Why are computer cases so dull?

vometia
irritant

31 May 2017, 14:14

It's that time again: I need a new case for my gaming PC (admittedly for values of "need", but my motherboard doesn't fit well as they seem to change the location of the stand-off points every couple of generations, and its airflow isn't ideal) so I've been looking at what's out there and I'm filled with an overwhelming sense of meh.

Admittedly, they're not as bad as they used to be where the choices were a beige monstrosity in the form of a desktop or midi tower, but really they haven't come on all that far. Now the desktops typically look like some boring audiophile equipment (well okay, that's by intent and it's kinda what you'd want in your sitting room if it's running your telly) and the midis look like they've travelled through Half Life 2 and picked up a bunch of neon-lit angular black metal on the way but they're still boring. I also admit that boring is at this point largely a matter of taste and I'm being a malcontent.

There are a few interesting hobbyist cases out there such as the "everything on display" in a perspex box looking like Blakes 7's Orac, or something that looks like a 1940s radio because it is a 1940s radio, but I don't have the skill or effort to do either.

I think I want something that either looks like an Apple 2/BBC Micro/other "golden age of home computing" fat keyboard or a bit of 50s-themed mystery electronics like you'd see in the SF B-movies. Since I'm probably not going to get either without going down the DIY route maybe I should just get a bunch of rackmount cases so it at least looks like a proper computer.

MrDuul

31 May 2017, 14:21

EDIT: (Oh sorry, this def is not for you :oops: )

This is the case I have, full tower.

Still have it and have used it for different builds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWaEp408lgE

wobbled

31 May 2017, 14:25

My Case is a modified power mac G5 case that I installed a standard ATX motherboard tray in to allowing me to put my PC build inside there. Then I decided to hackintosh it, so it's the closest thing to a Mac without actually being one. Always been tempted to powdercoat the entire case matte black but the silver is pretty stunning as it is, besides - most cases are black so I do like the change. The typical full towers with side windows I find really boring - I was using a corsair 900D before and I ended up selling it on.

Khers

31 May 2017, 14:36

wobbled wrote: My Case is a modified power mac G5 case that I installed a standard ATX motherboard tray in to allowing me to put my PC build inside there. Then I decided to hackintosh it, so it's the closest thing to a Mac without actually being one. Always been tempted to powdercoat the entire case matte black but the silver is pretty stunning as it is, besides - most cases are black so I do like the change. The typical full towers with side windows I find really boring - I was using a corsair 900D before and I ended up selling it on.
Cheese graters are some of the best looking computer towers, imo (I've got an even softer spot for the trash can...). I was looking for one to make something similar a while ago, then decided to make something smaller and ended up with a Ncase M1 instead. Still kind of regretting not getting a cheese grater.

Findecanor

31 May 2017, 15:45

There are trends, like everything else. The good thing is that there are multiple trends going on.

I really like the idea of the Cryorig Taku mITX-case. It is placed under the monitor like a classic desktop case but raised up on legs up so that you could put your keyboard under it. I am not sold on the internal layout though. Ventilation should be from the bottom, not the top.

Otherwise, the landscape is pretty dominated by big fat towers for placement under the desk on the floor.

wobbled

31 May 2017, 15:54

Khers wrote:
wobbled wrote: My Case is a modified power mac G5 case that I installed a standard ATX motherboard tray in to allowing me to put my PC build inside there. Then I decided to hackintosh it, so it's the closest thing to a Mac without actually being one. Always been tempted to powdercoat the entire case matte black but the silver is pretty stunning as it is, besides - most cases are black so I do like the change. The typical full towers with side windows I find really boring - I was using a corsair 900D before and I ended up selling it on.
Cheese graters are some of the best looking computer towers, imo (I've got an even softer spot for the trash can...). I was looking for one to make something similar a while ago, then decided to make something smaller and ended up with a Ncase M1 instead. Still kind of regretting not getting a cheese grater.
The cheese grater g5 / mac pro towers really are amazing, especially when you find one in near perfect condition! You should totally pick one up from ebay since they are dirt cheap even if it's not going to be your primary case.

vometia
irritant

31 May 2017, 16:10

That Taku is quite an interesting thing. The under-PC keyboard storage reminds me of something I nearly bought in 1984 (!), the almost-PC-compatible Ferranti Advance 86, but the Taku is a lot more stylish. The deal-breaker is that ITX pretty much rules it out as a gaming PC: seems that most of the interesting-looking cases are ITX only, though I guess that's not surprising as accommodating a full-size MB and full-height cards means you require a big fat blobby thing right from the outset.

I'm also not sure about having the monitor that high up either: I know it's supposed to be more ergonomic but... I dunno, I should ask my osteopath about that. She already tells me off for gaming too much.

Ir0n

31 May 2017, 19:38

I've been thinking about turning one of my many ibm 5150 cases into an ATX case, but I don't want to start yet another project. I'm one of those types of people that has like 30 "projects" laying around and every weekend or so I'll just pick one and mess around with it a bit.
(AKA I hardly get anything done with them.)

Norman_

31 May 2017, 21:39

Ir0n wrote: I'm one of those types of people that has like 30 "projects" laying around and every weekend or so I'll just pick one and mess around with it a bit.
(AKA I hardly get anything done with them.)
That's me. One of the only projects I've finished recently is a Powermac G4 Quicksilver to mATX conversion, and calling it done is a stretch of the word. My G5 is still in pieces, all my keyboard projects are still in pieces. I'll get to those omnikeys someday...

Findecanor

01 Jun 2017, 00:51

BTW, if you would paint a plastic PowerMac G3 or G4 in white and black, it gets a nice GLaDOS wibe... I love it.

andrewjoy

01 Jun 2017, 10:34

Because SGI went out of business.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

01 Jun 2017, 11:24

Because the 1980's are over!
Holborn 6500 00.JPG
Holborn 6500 00.JPG (81.55 KiB) Viewed 5225 times

vometia
irritant

01 Jun 2017, 13:50

andrewjoy wrote: Because SGI went out of business.
That's a point. I miss my Indy: I lent it to a friend and she never returned it. :/
seebart wrote: Because the 1980's are over!
That's its own very special sort of something-or-other. I'm not sure if I'm more awed by admiration or horror. :D

Mr.Nobody

02 Jun 2017, 06:38

Because Apple hasn´t entered this market yet.

seebart

02 Jun 2017, 11:23

Mr.Nobody wrote: Because Apple hasn´t entered this market yet.
Apple has been in this market for 30+ years and has come out with some of the best designs.

Mr.Nobody

02 Jun 2017, 11:30

No, apple has been in Computer Business for 30+ years, however, they don't sell cases for DIYer to build their own machine.

andrewjoy

02 Jun 2017, 11:31

seebart wrote:
Mr.Nobody wrote: Because Apple hasn´t entered this market yet.
Apple has been in this market for 30+ years and has come out with some of the best designs.

I would say the G5 and Imac macpro where a nice case , and the silver G3 / G4 case .

Other than that they where all a bit wank

vometia
irritant

02 Jun 2017, 12:01

I liked the Apple 2's case, which would probably make quite a good ITX receptacle (possibly even a full size board with some creativity) but haven't really been all that big on their designs since then.

gogusrl

02 Jun 2017, 12:09

Lian Li / Silverstone / Fractal Design still make computer cases "the right way". I've had my Lian-Li for 10 years or so with no reason to upgrade.

Chyros

02 Jun 2017, 12:33

Build a case in the shape of the Temple of Nod!

wobbled

02 Jun 2017, 13:05

VKL1-main.jpg
VKL1-main.jpg (35.43 KiB) Viewed 5096 times
Lian Li PC V1000L is a very nice looking Mac G5 / Mac pro clone case!
Last edited by wobbled on 02 Jun 2017, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.

Lord_Molvin

02 Jun 2017, 13:11

seebart wrote:
Because the 1980's are over!
Holborn 6500 00.JPG
It's like we were aliens from another galaxy at one point.

andrewjoy

02 Jun 2017, 13:23

wobbled wrote:
VKL1-main.jpg
Lian Li PC V1000L is a very nice looking Mac G5 / Mac pro case!

The Lian Li came out first :D

wobbled

02 Jun 2017, 13:52

andrewjoy wrote:
wobbled wrote:
VKL1-main.jpg

I don't think it did, the Mac G5 was released in 2003, the earliest documentation on the PCV1000L is from 2014. If ever I need a better case than my modified G5 I'll definitely pick one of them Lian Li's up, they are so damn nice. Would have to remove those hideous wheels though.

Khers

02 Jun 2017, 14:01

wobbled wrote:
andrewjoy wrote:
wobbled wrote:
VKL1-main.jpg

I don't think it did, the Mac G5 was released in 2003, the earliest documentation on the PCV1000L is from 2014. If ever I need a better case than my modified G5 I'll definitely pick one of them Lian Li's up, they are so damn nice. Would have to remove those hideous wheels though.
2004? I remember considering a lian-li cheese grater for a PC I built in 2006 (I rarely build PCs, one in 2006, the next one in 2017, so it's easy to keep track of). I do, however, seem to recall that Apple were first.

MrDuul

02 Jun 2017, 14:48

I like lian li cheese graters!

:shock:

wobbled

02 Jun 2017, 15:20

Yeh the ones from 2004 looked a lot different though, still a nice looking case by todays standards. Apple definitely knew how to design nice looking yet functional stuff back then. it's a shame Jony Ive got promoted, all the designs are done by others now, he just takes the credit.

vometia
irritant

02 Jun 2017, 15:57

I nearly got a Lian Li cheese-grater way back: I slightly regret not doing so, although I imagine it would be a fairly effective dust collector. I ended up with a Silverstone Temjin something-or-other (the one with the doors) in brushed aluminium, which was nicely made except for a design oversight with the HDD ventilation, but really the problem is that I just dislike tower cases for absolutely no objective reason.

Sometimes I have a bit too much of that "I don't know what I like but I know what I don't" vibe about me.

seebart

02 Jun 2017, 19:25

So I guess the G5 was the original "cheese grater".
bb30d1be1f9c063a6eec2b2b33baad4d98fd4a721f5364627d25911d3ffe56c2.jpg
bb30d1be1f9c063a6eec2b2b33baad4d98fd4a721f5364627d25911d3ffe56c2.jpg (45.96 KiB) Viewed 4995 times
Last edited by seebart on 02 Jun 2017, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.

Khers

02 Jun 2017, 19:48

seebart wrote: I love how the lian li is called "cheese grater" while the original Mac G5 case was never referred to in this manner.

bb30d1be1f9c063a6eec2b2b33baad4d98fd4a721f5364627d25911d3ffe56c2.jpg
Except it is...

Return to “Off-topic”