A new car...

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

28 Mar 2016, 22:12

I think it is only a matter of time before all new car are internet capable. Even the long-end new cars seem to come with that option. Not to mention self driving cars becoming more prevalent.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Apr 2016, 20:14

got a toyota yaris at the end. very happy with it so far.

Only thing... It comes with rear camera and sensors... now I can't park anymore. it's easier if you don't mind them and park by "instinct" like the old days.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

20 Apr 2016, 20:19

i-park-where-i-want_o_2607755.jpg
i-park-where-i-want_o_2607755.jpg (127.59 KiB) Viewed 7859 times

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

21 Apr 2016, 12:08

matt3o wrote: got a toyota yaris at the end. very happy with it so far.

Only thing... It comes with rear camera and sensors... now I can't park anymore. it's easier if you don't mind them and park by "instinct" like the old days.
Yea, the Yaris is cheap and gets the job done of going from point a to b. Definitely a good choice for low long term cost.

On another note, I'm surprised that even low end model like the Yaris comes with the backup camera. I thought such features were somewhat premium. But what do I know, I drive a 1998 model.

Scarpia

21 Apr 2016, 16:49

Agreed. The Yaris will last long and run well. My parents have had theirs since I think the first year it was launched, and they've never had any problems. One of my uncles has one too, slightly newer, but same story. Mechanically I can't think of a better choice. Congratulations!

bhtooefr

21 Apr 2016, 17:08

vivalarevolución wrote: On another note, I'm surprised that even low end model like the Yaris comes with the backup camera. I thought such features were somewhat premium. But what do I know, I drive a 1998 model.
They're about to become mandatory in the US, and they're cheap enough that some cars are getting it standard before the mandate comes into effect.

Engicoder

21 Apr 2016, 21:18

bhtooefr wrote:
vivalarevolución wrote: On another note, I'm surprised that even low end model like the Yaris comes with the backup camera. I thought such features were somewhat premium. But what do I know, I drive a 1998 model.
They're about to become mandatory in the US, and they're cheap enough that some cars are getting it standard before the mandate comes into effect.
A lot of them have such a small screen and poor camera that I think they might give false sense of what is behind you. Good to see if there is a child there but not very good for backing up.

bhtooefr

22 Apr 2016, 14:12

What sucks is when automakers make cars that you can't see out of the back of (see most modern cars), then put terrible backup camera systems, or nothing at all, in.

At least modern infotainment systems mean that there's usually a decent screen for the camera to be displayed on, nowadays.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Apr 2016, 15:31

The screen is decent and quite big, the camera is definitely low quality, but it has a light fish-eye effect and you have a very clear view of everything behind you.

I just find it unpractical to use, it takes more time to check the video than actually park the goddamn car. Also the sensors are set with at least 10-15cm margin, to park overhere you have probably 5cm margin when you are lucky.

If you turn your head and try to check with your eyes, visibility is actually pretty bad.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

23 Apr 2016, 15:32

My big gripe with the increasing amount of mandatory safety features in modern vehicles is that each mandatory safety feature raises the base cost of a new cars. The mandatory features intends to solve the problem of drivers that do not follow the proper safety and maintenance precautions that drivers already should know, anyways. Basic stuff, like checking your tire pressure and pumping the brakes when they lock up. But whatever, I suppose they are there because a great deal of drivers will freak out in the event of losing control of the car or cannot be bothered with checking their tire pressure once every couple weeks.

bhtooefr

26 Apr 2016, 20:31

To be entirely fair, a good ABS system can produce shorter stopping distances than even the best driver threshold braking or pumping the brakes.

That said, the best solution would be making things such that cars aren't necessary for daily life. Most people are unenthusiastic about driving, and therefore don't try to be good at it, they only do it because they have to. However, until we can get infrastructure to the point where that's the case, we need to protect people (both inside and outside of the car) from their lack of skill somehow.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

29 Sep 2016, 02:57

necro

Looks like I am now in the market for a new car. Not too thrilled about the car buying process. The only car I ever have owned is one that was given to me by my grandfather when he died, and I drove that for 10 years. Been going without a car for a couple months now, but it is proving to be a major inconvenience in my city.

chiptea

29 Sep 2016, 05:14

I'm pretty into cars myself, and judging from the fact that you want low cost, maintenance, good fuel economy, etc, I really do suggest a Honda CRX. I know they're old, but they've been proven time and time again. Golden little cars with incredible handling. Where I am I can get a CRX Si in good condition for about 2k. New cars are an absolute money pit, and unless you despise second-hand thing I strongly suggest you don't get into them. Also, the whole "old cars are unreliable" thing is not true at all. Many older cars are simple, so there's not much to go wrong. Also, they've been going through "real world testing" for 20-30 years, so people online know EVERYTHING about them. Btw don't let dealer warranties fool you: You still have to pay for most things. Check ups/oil changes ended up costing $500-800 on the family Versa while it was still in warranty. Learn to wrench a little and it'll end up saving you THOUSANDS in the end. More money to spend on keyboards ;)

If you don't like the CRX look into AW11s (best), 2nd gen Preludes, E30 BMWs, etc. Don't buy a modern econobox please!

fohat
Elder Messenger

29 Sep 2016, 15:01

As I said earlier in the thread, I am on my 3rd Toyota Camry and they have gone >15 years and >200K miles.
(don't do the math straight up - they were not each bought new beginning in 1971)

Get the 4-cylinder, the engine is renowned for its durability.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

29 Sep 2016, 15:13

I am willing to do some wrenching on a used vehicle, but my old car had too much rust and intentionally complex parts to do much wrenching. I do lean towards cars that are low cost, fuel efficient, reliable, boring, etc., but I am willing to pay more for something fun to drive as long as it is easy enough to wrench myself and avoid labor costs. I average no more than 10,000 miles/year, and I hope to keep that down to 5000-6000 miles/year with my next vehicle. Considering how little I drive, new cars don't seem worth the price premium.

I was looking into Geo Metros locally, as they have proven to be simple, cheap, easy to work on, and fuel efficient, similar to the Honda CRX (although not nearly as fun to drive). Looks like there are a few CRXs in the area going for ~$2500,I will consider them as well. Know anything about the later generation Preludes and maybe the Del Sol? Plenty of those are floating around in the area.

On the other end of the spectrum with new/newish cars, the type that intrigues me the most is the plug-in hybrids. I can do most of my local trips on battery power and then have the gasoline engine for the longer trips. While I know the long-term cost probably is lower with a straight hybrid or even gasoline car at current oil prices, I willing to pay more for the technology, I like it that much. But the only one that is in my price range AND would be fun to drive is the Audi A3 E-tron. I know Audis are pricier to maintain, but I don't anything about how easy they are to work on as an owner. Nevermind.

I love full electric cars, but they are not a realistic option because I do not have a reliable place to charge them (will not be owning a home anytime soon) and I don't want to pay a ridiculous price per hour at a public charging station.

And $500-$800 for routine maintenance on a Versa, that is insane. That thing is a cheap, small box on wheels.
Last edited by vivalarevolución on 29 Sep 2016, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

29 Sep 2016, 15:26

fohat wrote: As I said earlier in the thread, I am on my 3rd Toyota Camry and they have gone >15 years and >200K miles.
(don't do the math straight up - they were not each bought new beginning in 1971)

The problem I have with the Camrys and other similar low cost cars with reliable reputations (Corolla, Accord, etc.) is they bore the shit out of me. I can just imagine myself walking into the garage and asking myself why I bought such a boring car. It's not a rational thought for owning a car, but I am a human, and humans are not rational.

fohat
Elder Messenger

29 Sep 2016, 16:33

vivalarevolución wrote:
they bore the shit out of me.
Can't argue about that. On the other hand, my 15-year-old, brown, 4-door Camry is almost invisible to thieves and cops.

chiptea

29 Sep 2016, 16:34

vivalarevolución wrote:
fohat wrote: As I said earlier in the thread, I am on my 3rd Toyota Camry and they have gone >15 years and >200K miles.

The problem I have with the Camrys and other similar low cost cars with reliable reputations (Corolla, Accord, etc.) is they bore the shit out of me. I can just imagine myself walking into the garage and asking myself why I bought such a boring car. It's not a rational thought for owning a car, but I am a human, and humans are not rational.
Ok, I'll suggest something that I'll be getting for my self veeeery soon. If you want something fun, ultra reliable, and pretty cheap, get a good condition AW11 MR2. NA or supercharged, doesn't really matter. They have 4age engines, that were actually put in corollas, and they just keep going. One very important thing, however, is do not buy a car with rust. Ever. (unless you like bodywork). Keep in mind that bubbles on paint mean that the rust in that area is way further spread than what you can see from the surface. Better buy a bad engine good body car, as engine swaps are much easier and low cost compared to cutting/welding/bondo.

Preludes are nice, but I'm only really a fan of the 2nd gen. The other ones feel like two door corollas from what I've heard. Del sols are kind of the same. Less fun than CRXs, just as reliable, but imo not as cool looking.

webwit
Wild Duck

29 Sep 2016, 17:03

Still driving in my now 18 year old Mazda Xedos 6. I've been telling myself for years I should buy a new car, but it just keeps on going, high reliability, loss costs, and I can't get anywhere near that 2.0 V6 power for a similar price. Love that engine. So smooth yet powerful. Can hit 100 km/h in second.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

29 Sep 2016, 17:50

chiptea wrote:
Ok, I'll suggest something that I'll be getting for my self veeeery soon. If you want something fun, ultra reliable, and pretty cheap, get a good condition AW11 MR2. NA or supercharged, doesn't really matter. They have 4age engines, that were actually put in corollas, and they just keep going. One very important thing, however, is do not buy a car with rust. Ever. (unless you like bodywork). Keep in mind that bubbles on paint mean that the rust in that area is way further spread than what you can see from the surface. Better buy a bad engine good body car, as engine swaps are much easier and low cost compared to cutting/welding/bondo.

Preludes are nice, but I'm only really a fan of the 2nd gen. The other ones feel like two door corollas from what I've heard. Del sols are kind of the same. Less fun than CRXs, just as reliable, but imo not as cool looking.
Thanks man. It's looking like the MR2 AW11 is going to be hard to come by in my area, but the CRX is bit more common. Non rust is hard to find around here, as it snows in the winter and they throw down entirely too much salt.

Another newer car I've been looking at is the Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86. Look like fun little coupes to zip around in. Some people around the Web seem to really like these things and say they are easy to work for a modern car. Fuel efficiency sucks compared to what you recommended, but I don't spend much on fuel, anyways.

On another note, where can I find a Lada Niva or UAZ in the States?

https://www.thrillist.com/amphtml/cars/ ... sonymobile

citrojohn

29 Sep 2016, 19:01

vivalarevolución wrote: On another note, where can I find a Lada Niva or UAZ in the States?
Are you allowed to import cars to America nowadays? Pick somewhere Communist-influenced and it might well have some Nivas. Nicaragua? (I bet Cuba has a few, but the paperwork might be problematic.)

I think some madman tried to import UAZes to America at some point, but the development costs were too heavy. It is an appealing proposition... apparently in Afghanistan the UAZ is reputed to get you anywhere, even places a Land Rover won't go. What condition your innards will be in when you get there is another thing :mrgreen: . I can't help wondering if one of NAMI's modifications was designed as a way of improving ride quality...

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

29 Sep 2016, 20:15

citrojohn wrote:
vivalarevolución wrote: On another note, where can I find a Lada Niva or UAZ in the States?
Are you allowed to import cars to America nowadays? Pick somewhere Communist-influenced and it might well have some Nivas. Nicaragua? (I bet Cuba has a few, but the paperwork might be problematic.)

I think some madman tried to import UAZes to America at some point, but the development costs were too heavy. It is an appealing proposition... apparently in Afghanistan the UAZ is reputed to get you anywhere, even places a Land Rover won't go. What condition your innards will be in when you get there is another thing :mrgreen: . I can't help wondering if one of NAMI's modifications was designed as a way of improving ride quality...

I have looked into it, but I doubt we can import cars like that. Definitely would not meet modern safety regulations. The minimal amount of poking around on the web showed that there are probably less than 50 Lada Nivas in the States. But what really intrigues me is the UAZ "Loaf of Bread":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UAZ-452

citrojohn

30 Sep 2016, 00:36

Rather appealing, to be able to off-road in something that looks like a breadvan! Well, the T3-generation VW Caravelle/Vanagon/Transporter certainly came to America, and I think the syncro off-road version probably did.
There's also the Jeep FC series - old enough to be worthy of preservation, but guaranteed to be present in America.

Stuff less likely to be obtainable:
  • Forward-control Land Rover - probably not exported officially, but well enough known that some might be in America now.
  • Dangel convert Peugeots and Citroens to 4WD - so ask your Ram dealer for a 4WD ProMaster, which is a Peugeot Boxer by another name. Don't know if they do make one, considering the US-market engine's different - but it can't hurt to ask ;)
  • Apparently the mark-1 Renault Trafic had a 4WD version, and some came to America as motorhomes - though they probably weren't 4WD.
Wonder what the US army had for pulling light artillery around and transporting troops? It surely can't all be HMMWVs...

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

30 Sep 2016, 02:58

When it comes down to it, I would go for the Lada Niva or the UAZ Hunter, the Bread Loaf does not go more than 100 km/h and that rollover potential, oh boy...
dayz-lada-niva-is-going-to-be-added-in-dayz1.jpg
dayz-lada-niva-is-going-to-be-added-in-dayz1.jpg (223.43 KiB) Viewed 7458 times
uaz_hunter_plyazh.jpeg
uaz_hunter_plyazh.jpeg (185.86 KiB) Viewed 7458 times

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

01 Oct 2016, 04:09

Never realized how expensive it is to buy a new car. The annual license registration will be $300-$400 for the first few years in my state. I was accustomed to paying $40/year. Not to mention insurance and all those other costs associated with a new car.

Topre Enthusiast

01 Oct 2016, 05:32

Not sure what it's like there but buying a new car here is just silly unless you are financially comfortable. As soon as the car rolls off the lot it loses thousands in value.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

01 Oct 2016, 17:39

002 wrote: Not sure what it's like there but buying a new car here is just silly unless you are financially comfortable. As soon as the car rolls off the lot it loses thousands in value.
Yea, I know, I'm just considering at all my options, I never had to think about this stuff before. There are a few brands that seem to retain a decent amount of value (not counting the new car cost of ownership with insurance/govt fees/other nonsense). I take good care of vehicles and my last one lasted 19 years, so if I buy a new(ish) one and make it last 20 years, that seems good value proposition for me. Although I wonder how self driving cars and EVs will drastically alter the car market in the next 20 years...

When it comes down to it, I probably will go used, because I don't want to watch my money piss away into this car that I do not drive every day. Definitely looking for something that will not require too much wrenching beyond basic maintanence, as I would rather focus my wrenching on bicycles/scooters/motorcycles. Just would like the car for bad weather, out-of-town travel, hauling around larger objects, etc., and maybe something with a little zip and handling that would be decently fun to drive.

I've actually started to consider the 1st Generation Honda Insight. People are making these things last over 200,000 miles easy and they get 60+ mpg with a manual. Plenty with low miles are available for less than 10k, as plenty of original owners loved these things and babied them. Just need to learn to drive manual, as the USA is the land of automatic transmissions. Perhaps that will be my first priority now...

By the way, here is a fun mod. These guys took a 1st Generation Honda Insight Hybrid and put a Civic engine into it: http://www.superstreetonline.com/featur ... s-insight/

seebart

01 Oct 2016, 18:01

My neighbor likes fast cars, I would never buy anything like this AMG the insurance alone must be insane.
IMG_20160730_204457.jpg
IMG_20160730_204457.jpg (898.75 KiB) Viewed 7388 times
Here's a "slightly" older Merc that's in my neighborhood.
IMG_20160730_203604.jpg
IMG_20160730_203604.jpg (970.56 KiB) Viewed 7388 times

fohat
Elder Messenger

01 Oct 2016, 18:32

seebart wrote:
Reverse "suicide doors"?

seebart

01 Oct 2016, 21:29

fohat wrote:
seebart wrote:
Reverse "suicide doors"?
Sure, the Germans built some weird cars, not sure how old that model is.

Return to “Off-topic”