Latex/Kubuntu: Nassi–Shneiderman diagram

Spharx

09 Jan 2012, 18:03

This whole linux thing is driving me nuts ! For every single easy step I have to google hours to get a (rather frustrating) result :roll:.
Now I am trying to make a Nassi–Shneiderman diagram with Gummi (laggy, buggy but close to real time pdf creation) and I don't get how or where I have to put in the xyling.sty package. I tried to put it into /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/xyling/ and /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/xyling/ but still the program throws out a error that the xyling pakacke is missing :evil:

Where do I have to put in the packages?? Why do I have 2 texmf folders ?
Last edited by Spharx on 09 Jan 2012, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.

ripster

09 Jan 2012, 18:09

Shouldn't this be in the "Other Languages" subforum?

Minskleip

09 Jan 2012, 18:30

Have you tried ~/.texmf/tex/latex/xyling?

I think you can put it in your document root as well!

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Jan 2012, 19:08

File permissions or security context?

Try
ls -l
and
ls --lcontext

in the directories where you found xyling.sty

Spharx

09 Jan 2012, 19:31

I have changed the package to nassi (nassflow) now and copied them to /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/nassflow/ as root user.
ls -l shows this:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5027 2012-01-09 19:03 nassi.sty

I found the problem I think: I should not jerk around as root. I need to install them either somewhere else or in a different way. I will try ~/.texmf/tex/latex/nassflow now and report back.

Lustique

09 Jan 2012, 19:45

Do you use the TeXLive offered by the Ubuntu guys?

Spharx

09 Jan 2012, 19:55

I copied the files into ~/.texmf/tex/latex/nassflow and defined TEXMF=~/.texmf/. Gummi still can't find the nassi.sty :cry:
The Variable evaporates after I close bash. How do I define it to be permanently ?

TeXLive is installed on my system but I don't really know if Gummi is using it. As "typsetter comand" is pdflatex selected.

Minskleip

09 Jan 2012, 20:11

You have to export it in ~/.bashrc or ~/.bach_profile or ~/.profile or something :quack:

It could be that you have to update some cache as well! Try putting the .sty in the same directory as your .tex files.

Actually, I suggest you scrap that 'buntu and try something that works, like Debian or OpenBSD. Did I tell you that I wrote my thesis on OpenBSD with Texlive? Never had a problem.

Lustique

09 Jan 2012, 20:21

Minskleip wrote:[...]Actually, I suggest you scrap that 'buntu and try something that works, like Debian or OpenBSD. Did I tell you that I wrote my thesis on OpenBSD with Texlive? Never had a problem.
Or just use the version from the TeX Live guys (TeX Live 2011). This way you do not have to work with a TeX system that's totally outdated.

Spharx

09 Jan 2012, 20:32

If I munch all files together everything works fine :?
Well at least now I can make this damn diagram. As it looks I will need a good book about latex because I cant do a thing here with intuition.
Why do you use TexLive ? Isn't Latex supposed to be easier than the old Tex ??
Witch editors do you use?

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Jan 2012, 20:34

Not sure if ubuntu has SELinux, if it has and the permissions are right but security context is wrong, it still won't find it.
ls --lcontext
and
man chcon
Does gummi have access to the files with the security context you got?

It's one of the things I hate most about this class of linuxes. BSD for me!

You can check if it's the problem with:
setenforce 0
and try again
If you do that and have a chmod 777 on the file (and check the parent directory for permissions too) it should find it, or it's looking in the wrong place.

Minskleip

09 Jan 2012, 20:42

Spharx wrote:Why do you use TexLive ? Isn't Latex supposed to be easier than the old Tex ??
It's the most modern/uptodate/something Latex distribution. Latex is a macro package on top of Tex. There are others as well, like Context (or Contex?).

My editor is nvi :ugeek:

Lustique

09 Jan 2012, 20:46

Spharx wrote:[...]Why do you use TexLive ? Isn't Latex supposed to be easier than the old Tex ??
Yes, it probably is, but TeX Live is a (La)TeX distribution, so you do not have to use TeX (I never did, well, not directly, only LaTeX).
I switch between Texmaker and Emacs with AucTeX, both are great, but Texmaker is way easier. I can most definitely recommend it.

Oh, and for LaTeX problems I can really recommend http://tex.stackexchange.com/. You will probably get help really fast, sometimes even from the package authors themselves. :D

Lustique

09 Jan 2012, 20:48

Minskleip wrote:It's the most modern/uptodate/something Latex distribution. Latex is a macro package on top of Tex. There are others as well, like Context (or Contex?).[...]
... and LuaTeX, which is very promising, I think. :geek:

JBert

09 Jan 2012, 21:45

I seem to remember that I had to run texhash when I copied something to ~/texmf/tex/latex/<package name from sty file>/

Spharx

09 Jan 2012, 21:46

@webwit: The command ls --lcontext does not exist on my system.
Ansyways I have deleted all the mess before you posted :|
I will try other editors and maybe even freeBSD.

Thx guys for the help. Case closed for now :lol:

E:
@JBert that could be really the problem. I did read about it just some minutes ago. But I am to lazy for this now. Maybe I will try tomorrow.

Minskleip

09 Jan 2012, 22:32

Lustique wrote:
Minskleip wrote:It's the most modern/uptodate/something Latex distribution. Latex is a macro package on top of Tex. There are others as well, like Context (or Contex?).[...]
Tex implemented in Lua?

woody
Count Troller

09 Jan 2012, 23:00

Spharx wrote:@webwit: The command ls --lcontext does not exist on my system.
ls -l --context
or
ls -lZ

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Jan 2012, 23:08

Or maybe even better, he doesn't have that crap!

Spharx

09 Jan 2012, 23:41

Redo it again:
- put in the package files as root in usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/nassflow/
- change the owner from root to my account
- chmod 777 on folder & files

install Texmaker -> viola it works
reinstall gummi -> also works

My conclusion: either texmaker, the owner change from root to a normal account or even a simple reboot did the job :|
This new OS will make me quiet some headaches in the next time :lol:

Also woodys commands work
Spoiler:
-rw-rw-rw- 1 daniel daniel ? 1812 1997-02-05 01:00 aaread.me
-rw-rw-rw- 1 daniel daniel ? 689 1997-02-05 01:00 add.lse
-rw-rw-rw- 1 daniel daniel ? 68147 2004-04-15 21:17 flow_man.pdf
-rw-rw-rw- 1 daniel daniel ? 8617 1997-02-05 01:00 flow_man.tex
-rw-rw-rw- 1 daniel daniel ? 8065 1997-02-05 01:00 flow.sty
-rw-rw-rw- 1 daniel daniel ? 16600 1997-02-05 01:00 manual.cls
-rw-rw-rw- 1 daniel daniel ? 11230 1997-02-05 01:00 manual.sty
-rw-rw-rw- 1 daniel daniel ? 9150 1997-02-05 01:00 nassi.sty
-rw-rw-rw- 1 daniel daniel ? 74168 2004-04-15 21:17 [nass_man.pdf
-rw-rw-rw- 1 daniel daniel ? 12173 1997-02-05 01:00 nass_man.tex
-rw-rw-rw- 1 daniel daniel ? 7330 1997-02-05 01:00 struct.lse

Lustique

10 Jan 2012, 23:50

Minskleip wrote:
Lustique wrote:
Tex implemented in Lua?
No, I think it's more like an advanced pdfTeX with a built-in Lua scripting engine. But I, more or less, only use it to be able to use OTF fonts.

Return to “Off-topic”