The Off-Topic Brutally Honest Photography Thread

mr_a500

17 Oct 2019, 02:38

I thought I'd start a thread about photography. It would be nice to be able to post a photo and ask real photographers (or people who pretend to be real photographers) their opinion about if the posted photo absolutely sucks or not. I won't (and I hope others don't) take it personally if the photos are critically demolished as the pieces of crap that they inevitably turn out to be.

I'll start with this photo, taken this morning. This photo looks like one of those annoying super-saturated images, but it is completely unaltered - no saturation, no sharpening, no changes at all, just cropping. (cheap camera and lens) Yes, it probably needs shadow highlights, but this is a completely unaltered photo, done in low lighting early in the morning.
seagull on Bug.jpg
seagull on Bug.jpg (300.5 KiB) Viewed 2178 times

mr_a500

17 Oct 2019, 03:01

Before anybody questions the bright colours - yes, it's autumn in Canada and those bright reds, oranges and yellows are real - and the early morning sun is highlighting it.

mr_a500

17 Oct 2019, 03:37

What about this little guy?
The attachment little guy on bicycle.JPG is no longer available
...or this guy here?
little guy on bicycle.JPG
little guy on bicycle.JPG (427.48 KiB) Viewed 2143 times

User101

17 Oct 2019, 05:33

The kind of thread for me. Is that a vw beetle I'm looking at here?

xxhellfirexx

17 Oct 2019, 08:42

For the seagull picture, I would blur and darken the background more as it is busy and bright. The seagull should be brightened to bring out the feather details with a vignette blur to bring focus to it.

For the first squirrel picture, I would brighten the squirrel to bring out the detail on the fur and saturate the background. The dark splotch on the top right corner is distracting so I would take it out.

The second squirrel picture is the best of the three. Again, I would brighten the squirrel and saturate the background.

mr_a500

17 Oct 2019, 10:14

xxhellfirexx wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 08:42
For the seagull picture, I would blur and darken the background more as it is busy and bright. The seagull should be brightened to bring out the feather details with a vignette blur to bring focus to it.
Yes, I agree about brightening the seagull. As I said, it needs shadow highlights. And it's interesting what you said about the "dark splotch" in the first squirrel photo. I didn't even notice that. I'd say what you did with the first two photos are definite improvements. :)

However, with the second squirrel photo, I think your version is over-sharpened and colour is wrong. I know the little guy in real life and he looks too red. (he's dark - hence his name, "the dark guy" :D ) While I might agree that sometimes pictures look better with different colours and with over saturating, I prefer to faithfully reproduce exactly what I see in real life - even if it looks worse.
User101 wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 05:33
The kind of thread for me. Is that a vw beetle I'm looking at here?
Yes, 1958 VW Beetle. (unfortunately now rusting to hell, thanks to the sea air)
Bug sunrise 2048.jpg
(once again, colour is a bit dark and pale, but this is exactly how the sunrise looked - strangely coloured)

User101

17 Oct 2019, 16:55

What a beautiful car! Sorry for the rust but at least it looks awesome on the surface

andrewjoy

17 Oct 2019, 17:02

That Hitler car is blocking the view of the beautiful beach !

mr_a500

17 Oct 2019, 18:42

andrewjoy wrote:
Yeah, Hitler cars will do that.

Here's a picture of a Hitler car blocking a view of Hitler.
Hitler Volkswagen.png
Hitler Volkswagen.png (254.6 KiB) Viewed 1897 times

flowerlandfilms

23 Oct 2019, 15:50

mr_a500 wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 18:42
andrewjoy wrote:
Yeah, Hitler cars will do that.

Here's a picture of a Hitler car blocking a view of Hitler.
Hitler Volkswagen.png
The composition of this Hitler and his cronies photo is horrible.
Hitler is clearly supposed to be the focal point, but is predictably leaning to the right, ruining everyones good time.
Using a strong flash with stacked subjects is inadvisable, as it creates shadowy figures, although this is admittedly inevitable with Nazis.
Relying on the dynamic range of Black and White film can not save a lack of attention to detail and planning.
<speculation> Perhaps the same reason they froze to death in Russia </speculation>

mr_a500

23 Oct 2019, 17:11

Well when I took that photo of Hitler, I was very young. Also, I was originally standing to the left to centre it, but Hitler said something like, "Get out of my line of sight, you little wiener schnitzel!" (...or something to that effect)

mr_a500

23 Oct 2019, 17:37

Nobody else is posting photos?

Here's another - a somewhat evil looking blue jay, looking in my window. (actually, not a bad guy)

User101

23 Oct 2019, 18:42

mr_a500 wrote:
23 Oct 2019, 17:37
Nobody else is posting photos?
I tried, file too large :cry:

Return to “Off-topic”