If you had a million dollar idea for an app, what would you do?

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

29 Jun 2018, 05:27

Who would you reach out to?

...asking for a friend :D

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

29 Jun 2018, 07:19

If it were me, I wouldn't tell anyone about other than my wife and parents probably - just to make sure it's really a million dollar idea. After that, I would try to learn how to code the app myself. Only after doing as much of it as I possibly can to make it myself would I start asking for help from CS friends.

Findecanor

29 Jun 2018, 07:38

See what competition there is. Then see if I can code it. Then grok the problem domain through and through. Then start coding it myself without telling anyone. (Then quickly lose interested because the challenge has been solved and there is only gruntwork left ... But that's me :P )

But of course, if we are talking about a mobile app and not a desktop app, I would do it only if its utility would outweigh the amount of addiction and/or distraction it would cause. Then make sure that it can detect and block use when used in a moving vehicle.
Last edited by Findecanor on 29 Jun 2018, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

29 Jun 2018, 07:45

I hope it involves something blockchain.

haanuman

29 Jun 2018, 08:25

This is a tough one since you have to be wise before you choose the right person, if you accidentally choose someone else then you would end up not getting a nickel from the million dollar unless it's patented haha. I would study programming and try to build it myself.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Jun 2018, 11:05

usually it's the $10 ideas that are worth $1m

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

29 Jun 2018, 16:46

Ensuring that you have the appropriate copyrights and patents is step number one I think.

webwit
Wild Duck

29 Jun 2018, 17:24

An app which plays the sound of a solenoid powered beamspring everytime a new post appears on Deskthority.

Dingster

29 Jun 2018, 17:28

webwit wrote: An app which plays the sound of a solenoid powered beamspring everytime a new post appears on Deskthority.
And ignores silent mode on your phone.
Then later release a usb-c solenoid kickstarter.

Chyros

29 Jun 2018, 17:41

1) sell it
2) build death star
3) rule supreme

kbdfr
The Tiproman

29 Jun 2018, 17:48

If I had a million dollar idea for an app, the first thing I would do is seriously question my perception of my own genius.
There are too many morons infatuated of themselves and believing they are second to none out there.

A pity the "Latin keyboard layout" designer is no longer with us :lol:

Elrick

02 Oct 2018, 05:25

kbdfr wrote: There are too many morons infatuated of themselves and believing they are second to none out there.
The trouble with being a "Moron" we're too stupid to know anything about ourselves let alone, have any perception that we are anything better than anyone else.

We are content with being less and insignificant in this World, that is why we breed incessantly. Just the way of living here in our environment known as Convict Town ;) .

JP!

02 Oct 2018, 05:28

Probably ignore it and carry on with my normal life. Not saying that's what you should do, I'm just being honest.

Muirium
µ

02 Oct 2018, 12:10

Ideas are worthless. Execution is everything.

JP!

02 Oct 2018, 13:10

Muirium wrote: Ideas are worthless. Execution is everything.

And timing.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

02 Oct 2018, 13:43

Phase 1: Million dollar app idea
Phase 2: ???
Phase 3: Profit

chuckdee

02 Oct 2018, 14:56

It's not a million dollar idea until it actually makes a million dollars. Until then, it's just a possibility, and execution will tell in the long run.

Return to “Off-topic”