Unpopular opinions thread

Findecanor

21 Oct 2019, 23:40

That's not very authentic... They are not signing any songs with the drink. :-þ

BTW. Only a few people from a region in the North even eat Surströmming. The rest of us keep away.

User avatar
webwit
Wild Duck

22 Oct 2019, 00:12

Pah, next thing you'll claim is that the Swedes don't sport horned helmets and the males don't keep herds of blond wenches.

User avatar
flowerlandfilms

22 Oct 2019, 05:57

No Vikings wore horned helmets.
Wenches be legit though.

User avatar
PlacaFromHell

28 Oct 2019, 01:38

Well, it seems that in the end my opinion is the second most unpopular in the whole country. Goodbye, stupid light blue and white nation, I will never be part of your pit of shit and depression, your ideas don't represent me. Not only I don't identify with almost half of the electoral roll, but I have NOTHING in common with the other half. Today I declare myself spiritually devoid of all nationality, I don't want my children to inherit this cultural curse.
Image

mr_a500

28 Oct 2019, 12:48

PlacaFromHell wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 01:38
Well, it seems that in the end my opinion is the second most unpopular in the whole country. Goodbye, stupid light blue and white nation, I will never be part of your pit of shit and depression, your ideas don't represent me. [/img]
When you said stupid blue and white country, I thought you were talking about Israel. I was going to say, "Watch out - you don't want the ADL after you!"

Here's an unpopular opinion: International Law should be followed by ALL countries, INCLUDING the US and Israel. The hypocrisy and double-standards are disgusting.

If Israel has "a right to defend itself", then Iran has a right to defend itself. Syria has a right to defend itself. Palestinians have a right to defend themselves. If Israel has "a right to exist", then Palestine has a right to exist.

But you can't criticize Israel AT ALL - even obvious violations of international law, bombings of civilians with phosphorous, possession of nuclear, chemical and biological weapons, invasions and attacks on sovereign states, financing and support of terrorism. If you criticize Israel in the slightest, you're called an "anti-semite" or accused of trying to start another "holocaust".

I keep thinking of a quote from an old Bonanza episode, where an old woman says, "There's a law for you-uns and a law for we-uns - and it ain't the same law!" That's one of the truest sayings I've ever heard.

Findecanor

28 Oct 2019, 14:09

Indeed.

BTW. Any country that has withdrawn from the International Criminal Court, has by doing so stated that they intend to perform war crimes, genocide or other crimes against humanity. It should follow that these states should be considered Rogue States and that the civilised world should not cooperate with them until they choose to re-enter the international community and let investigations take place. That would be reasonable, right?

Countries that have withdrawn include USA (under war-criminal G.W. Bush), Russia (under war-criminal Putin), Israel (under war-criminal Sharon) and The Philippines (under Duterte).
Last edited by Findecanor on 28 Oct 2019, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PlacaFromHell

28 Oct 2019, 17:33

mr_a500 wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 12:48
PlacaFromHell wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 01:38
Well, it seems that in the end my opinion is the second most unpopular in the whole country. Goodbye, stupid light blue and white nation, I will never be part of your pit of shit and depression, your ideas don't represent me. [/img]
When you said stupid blue and white country, I thought you were talking about Israel. I was going to say, "Watch out - you don't want the ADL after you!"

Here's an unpopular opinion: International Law should be followed by ALL countries, INCLUDING the US and Israel. The hypocrisy and double-standards are disgusting.

If Israel has "a right to defend itself", then Iran has a right to defend itself. Syria has a right to defend itself. Palestinians have a right to defend themselves. If Israel has "a right to exist", then Palestine has a right to exist.

But you can't criticize Israel AT ALL - even obvious violations of international law, bombings of civilians with phosphorous, possession of nuclear, chemical and biological weapons, invasions and attacks on sovereign states, financing and support of terrorism. If you criticize Israel in the slightest, you're called an "anti-semite" or accused of trying to start another "holocaust".

I keep thinking of a quote from an old Bonanza episode, where an old woman says, "There's a law for you-uns and a law for we-uns - and it ain't the same law!" That's one of the truest sayings I've ever heard.
I agree, the modern society thinks that the way of be fair is just turn the opposite the classic injustices. I bet if I say that O.J. Simpson is a murderer, someone in the US will be offended just by the fact I said that someone who is not white is a murderer. Without going so far, someone said me that I "should be in jail for hate crimes again LGBT community" because I was disappointed with the fact that the Argentine State finances aesthetic surgeries for transsexuals, in a country where people still die from tetanus. Typhus is even reappearing, a MEDIEVAL DISEASE, but my taxes HAVE to go to silicone boobs, WHAT THE FUCK.
It is true that the Middle East is a violent place and they may need a not-so-democratic system, but at least they should be fair among those who want to be fair. I am so sad to see children locked in that environment.

User avatar
vometia
irritant

Yesterday, 08:27

Beer: for me, it seems to come down to the selection of hops, and what I like in that regard can so often depend on my general mood. As a rule I'm not generally a fan of fizzy lager but occasionally a really cold one on a hot summer's day can be nice; though I generally prefer the bland ones to those with a bit too much personality, so e.g. Kronenbourg will do me fine.

Other beers: I love the Belgian dubbels/trippels but they make my liver weep. English ales are a mixed bag because there's one popular hop I absolutely loathe but I'm not sure of the name of the specific "filth hop". Not that it would help as so many of them don't say what they are anyway, but for example I can't stand Black Sheep's flagship beer but some of their other stuff is lovely.

And also the amount of roasting: I really like dark beers and porters, but as long as they haven't gone OTT. For me, stuff like Guinness is the beer equivalent of Starbucks coffee.

Coffee: well there's another thing, similar to beers I suppose. I have my own preferences but generally the fresher the better, which means no pre-ground unless it's in sealed capsules. And no scalding it either (oh hai Starbucks...). My E61 machine is poorly so I have a Nespresso for convenience. Pros and cons, though: pros, it's convenient and the coffee is nice; cons, the capsules are impossible to recycle (and it's impossible to get them to collect them), the range of flavours is limited and their Barista milk frother tends to cover the kitchen in semi-frothed milk.

Lord of the Rings: liked the books, was meh about the films. Jackson's vision totally didn't mesh with mine and he focussed on all the bits I skimmed and ignored the bits I enjoyed. There also seems to be a certain amount of controversy i.e. appropriating my culture to bludgeon someone else's.

Politics: meh.

User avatar
webwit
Wild Duck

Yesterday, 11:08

vometia wrote:
Yesterday, 08:27
My E61 machine is poorly so I have a Nespresso for convenience. Pros and cons, though: pros, it's convenient and the coffee is nice; cons, the capsules are impossible to recycle (and it's impossible to get them to collect them), the range of flavours is limited and their Barista milk frother tends to cover the kitchen in semi-frothed milk.
Must be location where they can't work out the logistics or something. I get a free recycle bag each order and return the previously filled one at the same time. Then they make bikes or something out of them.
nespresso_recycle_bag.jpg
nespresso_recycle_bag.jpg (522.31 KiB) Viewed 106 times

User avatar
vometia
irritant

Yesterday, 11:48

We get the bags but the delivery drivers refuse to collect them. We're tried a few times but it's always "nah, they'll send somebody else to fetch it." I wasn't convinced either, and that's before the somebody else had a proper chance to fail to turn up.

User avatar
webwit
Wild Duck

Yesterday, 15:04

I'm disappointed you didn't take this opportunity to recycle them into your own custom alu keyboard. :mrgreen:

User avatar
vometia
irritant

Yesterday, 16:26

They do that? I must drink more coffee!

Post Reply

Return to “Off-topic”