Tim Cook's letter to customers

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

04 Mar 2016, 22:12

Redmaus wrote: Yeah on reddit the threads are only connected by single comments and on GH they don't allow this kind of discussion derailing.

DT for life 8-)
See Redmaus, now that's a solid statement. ;)

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

05 Mar 2016, 03:56

jacobolus wrote: Yeah, no. The political discussion on Deskthority is sadly totally clueless. Especially when it comes to American politics, everyone is out of touch and misunderstands the basic context. (No offense guys. I would be similarly unprepared to talk about e.g. German domestic politics. This is also nothing unique to Deskthority. From time to time I read European newspaper analyses of American politics, and they are almost always weirdly misinformed.)

As for immigration: Immigration is a huge boost to the US. The xenophobic, racist, nativist politics is entirely counterproductive if the goal is helping working-class whites.

I'm interested to know who you think is not totally clueless about political discussion, because the Deskthority crowd seems to have a better grip than most Americans I chat with. Politic is such a polemical and emotional topic in America, you can't discuss it without someone elevating to yells and facts usually have no place in the discussion.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

05 Mar 2016, 06:55

Its all about things like respecting peoples views even though you disagree with them, not trying to dominate the conversation by using being loud and obnoxious, and letting people finish their points without interrupting.

People don't like to argue when they can't even execute a proper counterargument.

Just being polite really :)

fohat
Elder Messenger

05 Mar 2016, 16:33

Redmaus wrote:
People don't like to argue when they can't even execute a proper counterargument.
Honestly, Redmaus, I can't recall ever seeing a proper counterargument coming from you. That is, something that includes history, facts, logical analysis, etc. Please link to one for us to review.

ohaimark
Kingpin

05 Mar 2016, 16:39

Redmaus' arguments do tend to suffer from anecdotal fallacies. Or appeals to himself as an authority.

Return to “Off-topic”