What is last impulse but that you really don't/didin't need? (No KB)

macmakkara

11 Sep 2015, 14:29

Well... Il start this with New graphics card radeon r9 295x2... My r9 290x worked perfectly and i really didin't need any more GPU power but i got great deal on this one and i had to take it. :lol:

andrewjoy

11 Sep 2015, 14:37

:) i hope you saved up for the power bill :P

I did the same , i would have been fine with a 980 but i got a Ti as well it was only a bit more expensive

SL89

11 Sep 2015, 14:44

I ordered more inks for my fountain pens: Noodler's Baystate Blue (with free eyedropper pen) and Noodler's Blue Ghost. I'm thinking of using the Ghost on an uninked pad with a custom stamp, as a bit of a secret seal as it glows in the dark, and I got the Baystate Blue because I have red, green and black so far and realized I wanted some blue.

Muirium
µ

11 Sep 2015, 15:39

Um. Hmm. Cheapskate contemplation… I guess I have more hats than heads, so there's that.

Besides for keyboards, I'm a stingy mutha. If it works, thank the stars: IT STILL WORKS!

I only replace things after they're either totally broken (usually lack of software support) or I can't bear their inadequacies any longer. Then I spend a long time setting aside the dough for them. Current examples: my hideously slow Canon 350D, my iPhone 4s and my iPad 1! Two of those were free gifts…

macmakkara

11 Sep 2015, 15:46

andrewjoy wrote: :) i hope you saved up for the power bill :P

I did the same , i would have been fine with a 980 but i got a Ti as well it was only a bit more expensive
Well... Im going to move at end of this mont and where im moving i have free electricity... For some time....

hammelgammler
Vintage

12 Sep 2015, 02:59

macmakkara wrote:
andrewjoy wrote: :) i hope you saved up for the power bill :P

Well... Im going to move at end of this mont and where im moving i have free electricity... For some time....
24/7 bitcoin mining incoming... :twisted:

Hak Foo

12 Sep 2015, 05:42

37 bucks worth of semi-premium fans for my PC case.

zslane

12 Sep 2015, 07:41

One of these:
Turns out I really didn't need it because a month after I got it I decided instead to learn to play the real thing:

Muirium
µ

12 Sep 2015, 12:28

Without a sense of scale (and browsing on an iPhone so I didn't see the second picture) I honestly wondered if that was the most feature rich (and ugly) stylus I'd ever seen!

But the real instrument's a beaut. They're capable of mind bending awesomeness in expert hands. And, uh, Old King Wencelas before you reach that!

macmakkara

12 Sep 2015, 20:05

Ooh sweet. Clarinets are epic!

E. ... I was just looking on EWI and it showed as electronic clarinet... Don't know that much about wind instruments..
Last edited by macmakkara on 14 Sep 2015, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

13 Sep 2015, 23:50

Electronic wind instruments have tempted me before, primarily for use as a MIDI controller and not really as a substitute for a regular wind instrument though. How does oboe compare? I imagined EWIs as more like clarinet/sax but I've never tried.

The last impulse that I really don't need? It has to be this:
RhythmAlarm3RA030.jpg
RhythmAlarm3RA030.jpg (571.11 KiB) Viewed 3213 times

zslane

14 Sep 2015, 07:34

How does the EWI compare to a real oboe?

In terms of its sound, well, that is entirely dependent on the quality of the synth you hook it up to. Its built-in synth is pretty nice, and its oboe preset does sound like an oboe, but it lacks any distinctive tonal character, as you might expect from a mass-market synth.

In terms of playability, well, the EWI makes playing almost trivially easy compared to a real oboe. Playing the oboe is the musical equivalent to getting into the Octagon with Slade Wilson, especially for a beginner.

Compgeke

14 Sep 2015, 17:44

Bought an ADI AD2003 counter with Numitron tubes. Don't really need it but might find something for it some day.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

14 Sep 2015, 18:07

One of the Hall effect keyboards I own came with a terminal that was not the correct terminal for the keyboard. So now I have a terminal that I paid entirely too much to get, that I can't use, and that will be difficult to sell.

Return to “Off-topic”