Is this legal in U.S.?

Menuhin

17 Apr 2017, 12:57

Germany does not have the most peaceful living environment in the world, but Germany has relatively much lower crime rate that makes people feel safe to walk alone on the street at night, and not afraid of other people approaching them in a neighborhood full of graffiti.

To be fair, especially about violence crime, we have to look at the data (probably still apply, just 1-2 world cups time away):

Mr.Nobody

17 Apr 2017, 13:41

This kind of shit did happen in China, but that's 10 years ago. Nowadays,if a police officer behave like this,he will lose his job, for sure. Police officers have the right to stop you and check your ID card, if you look suspecious, and they have a device to scan your ID card to check if there is any criminal record of you, if you are clean, then they will just return your ID card and let you go.

This event happened a week ago, and caused a helluva ripple...you may already know...coz it's on front page, where is the so-called human right man?

codemonkeymike

17 Apr 2017, 18:01

Not a police officer BTW, its airport security. They are federal employees not municipality employees.

Also the whole comparing USA to Germany is filled with issues not because of 100's of years of history but more on the most recent 100 years of history. There was segregation and redlining which caused generational poverty which carries to this day. Redlining didn't stop till recently and segregation happened till the 1970's. The other big part is the availability of guns and prescription pills. An over simplification but those are some of the biggest issues that cause crimes in the US now.

Menuhin

17 Apr 2017, 20:43

codemonkeymike wrote: ... generational poverty which carries to this day. Redlining didn't stop till recently and segregation happened till the 1970's. The other big part is the availability of guns ... over simplification ...
It can be an over simplification but you pointed it out that criminal incentive in the US can be more related to people living on the edge due to vast disparity of living standards in the population.

As an example, a colleague (actually my academic 'father', a Jew born and raised in the US) had his apartment broken in. Having lived in WA and PA most of his life, he said, similar to the reports of many other 'expats', the job was done quite clean and 'professionally'. That is to say, Germany is not a country without any crime, but crimes in Germany seem to be quite well planned, compared to those gun fights and armed robberies in the US, one of those killed one colleague when I was living in PA. In Germany, I heard stories from friends who work as social workers and ER doctors too - not that those stupid brutal fight between people or gangs do not exist, but the scale is comparatively much smaller.

Some examples of crimes in Germany that made into the news:
German gang heist nets a million at poker tournament
Robbers tunnel 100ft underground to break into Volksbank Berlin
Berlin museum robbers used wheelbarrow, ladder to make off with coin worth millions

Menuhin

17 Apr 2017, 20:54

Mr.Nobody wrote: This kind of shit did happen in China, but that's 10 years ago. Nowadays,if a police officer behave like this,he will lose his job, for sure. Police officers have the right to stop you and check your ID card, if you look suspecious, and they have a device to scan your ID card to check if there is any criminal record of you, if you are clean, then they will just return your ID card and let you go.

This event happened a week ago, and caused a helluva ripple...you may already know...coz it's on front page, where is the so-called human right man?
Spoiler:
Think about it, these United Airline security picked a 'random' person carefully: :evil: :twisted: :evilgeek:

Imagine if they picked a female: they'll be attacked by all the feminists.
They had to pick a male passenger.
They couldn't pick a strong young man which will make the job more difficult, so they picked an older man.
Then it's about race: they definitely couldn't pick an African American, otherwise they'll be attacked by the community about their racist intent; they obviously also didn't want to mess with the wrong 'white' person, just in case.
They ended up narrowing it down to picking a 'brown' or 'Asian' older male passenger.

Probably no one wants to fly with such an airline unless they have to:

chuckdee

17 Apr 2017, 21:32

fohat wrote: I am afraid that I have to disagree with you there. As a general rule, today, I believe that "the Left" holds the rule of law in much higher regard and respect than "the Right" and I think that there are 2 primary components to it:
I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this, as I'm talking the more ground level judicial politics that could be affected in those municipalities where either side has power, but no changes have been forthcoming, and do not seem to be in the pipeline.

Mr.Nobody

18 Apr 2017, 03:54

Return to “Off-topic”