Drinks for xmas.

fossala
Elite +1

24 Dec 2012, 11:25

I don't normally drink heavily, but I do on xmas. What are you drinking?

I'm drinking Bombardier ale for starters and finishing the day of with The Balvenine doublewood 12year single malt scotch. If non of you have managed to get you hands on a bottle of this stuff yet, I recomond you give it a go (as long as you like scotch).

mintberryminuscrunch

24 Dec 2012, 11:27

since I don't drink wine and my parents don't have beer
I'll have to make it bearable with port

Topre Enthusiast

24 Dec 2012, 11:44

Vodka + Soda water
A boring drink for a man who likes boring keyboards :)

GMC

24 Dec 2012, 12:31

fossala wrote:I don't normally drink heavily, but I do on xmas. What are you drinking?

I'm drinking Bombardier ale for starters and finishing the day of with The Balvenine doublewood 12year single malt scotch. If non of you have managed to get you hands on a bottle of this stuff yet, I recomond you give it a go (as long as you like scotch).
I'll swap the ale for a decent merlot or primitivo.
Got the doublewood in my decanter all ready though and will be dipping into that tonight. Got to leave a drink out for father Christmas :grin:
Top choice there my man.

dirge

24 Dec 2012, 12:37

Islay malts mainly, and a modest selection of breakfast wines.

CeeSA

24 Dec 2012, 12:44

i like whisky sour and B & B...

Ascaii
The Beard

24 Dec 2012, 12:51

I am about to leave the house to have lunch with my father. Accompanying me is a bottle of 18 year old Glen Marnoch single malt. From what I could find it is a rebottling of overproduction from a large, unnamed highland distillery. So far, Ive only read good things about it, so I figured id give this discount bottle a try. So far, my favorite single malt is a magnificent 16 year old Lagavulin, that I discovered at a local jazz club my father was playing at. A very peaty, very smoky Islay malt, the right whisky for a quiet evening. Now I regret not having a bottle of it at hand. Darn it.

webwit
Wild Duck

24 Dec 2012, 13:04

Anything over 15% tastes like pure alcohol to me. I drink beer for thirst and good spirit, wine for with food and good spirit.

RC-1140

24 Dec 2012, 13:26

Due to lack of money I can't afford all these good scotchs, sadly. I also really like Islay whiskys, and the one I currently like most, at least based on the price/taste ratio is Finlaggan 10Y. But I also enjoy Laphroaig really much, and when I'm out for something mild then I even fancy a Glenmorangie.

Acanthophis

24 Dec 2012, 13:47

As webwit I stick to wine and beer only.
I don't like alcohol that much, I prefer plants ;)

RC-1140

24 Dec 2012, 13:57

well, I don't really like alcohol as well, I like scotch. That's why I normally don't drink wine or beer, and only one or two glasses of scotch per evening.

Edit:

What this thread makes me think of:

Strike that "e"
Last edited by RC-1140 on 24 Dec 2012, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

dirge

24 Dec 2012, 14:07

Ascaii wrote:So far, my favorite single malt is a magnificent 16 year old Lagavulin, that I discovered at a local jazz club my father was playing at. A very peaty, very smoky Islay malt, the right whisky for a quiet evening. Now I regret not having a bottle of it at hand. Darn it.
We're pissing in the same sink mate :) Lagavulin's my fave too :)

Used to get it for £25 a bottle at the cash and carry, damn I miss those days lol. People thought I was odd for drinking it over jack daniels.....

The cask strength 12 year old is off the charts, sell more keycaps and get a bottle! :)

rodtang

24 Dec 2012, 16:16

Low alcohol cider :?

Merry Christmas!

bhtooefr

24 Dec 2012, 16:32

I've got some Woodchuck Amber in the fridge.

There's always this, with some Captain Morgan added: http://www.kitchentreaty.com/slow-cooke ... ple-cider/

hoggy

24 Dec 2012, 17:12

I've discovered that some spirits are for drinking, some for cooking, and some for the cupboard.

korne

24 Dec 2012, 17:54

Martin Miller gin and Fever Tree tonic :P

Also a good variation of spanish wine's

Perfect combo

Ascaii
The Beard

24 Dec 2012, 18:16

dirge wrote:
Ascaii wrote:So far, my favorite single malt is a magnificent 16 year old Lagavulin, that I discovered at a local jazz club my father was playing at. A very peaty, very smoky Islay malt, the right whisky for a quiet evening. Now I regret not having a bottle of it at hand. Darn it.
We're pissing in the same sink mate :) Lagavulin's my fave too :)

Used to get it for £25 a bottle at the cash and carry, damn I miss those days lol. People thought I was odd for drinking it over jack daniels.....

The cask strength 12 year old is off the charts, sell more keycaps and get a bottle! :)
Very interesting, that sounds like a spirit I will definitely enjoy! I'll check by some Berlin whisky stores in the new year and see if I can procure a bottle. Looks like I can get a bottle online for about 55€, but I prefer supporting brick and mortar stores where I can.

As for the 18 year old Glen Mornach ( sold in german Aldi stores under the name "Blackstone Single Malt Highland Scotch Whisky 18 Years aged"for 19.99€): I was very pleasantly surprised.
Nose: fruity, not unlike the smell of a good apple crumble, with a bit of burnt butter or sugar.
Taste: Very fruity opening, mild on the tongue, very smooth. Finish matches the nose, right back to the apples.

It reminds me a lot of a 12 year Glenfiddich I got for Christmas last year...especially the powerful fruity opening bears an uncanny resemblance. I haven't tried enough different Highland and Speyside whiskies to make a final verdict, but I tend towards speyside more than the highlands.

Id say it is well worth the price tag for anyone that enjoys a milder single malt like Glenfiddich or The Glenlivet. Germans...if you have ab Aldi Nord near you that still has a bottle of this limited offer you should definitely consider buying it, well worth the 20€ price tag.

dirge

24 Dec 2012, 18:24

We've got an Aldi near here so will need to pop in and see if they stock it :)

The supermarkets do own brand Islay malt, as there's only like 6 distilleries on the island the results are pretty good. Unfortunately the price has crept up over the years from £12 to now £19 putting them in line with the discounted regulars.

I was lucky a few months back and found Aberlour in ASDA for £12! Not something I'd normally go for but for that price I couldn't resist.

Ascaii
The Beard

24 Dec 2012, 18:34

dirge wrote:We've got an Aldi near here so will need to pop in and see if they stock it :)

The supermarkets do own brand Islay malt, as there's only like 6 distilleries on the island the results are pretty good. Unfortunately the price has crept up over the years from £12 to now £19 putting them in line with the discounted regulars.

I was lucky a few months back and found Aberlour in ASDA for £12! Not something I'd normally go for but for that price I couldn't resist.
They have a Blackstone 18 year old here every year shortly before christmas as a limited offer. Ive been trying to find reviews in the german whisky communities and people seem to agree that the original source tends to vary nearly every year, so it might be a completely different whisky next year. I am going to see if I can find another bottle to toss into my pantry.

fossala
Elite +1

24 Dec 2012, 18:38

Nice to see a lot of scotch and whisky drinkers here.

Ascaii
The Beard

24 Dec 2012, 18:50

fossala wrote:Nice to see a lot of scotch and whisky drinkers here.
Same here...perhaps we should open a dedicated thread to discuss whisky. I know I tend to get sidetracked rather easily, I am afraid I derailed this christmas drinks threads a bit. Sorry.

dirge

24 Dec 2012, 19:03

Not derailed, it's xmas eve and we've got a drink in our hands :)

kk that's me, off to cuddle the little one and get her super hyper for tomorrow morning lol :D have fun guys :)

mintberryminuscrunch

24 Dec 2012, 19:04

I'd rather you don't. This just opens the door to handwriting and firearms threads :twisted:

webwit
Wild Duck

24 Dec 2012, 19:10

Combine them all here. Whiskey and firearms, a great combination.

bhtooefr

24 Dec 2012, 19:21

Then there's the rednecks that talk about how the ATF would be a great idea for a convenience store.

TheSoulhunter

25 Dec 2012, 10:10

Glühwein!

Halverson

25 Dec 2012, 10:18

Nothing like tall boys of pabst blue ribbon on Christmas.

fruktstund

25 Dec 2012, 12:28

Drank lots and lots of homemade glögg (mulled wine?) and also lots of homemade snaps. No beer, strangely enough - most likely my father who thought he could save some money by not buying any. :>

On a related note (although an alcohol free one), I also drank a more luxurious julmust which I'd stored since last Christmas. That particular julmust, from a brewery called Zeunerts, tastes great usually, but when it had been kept for a year it tasted magnificent. I recommend all Swedes who're able to find some Zeunerts' julmust to try this out. ;)
For those of you that haven't tasted julmust, I'd recommend you try it! Might be my favourite soft-drink. Don't know where to find it outside of Sweden though, maybe on IKEA?

webwit
Wild Duck

25 Dec 2012, 12:36

I'll trade you for an oliebol.

fruktstund

25 Dec 2012, 15:16

webwit wrote:I'll trade you for an oliebol.
Looks edible! But they do look a bit weird... If you could spare an oliebol until Easter, I could trade you for some mämmi, since it looks equally weird!

Return to “Off-topic”