Unpopular opinions thread

User avatar
SneakyRobb

17 Jul 2019, 17:22

User101 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 10:13
depletedvespene wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 14:22


There was a time when Apple survived ONLY because Macintoshes had become THE standard in the graphic design and (lower-grade) desktop publishing industry. There was another time when Apple survived ONLY because a certain criminal sent money their way to avoid being targeted as the monopolist he truly was. Hopefully, the next "thin cows" period for Apple will not be hindered by either blind luck or by any other criminal with dirty money.

Nowadays apple can survive ONLY with the hype and sheeps they got. So to agree with above I dont see them going down anytime soon.
When I was a kid, Apple computers were associated with artist people and creatives. If someone was like "I have a Macintosh" it was like they told you they were a poweruser but with art. They were like these magical mystical cool machines that were elevated. Only those who knew used apple. They were the mechanical keyboards to the apple chicklet keyboard. I would have totally gotten a macintosh if I could have then.

Windows machines were just excel machines, bland uniform beige bricks where the only character was a Dell or HP sticker.

Now it seems to be the opposite. Apple products are bland uniform white/silver bricks that only those "not" in the know use.

Everytime I go to a creative department/marketing agency now, I look around and can immediately see those surface tablet things with those weird knob things everywhere with art being produced. Only the accounting departments seem to use Apple computers.

Its pretty strange the trading places.

User avatar
Muirium
µ

17 Jul 2019, 17:55

Some things never change, though. Like the absence of the word "Windows" from people's jibes at Mac users. PCs aren't just Macs in a different chassis, they're also a different platform. Different OS, different software, different environment.

You'd think you guys would talk about it if you felt it was good.

samuelcable

18 Jul 2019, 03:06

heres a couple more

I like robot in nuclear throne, i like the quick fix the most in tf2 out of the mediguns, and i think that the og cherry way of doing printscreen, scroll lock, num lock, and pause look way better than the "simplified" way on modern kits that dont have front legends and just say like "print". very specific, but its something that annoys me in a lot of gmk gbs now

oh also, i like quake champions, but its dead now so im assuming thats pretty unpopular :D

User avatar
Chyros

18 Jul 2019, 15:57

samuelcable wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 03:06
heres a couple more

I like robot in nuclear throne
Robot is great, it's Fish, Eyes, Steroids, Chicken and Horror I can't play with xD .

samuelcable

23 Jul 2019, 01:52

Computer cases should be as unassuming and sleek as possible, no angles, no windows, no RGB LEDS , pretty much just a square with ports on it.
to quote garry newman "PC manufacturers have kind of got it wrong for 10 years when designing gaming PCs. I don't want a computer that looks like a motorbike, I'm not 12 years old."

Anakey

23 Jul 2019, 09:32

The RGB i agree with you, however i do like having the side window, i can see the small LED indicator that gives codes if there is an issue with the mb during post without relying on morse code from a tinny speaker. I also like to see my water cooling loop given i spent so much on it.
Last edited by Anakey on 23 Jul 2019, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.

Findecanor

23 Jul 2019, 09:58

samuelcable wrote:
23 Jul 2019, 01:52
Computer cases should be as unassuming and sleek as possible, no angles, no windows, no RGB LEDS , pretty much just a square with ports on it.
Again, that's not an unpopular opinion — just yet another one that gets drowned in all the yelling from people in the other camp.

samuelcable

24 Jul 2019, 05:13

Findecanor wrote:
23 Jul 2019, 09:58
samuelcable wrote:
23 Jul 2019, 01:52
Computer cases should be as unassuming and sleek as possible, no angles, no windows, no RGB LEDS , pretty much just a square with ports on it.
Again, that's not an unpopular opinion — just yet another one that gets drowned in all the yelling from people in the other camp.
sorry, im bad at this

User avatar
snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

24 Jul 2019, 05:16

samuelcable wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 05:13
Findecanor wrote:
23 Jul 2019, 09:58
samuelcable wrote:
23 Jul 2019, 01:52
Computer cases should be as unassuming and sleek as possible, no angles, no windows, no RGB LEDS , pretty much just a square with ports on it.
Again, that's not an unpopular opinion — just yet another one that gets drowned in all the yelling from people in the other camp.
sorry, im bad at this
Image

User avatar
vometia
irritant

27 Jul 2019, 17:36

I want my computers to look like Orac from Blakes 7 (someone actually had a pretty good go at achieving this a few years back), or at the other extreme, like a big Vax. I know the "mainframe/mini" thing is contentious and was more marketing than anything, but from the other way around I still love Vance Haemmerle's VaxBar "mod"...

User avatar
vometia
irritant

27 Jul 2019, 17:42

...also the implication is that the website is still running on his VaxStation 3100/76, which is pretty good going. I still have one lying around and it's an incredibly solid beastie but its serial controller died 20-odd years ago so I haven't been able to get it to boot ever since. :/

samuelcable

09 Aug 2019, 13:37

I enjoy new games way more than old games , I tried to play so many old (popular) Nintendo games and I gave up each time because the new ones are just made better. Pretty much the only truely old game I like is doom , most other things don't feel worth playing anymore in modern times.

User avatar
Muirium
µ

09 Aug 2019, 14:04

<Looks up age. Not the least surprised.>

Games before my time feel that way to me. All the early 80s stuff where you had to read the manual to have a clue what the fuck the boxes on the screen were supposed to even represent? Nah.

But, going the other direction, I will still maintain that Super Mario Kart is the greatest action racing game ever made. So rewarding for those of us (before the web, remember) who wasted hours on gaining expertise. You could literally lap people, and NPCs, multiple times once you earned your chops. Hardcore! None of that rubber banding / false equivalence stuff everyone’s stuck with since.

andrewjoy

09 Aug 2019, 15:25

Modern games are all just generic boring slog fests designed to get money out of you after you already paid for the game.

User avatar
kbdfr
The Tiproman

09 Aug 2019, 15:32

andrewjoy wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 15:25
Modern games are all just generic boring slog fests […]
May I suggest at least this part of your sentence also applies to older games?
And, by the way, also to flippers, which were THE game when I was a kid…

User avatar
Chyros

09 Aug 2019, 17:00

I still regularly play DOS and other old games to this day, including really obscure ones. Games back then were just so different!

User avatar
Muirium
µ

09 Aug 2019, 17:05

Having thriving genres *besides* Doom clones was quite nice.

User avatar
PlacaFromHell

15 Aug 2019, 10:25

I guess this is not an unpopular opinion outside of my country, but marxism sucks. Thanks again, light blue and white banana republic.

User avatar
Muirium
µ

15 Aug 2019, 11:20

You mean this?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... on-primary

Don’t worry. The “centre left” are the good guys, when they’re not stuck in a food fight with themselves over who’s most woke. They even occasionally build stuff! Ah, those were the days…

User avatar
kbdfr
The Tiproman

15 Aug 2019, 11:26

If you want to assimilate left leaning with marxism,
you should also assimilate right leaning with fascism.

User avatar
PlacaFromHell

15 Aug 2019, 21:18

Muirium wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 11:20
You mean this?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... on-primary

Don’t worry. The “centre left” are the good guys, when they’re not stuck in a food fight with themselves over who’s most woke. They even occasionally build stuff! Ah, those were the days…
I don't want to live in a country where my taxes go to free computers for populist idiots when one person die of starvation every 10 hours. That already happened in 2013 when the country was ruled by the same communist scum.
kbdfr wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 11:26
If you want to assimilate left leaning with marxism,
you should also assimilate right leaning with fascism.
At least some facist leaders understood the importance of don't fucking kill your economy, Hjalmar Schacht did magic. I preffer the NSDAP ruling my country, anyway they already want to control the media and systematically disappear people. At least they would be efficient in something.
Last edited by PlacaFromHell on 15 Aug 2019, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.

cml

15 Aug 2019, 21:38

After 8 pages, thread gets unpopular for real. At last! :lol:

User avatar
Myoth

15 Aug 2019, 21:46

PlacaFromHell wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 21:18
At least some facist leaders understood the importance of don't fucking kill your economy, Hjalmar Schacht did magic. I preffer the NSDAP ruling my country, anyway they already want to control the media and systematically disappear people. At least they would be efficient in something.
You have to get the context of the war that was to happen though, it did magic because there was bank to made from the military preparations and such

It didn't do magic because it was him, or because he was a fascist, he did magic because was an opportunity for a shining economy

User avatar
depletedvespene

15 Aug 2019, 21:57

PlacaFromHell wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 10:25
I guess this is not an unpopular opinion outside of my country, but marxism sucks. Thanks again, light blue and white banana republic.
For that matter, from what I've heard from Argentinians, today's disastrous economy is the fault of Macri and only Macri, and to actually know better IS the unpopular opinion. And heaven help you if you even imply that Perón and his ilk were the true seeders of this...

... at least some people in Argentina have finally understood that Maradona is, and always was, a dumb slob. Perhaps one day a majority will also accept that the "hand of God" thing was actually neither a good trick to pull off nor something to brag about after the fact.

User avatar
depletedvespene

15 Aug 2019, 21:59

PlacaFromHell wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 21:18
Muirium wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 11:20
You mean this?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... on-primary

Don’t worry. The “centre left” are the good guys, when they’re not stuck in a food fight with themselves over who’s most woke. They even occasionally build stuff! Ah, those were the days…
I don't want to live in a country where my taxes go to free computers for populist idiots when one people die of starvation every 10 hours. That already happened in 2013 when the country was ruled by the same communist scum.
I live in the next country over, and some people here STILL believe this video:
is fake. Because, really, how could this possibly NOT be satire? (and yet...)
Last edited by depletedvespene on 15 Aug 2019, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
depletedvespene

15 Aug 2019, 22:00

kbdfr wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 11:26
If you want to assimilate left leaning with marxism,
you should also assimilate right leaning with fascism.
... or with left leaning, either.

Then again, caricaturization and demonization of the opponents is still a thing, and in a civilized world, this kind of crap should be disterred from politics.

Demonizing other people is acceptable only against 40% and BAE lovers. :mrgreen:

User avatar
PlacaFromHell

15 Aug 2019, 22:18

Talking serious about it, some of the economic decisions made by the NSDAP can work very well in my country because of the context. Right now we cannot resort to any conventional form of financing (taxes, currency or debt) and we have a constant inflationary panic and a lot of idleness. Would be good to see if we can make something like the Mefo bills to make a huge infrastructure plan, but dedicated to the private sector instead of a rearmament.
I'm not an economist either, so I don't want to talk too much.

User avatar
Muirium
µ

16 Aug 2019, 14:52

Fascism is a much bigger package than just large scale government owned, privately implemented infrastructure programs. I’m all in favour of those too, while being left wing myself.

Take a look at the story of the New Deal in the USA of the 1930s. That’s how to build your way up out of an almighty hole. Those projects built the foundations of American greatness ever since, including the industrial complex which won history’s largest ever war, against opponents who were also keen on massive public works!

Both sides can be bold. Indeed, that’s the greatness in all of us. Instead of squealing about the enemy, go build something for us.
depletedvespene wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 22:00
Demonizing other people is acceptable only against 40% and BAE lovers. :mrgreen:
Nah. Like honest-to-Hitler fully loyal Nazis, neither of those exist. Everyone’s got their caveats and clauses, their careful exceptions, their excuses to seem bold while actually not.

User avatar
depletedvespene

16 Aug 2019, 16:34

Muirium wrote:
16 Aug 2019, 14:52
Fascism is a much bigger package than just large scale government owned, privately implemented infrastructure programs. I’m all in favour of those too, while being left wing myself.

Take a look at the story of the New Deal in the USA of the 1930s. That’s how to build your way up out of an almighty hole. Those projects built the foundations of American greatness ever since, including the industrial complex which won history’s largest ever war, against opponents who were also keen on massive public works!

Both sides can be bold. Indeed, that’s the greatness in all of us. Instead of squealing about the enemy, go build something for us.
At some point, it ceases to be about left wing (vs. center wing) vs. right wing or free trade vs. centrally planned economy or even about democracy vs whichever non-democracy is in vogue. Sometimes, a GOOD leader needs to make a choice to take a painful measure in order to fix some serious problem and then stick with it, not caring for how unpopular it is (which would hurt him in the next election or whatever) and not even caring about being "there" once the rewards are reaped, possibly decades later.

And sadly, that quality is severely lacking in our so-called-leaders around here, and in some neighboring countries as well. The "fear of the upcoming election" is a serious factor among plenty of our politicians, and when that inevitably produces bad results, it drives people on to some populist jackass who may or may not have the required cojones himself and may or may not have a deep respect for democracy or even rule of law, either. And people, later on, complain about something when the real problem is a different one.


Like BAE. In and of itself, that enormous key isn't THAT BAD in and of itself — it's the 1U Backspace the true evil (and the various fixes to avoid that are also pretty bad, too).

User avatar
Muirium
µ

16 Aug 2019, 17:28

depletedvespene wrote:
16 Aug 2019, 16:34
Like BAE. In and of itself, that enormous key isn't THAT BAD in and of itself — it's the 1U Backspace the true evil (and the various fixes to avoid that are also pretty bad, too).
Exactly! Just like communism is a great idea, if only individual human beings didn't have free will, group loyalties, personal interests and their own opinions, and so needed "fixed" to fit the system. Big if! The same pattern of argument can be used against every philosophy. And, far more importantly: keyboard layout.

Speaking of which—to off-topic this off-topic—my complaint about ISO is similar to yours against Big Booty Return. I don't mind the double deck ISO Return key per se. My fury is all about that ridiculous shrunken Left Shift which forever partners it. Left Shift is my main shift! That's the one I use with arrow keys for function's sake! (Also applies with the right hand centric Fn arrow layer on HHKB.) I'm lighter on Right Shift, yet it's the one that's retained in all its outsized glory on so many keyboards, while its left partner is either small or tiny! Gah. It's so wrong, it's not even symmetrical. I don't even…

Post Reply

Return to “Off-topic”