RIP Dennis Ritchie

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Oct 2011, 17:56

Dennis Ritchie passed away. Of course his influence has been much bigger than Steve Jobs' ever was, although CNN doesn't seem to run a story this time. His ideas and its descendants are probably running on every computer and cellphone on this planet.

Ascaii
The Beard

13 Oct 2011, 18:09

Ill share a quote I read today:
Dennis Ritchie (1941-2011). His pointer has been cast to void *; his process has terminated with exit code 0.

woody
Count Troller

13 Oct 2011, 19:24

webwit wrote:Dennis Ritchie passed away. Of course his influence has been much bigger than Steve Jobs' ever was, although CNN doesn't seem to run a story this time. His ideas and its descendants are probably running on every computer and cellphone on this planet.
One either understands the impact he made or doesn't.

RIP dmr.

lal

13 Oct 2011, 20:49

Shit. What a loss. He'll never share his experience with the ASR-33 with us.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

13 Oct 2011, 22:05

I must say - this saddened me more than Steve Jobs' passing. I guess it's to do with my constant exposure to the products of Mr. Ritchie, and not those of Mr. Jobs.

Findecanor

13 Oct 2011, 23:09

Mmm.. There is an old saying: "C programmers never die. They are just cast into void."

Daniel Beaver

14 Oct 2011, 00:22

RIP. The people who matter will remember :)

7bit

14 Oct 2011, 12:54

webwit wrote:Dennis Ritchie passed away. Of course his influence has been much bigger than Steve Jobs' ever was, although CNN doesn't seem to run a story this time. His ideas and its descendants are probably running on every computer and cellphone on this planet.
That's really a sad news!

Without Jobs I'd simply use a different window manager, without Ritchie I'd still code in Pascal and would use an operating system which had been coded in assembler ...

:sad:

Brian8bit

25 Oct 2011, 15:07

Not been a good few weeks for tech at all. John McCarthy is dead now as well (inventor of LISP).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McCar ... scientist)

webwit
Wild Duck

25 Oct 2011, 15:25

Damn. When I learned C and LISP in college, someone told me if you know these you know basically all programming languages. All can be derived from these. He was right.

ripster

25 Oct 2011, 16:46

Damn, no wonder I'm so bad at HTML.

All I learned was BASIC and Fortran.

Findecanor

25 Oct 2011, 17:12

Three icons in computing have died this month... Will someone else die in the six days that are left?

itlnstln

25 Oct 2011, 17:15

Findecanor wrote:Three icons in computing have died this month
Can you restore them from the Recycle Bin?

webwit
Wild Duck

25 Oct 2011, 17:34

UNIX beards don't have a recycle bin so they cannot be restored.

Steve Jobs however was reincarnated.

mintberryminuscrunch

25 Oct 2011, 18:06

good for him :twisted:

cheynestoking

11 Nov 2011, 10:30

Nice to see the Fedora Project dedicated their latest release to dmr: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fed ... ation.html

Return to “Off-topic”