe

20 Oct 2012, 19:09

macvim for now, but sublime text is slowly gaining share on me =)

fruktstund

20 Oct 2012, 19:36

Sublime Text on Arch Linux, Sublime Text on Gentoo and Sublime Text on Windows. Using nano when I need to edit files over SSH, also. Mainly using a HHKB. :)

Vierax

21 Oct 2012, 05:49

Findecanor wrote:
fossala wrote:Latex for CV.
I used to use LaTeX, but too many recruiters required it in Word format ... :twisted:
I can understand PDF or RTF required but not Word file : It could turn me bad and giving them some destructive malware hidden in their cherished .doc LULZ

bhtooefr

21 Oct 2012, 06:14

Here in the US, it's EXTREMELY common to require resumes in MS Word 97-2003 format, specifically.

As in, except in very specific fields (where use of LaTeX would be needed anyway - and even then, the HR department probably has no idea what LaTeX is, and requires it in Word format), or in entry level jobs that don't need a resume, no other format is accepted.

Vierax

21 Oct 2012, 06:30

That's sad to read that.

Return to “Off-topic”