July 29th Windows 10!

andrewjoy

30 Jul 2015, 11:19

Yeh , pci-e drives are the future , SATA is slow now :P.

We are going back to the days of the hard card , but you know ... fast :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcard

I was looking for a board with 2 M.2 ports for a decent price and then get 2 of them but my wallet could only stretch so far.

Muirium
µ

30 Jul 2015, 11:28

The SATA bus limits SSD speed.
DisplayPort tops out below 60Hz 5k.
I wonder how much faster PCI is than 2018's SSDs.

Anyone notice a trend? Not much forward thinking in standards these days.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

30 Jul 2015, 11:33

Right you can have all the NAND speed you want if the bus tops out it's pretty pathetic. No I do think new stuff is coming but as usual it's taking a while before we have it for daily usage.

Topre Enthusiast

30 Jul 2015, 11:34

Yeah I'm sure I saw (didn't read) an article saying that SSDs are obsolete in their current form but you can't deny that they are a whooooole lot better than mechanical drives running your OS from. I wonder if we will eventually see motherboards that have the storage chips directly on the board? You'd only need enough room for the OS as that's generally what most people are doing with SSDs anyway unless your Mr. Moneybags.

andrewjoy

30 Jul 2015, 11:37

PCI-e 3.0 x4 can go up to about 4000MB/s so we will be ok for a few years :P

DisplayPort 3.0 can go to 7680×4320 @ 60

Muirium
µ

30 Jul 2015, 11:41

Good. But where the duck is it? Intel's dragging Thunderbolt so slowly the 5k iMac had to go without.
002 wrote: I wonder if we will eventually see motherboards that have the storage chips directly on the board? You'd only need enough room for the OS as that's generally what most people are doing with SSDs anyway unless your Mr. Moneybags.
In a decade or two, everything will be on die. Right inside the CPU, where it all belongs. You guys will get to choose one item from Intel's price list. Well, if they're the ones to get there first. Sure as hell haven't managed to branch out into phones successfully.

bhtooefr

30 Jul 2015, 12:50

Except we're running into the problem that chipmaking is rapidly approaching atomic limits. Once that happens, the only thing that can be done is to try to simplify designs to make the capability density higher without increasing component density.

That barrier is going to be hit long before we can get significant amounts of on-die RAM, flash, 3D XPoint, memristors, whatever. Now, package-on-package is absolutely a thing for mobile applications (and Samsung is selling a PoP device that gives 3 GiB of LPDDR3 and 32 GiB of eMMC), but that's not suitable for anything beefier than a smartphone or tablet chip for cooling reasons.

Khers

30 Jul 2015, 12:58

andrewjoy wrote: samsung SM951.

Make sure you have the PCIe 3.0 lanes for it :)
NVMe or not? Looks like quite a decent drive for at least a half-decent price.

andrewjoy

30 Jul 2015, 13:23

they do both an NVME and AHCI version

Mine is the AHCI version

seebart

30 Jul 2015, 13:40

Khers wrote:
andrewjoy wrote: samsung SM951.

Make sure you have the PCIe 3.0 lanes for it :)
NVMe or not? Looks like quite a decent drive for at least a half-decent price.
Yeah I found one for € 180 which is not bad.

nezro

30 Jul 2015, 17:56

andrewjoy wrote:
002 wrote: Oh right, I probably should have followed up :D
I downloaded and built installation media for the 64-bit Pro version and successfully did upgrades of all my machines with it. So far so good.

Biggest gripe so far is actually with OneDrive. They removed the context menu options allowing you to make folders online-only or make files available offline. So now you can only sync everything or nothing...that really shits me. I liked being able to see my files without having to log on to OneDrive :(

so if you have a valid win7/8.1 you can download the ISO and install it over the top ?

Also

https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

your welcome , or

http://www.classicshell.net/

i miss just pressing start and then typing what i want ( equivalent of command space on mac)

Both bring it back but start 10 is closer to win7 menu than clasicshell
You can still do what you mentioned without these. Just hit the win key and type what you want to search for.

Touch_It

30 Jul 2015, 21:11

Does anyone know of a way to bring back the "classic" version of windows update? This is my biggest gripe so far.

andrewjoy

30 Jul 2015, 21:49

the old windows update is thankfully gone.

Gone are the days of people never updaing there OS , it will just ato update in the background

If you have enterprise or pro you can defer updates but that's about it.

I think this is a good move however i think it should not apply to device drivers as i want to always have latest from nvidia

I am just trying to get my sound card working at the moment

everything else is good

EDIT

sound card working .

EDIT 2

Its only just occurred but is it just me that things windows 10 looks exactly like linux mint ?

Madhias
BS TORPE

03 Aug 2015, 14:02

Oh my, Windows 10 upgrade has arrived here in the company too, and all Windows 7 machines quietly are downloading the installation files. We only have a dedicated line with 8 mbit/sec up and down, so the overall speed is slow, very slow. I can now manually deactivate the downloading on the clients (hopefully we will get a VDI environment soon), and that's how the traffic monitor on the firewall looks since 8 in the morning:

bhtooefr

03 Aug 2015, 16:02

I ended up writing a blog post on how I actually figured out how to get Windows 10 going on my tablet: http://bhtooefr.org/blog/2015/08/02/qui ... indows-10/

andrewjoy

05 Aug 2015, 10:31

Madhias wrote: Oh my, Windows 10 upgrade has arrived here in the company too, and all Windows 7 machines quietly are downloading the installation files. We only have a dedicated line with 8 mbit/sec up and down, so the overall speed is slow, very slow. I can now manually deactivate the downloading on the clients (hopefully we will get a VDI environment soon), and that's how the traffic monitor on the firewall looks since 8 in the morning:

once windows 10 is installed on one client it can seed updates to other clients on the network (and over the internet , but you should turn that off as you dont know where that filth internet has been)

Now i dunno if it will do this for the main update from 7/8.1 to 10 but once installed you should see your traffic for updates go down, kind of like how apples server.app cacheing service works (one of the few things that works well)

I am quire surprised how well win 10 works , its there best work since windows 7 and if it keeps up a good pace of updates then it will be the best Microsoft os since the mighty windows 2000.

I am even tempted to give microsoft edge a go once they get extensions working. I cannot surf without addblock and vimium

SL89

05 Aug 2015, 15:18

So I got Win10 on my work machine, and it murdered Intel's drivers. I lost 2 of my three monitors thus far and I can only output via VGA. Lenovo and Intel both are pointing fingers at Microsoft for now. So I grabbed another machine and am back on Win7 (after being on Win8.1 for about a year.)

What parts of it work are ok, but holy shit, the amount of hoops i had to jump through to disable any and all of the tracking and advertising is bad bad news. I understand user apathy is probably at an all time high, but I can't justify allowing all of this. Esp on my personal machines. For work I'll try to avoid 10, and for home I may have to go full tilt into linuxland.

andrewjoy

05 Aug 2015, 15:34

drivers with a news os are always an issue , my soundcard is no longer officially supported as the company that made it is dead . It uses a creative chipset but its not a creative card. I had to use some modded creative drivers that support that chipset.

(wish i had gone pure creative now but i waned the built in headphone amp)

Dont get me wrong windows is still a games machine for me . Linux is far better for me if i did not game as i like to have things nice and simple.

But as a game OS on new supported hardware its very good for me at what i want it for.

SL89

05 Aug 2015, 20:29

Of course the drivers will show up eventually.

Irregardless the amount of liberties MS has taken is just too high.

chzel

05 Aug 2015, 20:32

I installed them yesterday on a VM, and all the crap phone-home-to-tell-MS-what-I-m-doing is opt-out...Crap...
Didn't get much done with them but they seem nice!

seebart

05 Aug 2015, 20:41

I guess I'm lucky, no problems sofar. I actually find the privacy settings better than in Windows 7. I don't remember being asked upon installation of Windows 7 what my preferences regarding privacy settings were. Windows update has changed a little but it's not too strange. Performance seems fine on my "old" machine. If you look at system configurations it's clear much has not changed at all.

chzel

05 Aug 2015, 20:55

From first look, MS seems to try to become Google in learning what you do and what are your habits and all, but seems more upfront about it. Which I like. I'd prefer they were opt-in though!

seebart

05 Aug 2015, 21:03

Right, I was suprised by the options right at installation. On the other hand it was clear to me that Cortana collects the data entered. I do not need or use Cortana. The "new" start menu, well what can I say. A compromise is what it is.

Muirium
µ

05 Aug 2015, 21:31

My fellow Mac using brother thinks Cortana sounds like Windows 10's best feature.

My Windows using gamer friend would like to turn it off completely.

macmakkara

05 Aug 2015, 21:39

Windows 10 if you want to play solitaire without adds pay more money!

SL89

05 Aug 2015, 21:51

I turned off Cortana, and all the rest of the intrusions. Other then that and the driver snafu its very nice. They did a great job listening to the public about the wants and needs.

zts

06 Aug 2015, 09:25

Hope it works better than 8/8.1 ... I used Win 10 Preview and it looked OK, not as good as Win 7, but considering 2 major failures in the "Vista series" (Vista itself and 8) the 10 should be OK. For business uses I'll probably wait for Win 10 Service Pack 1 or whatever is now equivalent to it.

Touch_It

08 Aug 2015, 19:14

I'm liking 10 more than 8. So far only because of the new start menu. I'll I've done is play games and browse the interwebs. Does those just fine and haven't seen any issues besides a slight hang on auto hotkey install. Probably wasn't even an issue specifically caused by windows 10

fohat
Elder Messenger

09 Aug 2015, 00:02

andrewjoy wrote:
drivers with a news os are always an issue , my soundcard is no longer officially supported as the company that made it is dead.
This is what just burns my ass, every time. USB is supposed to have the word "universal" in it, no?

I have several pieces of old hardware (OMG, after the turn of the millennium is now "old"?) that I really like, in particular, a Microtek scanner, that requires chasing down a "gray" software driver (usually a driver for a slightly different model number, but not from the original manufacturer) with each "upgrade" but which works perfectly well once installed.

When my Creative Elite Pro X-Fi card (circa ~ 2007) stops working I will be seriously pissed off.

Muirium
µ

09 Aug 2015, 18:04

Universal Serial Bus. It's a great success at being what it says in the name. No one ever mentioned drivers, that's for your OS to handle. I much prefer USB to the lunatic mess of shitey random ports that preceded it. You needed drivers for anything as fancy as a sound module in those days too. USB cleaned up a lot of physical mess.

Return to “Off-topic”