iphony

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Sep 2016, 08:16

— OMG the new iPhone has no audio jack! We are all gonna DIEEE!
— buy another phone
— Are you crazy?! It's my RIGHT to own iPhone! Now I want my money of all the iPhones I owned back! Let's start a petition! Occupy Apple Store!
— And what do you think about Trump?
— Whatever

emdude
Model M Apologist

08 Sep 2016, 08:19

Okay, but what if you want to listen to something with your earbuds and charge your iPhone at the same time?

Also, the 'AirPods'. I cannot believe they are a real product that will cost $159.

Definitely glad I am not at all invested in the Apple ecosystem.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Sep 2016, 08:22

let me indulge on "buy another phone"

emdude
Model M Apologist

08 Sep 2016, 08:23

Hence the last statement. :D

Wodan
ISO Advocate

08 Sep 2016, 08:27

emdude wrote: Okay, but what if you want to listen to something with your earbuds and charge your iPhone at the same time?
I am sure there will be a neat adapter cable for that, just 39,99€!

This is a real bummer for me, I listen to music to fall asleep and plug in charger + headphones every night.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Sep 2016, 08:29

it is true that people invested a lot of money in apps and now rely on many Apple services... but it's not that they weren't warned. they knew it. In Italy we have a saying that translates approximately to: "who is the cause of his ill cry himself"

Wodan
ISO Advocate

08 Sep 2016, 08:35

Well it's most likely going to be a problem that can be solved by throwing money at Apple. Those are the least of my problems.

I love how the anti-Apple people celebrate every odd step Apple takes with mischief and malice. Telling me I deserve to be disapointed and stuck with the inferior smartphone just because I picked iOS over all the smart people's advice? Is loosing the 3.5mm jack my sentence?

Best part of this whole circle jerk is ... thing hasn't even hit the market and you're already celebrating it's failure.
Last edited by Wodan on 08 Sep 2016, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.

emdude
Model M Apologist

08 Sep 2016, 08:36

Wodan wrote:
emdude wrote: Okay, but what if you want to listen to something with your earbuds and charge your iPhone at the same time?
I am sure there will be a neat adapter cable for that, just 39,99€!

This is a real bummer for me, I listen to music to fall asleep and plug in charger + headphones every night.
Apple apparently plans to sell the adapter for $9 in addition to including one with the phone itself, to ease the transition, I guess: http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/07/app ... g-adapter/

I watched a liveblog of the Apple event earlier today, they tried to make it out as if it isn't a big deal, but I wonder how this will affect audio peripheral and other smartphone companies.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Sep 2016, 08:43

Wodan wrote: I love how the anti-Apple people celebrate every odd step Apple takes with mischief and malice.
I'm not anti-apple. I own apple products. And my comments are not towards moderated intelligent apple users (none of the present as far as I know are "fanboyz"). Did I hit a nerve? I was just pointing out the madness of people crying for scandal when Apple always has done things like this.

chzel

08 Sep 2016, 08:56

It's not much of a scandal, but it is rather idiotic and feels like change just for the sake of change. Like the 1 USB port Macbook, now there are "adapters"/port multipliers for sale. They essentially moved the audio jack outside the phone. And users will either have to throw more money at the issue, or leave Apple and an ecosystem the have invested in. Standards, either official or de facto, are there for a reason. Stunts like this is what makes me dislike Apple.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

08 Sep 2016, 08:58

emdude wrote: Apple apparently plans to sell the adapter for $9 in addition to including one with the phone itself, to ease the transition, I guess: http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/07/app ... g-adapter/
Well you pointed out yourself that this adapter doesn't really solve the problem of charging + listening to music at the same time. I guess they will come up with something similair to the USB-C adapter for their current MacBooks.
matt3o wrote: Did I hit a nerve? I was just pointing out the madness of people crying for scandal when Apple always has done things like this.
Yeah I am really sick of exactly this, too. Somehow people (irl...) feel the urge to talk to me about basically ANYTHING Apple f'ks up even though I just do iOS. And I just can't stand the triumphant tone that you get when Apple finally "dropped the ball" ... I just felt some of that in your:
matt3o wrote: it is true that people invested a lot of money in apps and now rely on many Apple services... but it's not that they weren't warned. they knew it. In Italy we have a saying that translates approximately to: "who is the cause of his ill cry himself"
Probably didn't get the reflected tone of the post right.

Thumper
knock knock

08 Sep 2016, 09:25

The first thing i did yesterday after the Keynote was checking my carrier if i can get a Nexus on contract next April.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Sep 2016, 09:34

are there any real alternatives to ios, android or winphone? I wanted to try the ubuntu phone but it's hard to get

Julle

08 Sep 2016, 10:07

Well, there's the Sailfish OS with some official devices, and community ports for Android devices. For what it was once promised to be, it's more Failfish.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

08 Sep 2016, 10:28

matt3o wrote: are there any real alternatives to ios, android or winphone? I wanted to try the ubuntu phone but it's hard to get
Well just my personal opinion ... Android is the WinXP with IE6 of the mobile OS to me. It doesn't give me any confidence in the security of the system and the time it takes for patches to arrive on your particular mobile phone is just a joke considering that bugs and security flaws spread instantly over the internet. And that's only when you're lucky to get any patches for your Android phone any more at all which even the high end Brands stop delivering after 12-24 months. I couldn't pass on my old Android phones to my wife and parents if I knew they're not getting updates by manufacturer any more. I'd rather be out of condoms on a brother tour through central Africa than do my online banking on an android device.

Sure there are phones that get the patches for a longer period of time ... pretty much the Nexus phones. But those aren't the awesome phones that are en par with the Apple phones.

Windows Phone is officially dead. Friend of mined worked for MikeRoweSoft and gave me the WinPhone talk all the time and that's been the biggest contender to iOS from a business/professional perspective. Unfortunately, they started really really bad and never really picked up afterwards. My mom got an early windows phone that never received ANY update at all because the changes they did to the OS after first releasing it were so fundamental, the first hardware generation was declared scrap. Oh yeah that friend just got an iPhone after starting his own business ...
Spoiler:
and he also got a BMW ... I am a missionary!

Chyros

08 Sep 2016, 10:43

It's not idiotic or stupid or a question of them dropping the ball, it's a very deliberate scheme to get more money out of people. It's not the end of the world, you just have to pay more. But that's the case with Apple products anyway.

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Sep 2016, 11:25

Thos topic scores 8 out of 10 on my troll-o-meter. :lol:

scottc

08 Sep 2016, 11:27

Julle wrote: Well, there's the Sailfish OS with some official devices, and community ports for Android devices. For what it was once promised to be, it's more Failfish.
Fuck Jolla and everything they stand for. They're absolutely useless. 2 years later and they still owe me $125 for the tablet that they never delivered.

Edit: Their support is absolutely appalling too. Only company with worse support I've ever used is Wileyfox. Never buy anything from either of these guys, you won't have a good time.

SL89

08 Sep 2016, 14:57

Now that Nokia is slowly freeing itself from M$ i anticipate Jolla will end up back in league with Nokia. And hopefully they will make more rad android devices... that arent vaporware.

chuckdee

08 Sep 2016, 16:03

matt3o wrote: let me indulge on "buy another phone"
It's not just a phone, it's an ecosystem. Companies addict you to the ecosystem (your apps, your music, your accessories) making it harder and harder to get out of it. There is not a company that does not do it. It's the best way to ensure continual income. And then they change things, and you find yourself at the mercy of their 'radical' changes and market experimentation.

Make no mistake, this has been coming from Apple for a while. Their first stab at it? The change to lightning cables. It won't stop, unless people take the hit and vote with their wallet. But as someone with a lot of money invested into their ecosystem? It's hard.

SL89

08 Sep 2016, 16:30

chuckdee wrote: It's not just a phone, it's an ecosystem. Companies addict you to the ecosystem (your apps, your music, your accessories) making it harder and harder to get out of it. There is not a company that does not do it. It's the best way to ensure continual income. And then they change things, and you find yourself at the mercy of their 'radical' changes and market experimentation.
None of the new innovation is particularly new or unexpected. Apple has done this before, the connector for the og iPod changed and everyone griped and made the jump, and then from the last connector to lightning. They've done it with other peripherals way back in the day as well (firewire iirc)
chuckdee wrote: Make no mistake, this has been coming from Apple for a while. Their first stab at it? The change to lightning cables. It won't stop, unless people take the hit and vote with their wallet. But as someone with a lot of money invested into their ecosystem? It's hard.
Luckily you arent quiet as reliant on the Android side of things. But there is no F-Droid equivalent, and no ability to sideload whatever the Apple equivalent of .apk's are.

chuckdee

08 Sep 2016, 17:09

You still are. It's just that there are multiple manufacturers, so it seems like you're not. But the underlying issue there is still Google. And honestly, though they have application support, in many cases the applications work totally different, so getting over that hump is hard too. An example. I use Comixology on my iPad. The one on the Android is 'OK', and the one on the Windows Store sucks. But, you don't see that as much unless you're coming from the iOS side. They just, for some reason, use a different set of underlying features.

SL89

08 Sep 2016, 17:23

Not sure what 'you still are' means... There are alternative stores on Android. Such as the F-droid F/L/OSS repo, and Amazon and other providers. If you want to talk about voting with money, support such services and donating to good devs.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Sep 2016, 18:28

Wodan wrote: Well just my personal opinion ... Android is the WinXP with IE6 of the mobile OS to me. It doesn't give me any confidence in the security of the system and the time it takes for patches to arrive on your particular mobile phone is just a joke considering that bugs and security flaws spread instantly over the internet.
https://copperhead.co/android/
webwit wrote: Thos topic scores 8 out of 10 on my troll-o-meter. :lol:
and Muirium is not even here!

chuckdee

08 Sep 2016, 18:31

SL89 wrote: Not sure what 'you still are' means... There are alternative stores on Android. Such as the F-droid F/L/OSS repo, and Amazon and other providers. If you want to talk about voting with money, support such services and donating to good devs.
If you decide that you want to go with iPhone, or the next new thing out there, you have to play the money/functionality game of weighing if it's worth it. And, while it's true that Android is open source, there have been plenty of articles how Google controls that with valid points. And through those controls, you're still tethered to the changing whims of Google, no matter how you might deny it.

And on the point of using other repos- that puts the onus on the user to do such, which isn't really tenable outside of a few core users that really know what they are doing, which makes it less of an option than it might seem.

Findecanor

08 Sep 2016, 18:40

I have a "dumbphone" and a 8" Windows tablet. Windows sucks on small touch-devices much more than an iPhone without a headphone jack.
Last edited by Findecanor on 08 Sep 2016, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.

SL89

08 Sep 2016, 19:15

@chuckdee

Unless you get something that runs MIUI, or Cyanogen, or any of the other de-googled distros. It more open then you are making it out to be. If anything most of the control comes from the OEMs and carriers (carriers are more relevant in the US then elsewhere) and Google is fighting to wrest that control from them. And of course the burden is on the users, if they want to have convenience they can use the store, if they want FLOSS software they can use repos. Google may call some high level shots, but there are plenty of non google'd kernels and everything else for that matter. Options do exist, its up to the people who use the devices to pursue things how they will.

chuckdee

08 Sep 2016, 19:30

How many people are actually going to get something that runs a de-googled distro? I can do nearly the same with my iPhone. But after doing it, it was more trouble than it was worth. It shouldn't have to be on the shoulders of the individual. Especially when I have 5 different people in my household, and don't want to deal with going outside the norms just to keep control of my devices. It should be the default. But it will never be, on any platform.

SL89

08 Sep 2016, 20:27

Well considering Xiaomi, OnePlus, and other OEM's run it, a fair number. I'm not talking about flashing anything, just new out of the box, without google.

It should be on the shoulders of the user to make choices that effect them. And like you said, vote with your money. If you want less invasive/monopolistic stuff, then pay for less invasive/monopolisitic/whatever stuff.

Making demands of companies and saying 'it should be on YOU' isnt gonna change their want to keep things in the ecosystem. Esp when an overwhelming majority of users clearly don't care.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Sep 2016, 20:32

Return to “Off-topic”