Safe domain names

Minskleip

08 Feb 2012, 22:01

In these times of ACTA et. al., which country is the safest for domain names? I'm looking for the country with the least probability for succumbing to requests from rogue states (e.g. USA, EU) and agencies.

Are Switzerland and Lichtenstein good candidates? Any other suggestions?

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Feb 2012, 22:22

Wasn't Iceland getting into this, with new laws and stuff, to create a safe haven on the Internet, to replace their crashed bank business? Maybe we have a member from Iceland who knows more. Not sure, when the shit hit the fan during the bank crisis, this country turned out highly unreliable. The people were pissed they had to pay for the bankers' mistakes, and refused so by voting against paying back loans to cover damages from the UK and the Netherlands. The people were right about the bankers (although their entire economy profited), but in the end in a technical sense the entity Iceland proved to be unreliable, no matter whose fault it is (politicians, bankers, etc.). Everybody there was suddenly a "victim" pointing to others, even to the countries who gave them the loans. As a Dutch tax payer, I was not happy, because it was certainly not my fault. So what happens if they have this safe haven, you buy services, and the US or the EUSSR threatens to boycot them or whatever? I doubt they will have any spine. Switzerland? Same thing with the bank secrecy they used to sell. Not reliable.

Minskleip

08 Feb 2012, 22:30

Somehow I imagined that you'd have to be from Iceland or have a business there to get a .is, but now I'm not sure. Haven't looked into it.

So civil rights is not very PC, and the conclusion is that nowhere is safe from the clammy hands of the 'world police'?

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Feb 2012, 22:39

I don't know what you're looking for. Maybe something like this?
http://www.osiris-sps.org/
http://www.osiris-sps.org/introduction/
For hosting nowhere, and everywhere.

Minskleip

08 Feb 2012, 22:53

I'll have a look at that tomorrow. Now I'm only looking for a domain name; I'll host it myself (it'll only be accessible by me). I may want to pay for a service for accepting email temporarily before it's moved to my server, but I don't want to store anything outside of home.

pyro

09 Feb 2012, 03:11

I don't think there is something like a sopa/pipa/acta-safe place to register domain names. In the end they're all handled by ICANN, which is located in America und thus subject to american law.

Minskleip

09 Feb 2012, 07:24

If someone wants to steal a .no they have to go to Norway. Or I suppose ICANN can remove .no all together.

kps

09 Feb 2012, 16:09

Minskleip wrote:Now I'm only looking for a domain name; I'll host it myself (it'll only be accessible by me).
Why do you even need your own domain, then? (The entertainment cartel hasn't heard of technical details like ‘IP addresses’, so they have no plan to take those away from you.)

7bit

09 Feb 2012, 16:53

kps wrote:
Minskleip wrote:Now I'm only looking for a domain name; I'll host it myself (it'll only be accessible by me).
Why do you even need your own domain, then? (The entertainment cartel hasn't heard of technical details like ‘IP addresses’, so they have no plan to take those away from you.)
Yup!

127.0.0.1 is safe!
:o

And it even has got a domain name: localhost
:roll:

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Feb 2012, 16:59

If you want to reach it from outside with your own safe domain name instead of ip address, use your own dns and use any name you wish.

7bit

09 Feb 2012, 17:24

Great idea! Let's set up a parallel web and call it kbdnet.

Minskleip

09 Feb 2012, 19:19

For moving my email away from google. Its as much for privacy (google scanning my email, but email are not secure communications in any case) as it is for not being held hostage by a a company. (By hosting myself I delegate the hostaging out to several: power, domain, dns, isp etc).

trax

09 Feb 2012, 19:31

It doesnt matter what domain you use.
It maters where you host it at.
Your probably best of renting a vps in Russia, China, anti-usa muslim countries and set it up as web/mail server

7bit

09 Feb 2012, 19:31

That's a good start.

I almost never used mailproviders.

However, it could happen that a domainame get's blocked by the registrar, but when you change from google to gmx you have 0 chance to keep your address.

7bit

09 Feb 2012, 19:35

trax wrote:It doesnt matter what domain you use.
Your probably best of renting a vps in Russia, China, anti-usa muslim countries and set it up as web/mail server
I'd host it in North-Korea. No western or eastern powers will have access to it!

Minskleip

09 Feb 2012, 19:52

trax wrote:It doesnt matter what domain you use.
Sure it does. I don't want anything under direct usa/china/etc/ control. Registrar matter as well. Would you use godaddy? :lol:

Ekaros

10 Feb 2012, 01:09

7bit wrote:
kps wrote:
Yup!

127.0.0.1 is safe!
:o

And it even has got a domain name: localhost
:roll:
Also 127.0.0.2 is golden. And so on, evil starts at 128.0.0.0... ;D

Return to “Off-topic”