Xbox 360 Controller - Mechanical Switches

Reddog9287

03 Apr 2012, 00:55

Hello all, I am new here, so I thought I'd like to contribute a little bit.
I had an idea recently which I am going to be working on very soon, I just have to make a decision on one part:
I am going to modify my Xbox 360 controller to use mechanical switches for the A, B, X, Y, buttons instead of the rubber switch.
I need help deciding which switch type to use for this (I am not that familiar with the types). My preference is a lighter switch (ie. low actuation force) but with a tactile/clicky feel to it. It also has to be small!

Here is a screenshot of a CAD drawing of the controller's board. White = button terminals. Red = Switch size
The Cherry MX Blue switches (my favorite) measure 15.6mm X 15.6mm which does not fit. You can see that it overlaps

Here is a CAD drawing of just any old tact switches from RadioShack. These are "SPST 12VDC/50mA 5.0mm High Tact Switch". The red extension on the top is a representation of the "B" button on the Xbox Controller.
Here is the link for that switch: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... er+%243.99

I can include some other measurements if you would like. Thus far I only have the concept, measurements, and various CAD drawings. I can design a new switch for you all to view and comment on as far as how functional it will be.

Thanks!!!
~Reddog9287

[EDIT] In my research, I found out that the Razer Onza has mechanical buttons, however this will be a little bit of a different thing. With a type of keyboard switch (granted I can find one) it will have a smooth feel, as well as a sort of "travel" to it. It also aims to be cheaper, and a simple modification to a controller that you already own.

Icarium

03 Apr 2012, 11:01

Don't do that.

Those buttons are analog!

Reddog9287

03 Apr 2012, 12:24

Icarium wrote: Those buttons are analog!
The radioshack buttons or the xbox buttons?

[EDIT] Doh :roll: of course both are, but there is no keyboard switch that is analog? I was under the strange impression that they were... I have to look again.

[EDIT 2] Right, so my understanding was that
...white inner slider (which opens/closes the circuit).
Which is basically just what the other buttons do...

Reddog9287

06 Apr 2012, 02:24

Done! Will post a few pics when I'm not too lazy :P

ripster

06 Apr 2012, 03:43

I was going to post pics of the actual Xbox innards but I'm too lazy too.

Reddog9287

06 Apr 2012, 04:15

Alright Ripster, I'm done being lazy now, here's how it all went down:

I decided to go with the regular tact switches from RadioShack for now. Next to Roosevelt (dime) for comparison.

Here are the pads that are originally on the controller.

The switches fit like so (see earlier CAD drawing)

They are the same height! Perfect! (also see CAD drawing)

With switch and "B" Button, perfect fit

All seated

I had to sand the buttons, I just could not get the switches soldered on perfectly to line up with them!

Little modification to pads

Hanging out on my wall

Finished product has a tactile feel when the button is depressed and looks just like a stock Xbox 360 controller. It makes pressing the button easier -> faster reaction in games. Tested out in Halo: Reach; works like a charm :mrgreen:

The Razer Onza tournament edition does something similar with its buttons but hey, this cost me $4.00 and twenty minutes! Can't beat that!

If anyone is interested, I will post a "How-To Guide" for this.

~Reddog9287

Ascaii
The Beard

06 Apr 2012, 10:09

The answer is always yes. I would be interested in how you made contact from buttons to the pcb and got the seating wiggle free. Mod section please =D
Last edited by Ascaii on 06 Apr 2012, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

Icarium

06 Apr 2012, 12:24

I wonder how the analog feature of the original buttons works.

off

06 Apr 2012, 22:50

Ascaii wrote: contact from buttons to the pcb
An option would be just drilling holes in the solderpads instead of scraping then soldering to the pads.

And regarding the supposed analogue buttons-
TIL xbox1's controller face buttons are analog (8-bit). Yet the 360's aren't. Supposedly. Sources: 1 2 3

Icarium

06 Apr 2012, 23:07

Hm..I wish I knew where my Dead or Alive is to confirm this. I never played it on the 360.

Reddog9287

07 Apr 2012, 02:18

Interesting idea Off! I can't seem to find the "Mods" section -.- do you mean "Workshop" Ascaii?

[EDIT] In reply to Icarium, those buttons are actually not analog. I said they were before but I was thinking reverse (analog was digital and digital was analog). Haha *facepalm*

Ascaii
The Beard

07 Apr 2012, 09:08

Yes! Workshop.

off

07 Apr 2012, 13:52

Reddog9287 wrote:but there is no keyboard switch that is analog? I was under the strange impression that they were...
On that note, I'd say Topre switches are- although not to windows.
Get funky with a bigass (custom) controller: get analog keyswitch.

Reddog9287

08 Apr 2012, 00:46

Posted in Workshop section!

JesuswasaZombie

11 Apr 2012, 00:50

definitely going to try this...

Reddog9287

11 Apr 2012, 00:52

DeathRay take a look at the Workshop section to see how I did the soldering! I highly recommend doing this it's a really great feel.

JesuswasaZombie

11 Apr 2012, 00:55

Can't wait to see the look on my room mates face when they wan't to watch netflix and the xbox controller is in pieces :D

Reddog9287

11 Apr 2012, 02:26

Ahaha great, see if you can get a pic! LOL

Trent

12 Apr 2012, 08:15

Video with sound? Does one exist yet? YouTube this please!

Reddog9287

16 Apr 2012, 01:27

Trent I'd love to make a video! I've been a little busy with work and school (and watching Top Gear ;) ) but I'll make one when I get a chance.

off

16 Apr 2012, 13:20

Shouldn't both threads be consolidated somehow?
(+1 on the vid ;))

Reddog9287

19 Apr 2012, 04:32

Yeah I'd like for the threads to be consolidated but I guess it's okay for now. Video is coming I promise! I just have to finish it up sorry guys been so busy with school and work over here

Reddog9287

25 Apr 2012, 22:23

Return to “Off-topic”