eBay UK Find: TVS Gold With Cherry MX Blues for £18

Charlie_Brown_MX

01 Apr 2012, 16:14

I’ve never used one myself, and can’t vouch for the seller, but at £18 including postage this would make a nice cheap keyboard to try out blues if you’re so inclined: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TVS-Gold-Keyb ... 0945620083

Would also make a good donor board for switches. >18p a switch!

dirge

03 Apr 2012, 09:54

We.ve had word back that the switches don't feel like new blue. But the caps were double shot.

Ill photo mine when it finally arrives.

Charlie_Brown_MX

03 Apr 2012, 10:00

Where did you hear back? Geekhack?

I’m not surprised that they don’t feel like new blues — anything mechanical will wear with use, so second-hand blues will almost certainly feel different from new ones. The doubleshot caps are a nice bonus though, but shame about that odd enter key.

Maarten

03 Apr 2012, 10:12

Charlie_Brown_MX

03 Apr 2012, 10:20

Maarten wrote:http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?29360

amongst others.....
Duly noted. I didn’t see any posts about these on Deskthority though…

dirge

03 Apr 2012, 11:55

Don't think it got a mention on here.

Maybe for the best given the condition they are in. Do the spring survive or change over time? I can use this to ghetto red or ergoclear a board at least.

I'll compare the caps to cherry ds when they get here. No current value in these given Ascaii's high quality collection, but worth reporting on maybe?

Charlie_Brown_MX

03 Apr 2012, 15:20

dirge wrote:Maybe for the best given the condition they are in. Do the spring survive or change over time?
The spring is undergoing constant compression and expansion in use, so this mechanical deformation will result in a gradual change in feel and resistance in the spring. Wear is impossible to avoid in the long run.
I can use this to ghetto red or ergoclear a board at least.
I don’t understand you mean by “ghetto”?
I'll compare the caps to cherry ds when they get here. No current value in these given Ascaii's high quality collection, but worth reporting on maybe?
Definitely worth a look if nothing else!

itlnstln

03 Apr 2012, 15:23

"Ghetto Red" - Taking an MX Black switch and swapping the spring with an MX Brown.

dirge

03 Apr 2012, 15:32

I was only wondering where the blue switch issue would be? Switch top/stem or whether the spring would be a major factor?

I'm only looking to try the ghetto reds, I don't mind blacks actually. Day to day typing at work they seem fine, just wanted to try less actuation force.

Charlie_Brown_MX

03 Apr 2012, 16:13

itlnstln wrote:"Ghetto Red" - Taking an MX Black switch and swapping the spring with an MX Brown.
Okay, gotcha.
dirge wrote:I was only wondering where the blue switch issue would be? Switch top/stem or whether the spring would be a major factor?
Oh, right. I’m not sure. It could be any of those parts, or all of them. Each part will be subject to wear and tear from use. The only way to know for sure would be to take them apart and examine them to see which parts had been most worn. It would be easier if you had a mint switch to compare them against though.
I'm only looking to try the ghetto reds, I don't mind blacks actually. Day to day typing at work they seem fine, just wanted to try less actuation force.
I haven’t actually tried *any* Cherry switches. I should probably leave this forum in disgrace after admitting that.

Return to “Off-topic”