New Member, Need some advice

Holymnky

02 Jun 2021, 09:21

Good Afternoon everyone!

Glad to be here and I have never really thought about keyboards much until I came to Japan. The absolute insanity that is keyboards here are ridiculous and I didn't know you could actually enjoy typing. I currently have a Dell Sk-3205 (yikes) and I have a razor keyboard at home that has been driving me up the wall but I digress.

I wanted some advice on what my first keyboard that I should be to try out! Current budget is around 200 bucks and I have no real preference on key type feel so anything is great! Please let me know some suggestions and I am excited to be a part of the community.

-Holymnky :D

Bjerrk

02 Jun 2021, 09:23

Well, if you're in Japan, an "obvious" choice would be a Topre keyboard? As with many things keyboard, some adore them, others not so much.

Go-Kart

02 Jun 2021, 09:52

Welcome!

I'd say Topre too, being a Topre man myself. However, rather than blowing your beans all at once, a Dell Bigfoot is a good, cheap starting point. Black Alps switches are a nice introduction to tactile switches. Plus, they can be linearised, which is a surprisingly good mod.

Aside from particular recommendations, I'd look at threads like this to see if anything catches your eye aesthetically.

Hypersphere

02 Jun 2021, 14:52

@Holymnky: Welcome to Deskthority (DT)!

I have enjoyed the mechanical keyboard hobby for quite a few years, and my collection includes many varieties of switch types, keyboard sizes and form factors, keyboard layouts, and keycap compositions and colors. In my own case, I prefer a 60% form factor, HHKB layout, and dye-sublimated PBT keycaps. As for switches, I like Topre, Alps (blue or white), and IBM Model F buckling springs.

My overall favorite keyboard is the Fujitsu Happy Hacking Keyboard (HHKB) Pro Hybrid Type-S (silenced). Shown below is a pic of one of my HHKBs with some keycap substitutions (blue for most of the alphanumeric keys, white for the cursor diamond, red escape key, and unprinted black for the space bar and modifier keys).

hhkb_151221ab50.png
hhkb_151221ab50.png (364.73 KiB) Viewed 8331 times
Try to find a store where you can try out various keyboards and choose the one that works the best for you.

Good luck!

fohat
Elder Messenger

02 Jun 2021, 15:35

Early on in the process you will have to decide how much tactility and resistance you require.

Linear switches are probably smoother and quieter, but I despise them because I need to feel something at actuation.

Then you have to understand how heavy-handed you are. Light switches are easier and quieter, but you may need to feel some resistance under your fingertips.

ddrfraser1

02 Jun 2021, 16:49

If it were me, I'd get several boards to try out. $200 goes a long way on ebay... well, not if you're after a Topre...

Holymnky

03 Jun 2021, 02:51

chimp wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 00:26
Oh boy am I envious of your position, 200 bucks will get you a lovely Topre board and take you a lot further than those of us who have to rely on international shipping and proxy fees. As entry-level boards go I wholeheartedly recommend Topre Realforce and/or HHKB as a straight-up skip to "endgame" keyboard satisfaction.

Which layout do you prefer? Do you mind buying used keyboards?
I usually use a basic layout for English and I have a Japanese keyboard layout with a single key backspace. This weekend I am going to a Realforce Keyboard store that also has HHKB and other Japanese brands, so I will post if I end up buying one!

Holymnky

03 Jun 2021, 02:53

ddrfraser1 wrote:
If it were me, I'd get several boards to try out. $200 goes a long way on ebay... well, not if you're after a Topre...
What are some boards to look out for that are affordable and in abundance? I figure since I am in Japan I might as well try out some Topre boards since electronic stores are HUGE here.

Holymnky

03 Jun 2021, 02:57

Hypersphere wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 14:52
@Holymnky: Welcome to Deskthority (DT)!

I have enjoyed the mechanical keyboard hobby for quite a few years, and my collection includes many varieties of switch types, keyboard sizes and form factors, keyboard layouts, and keycap compositions and colors. In my own case, I prefer a 60% form factor, HHKB layout, and dye-sublimated PBT keycaps. As for switches, I like Topre, Alps (blue or white), and IBM Model F buckling springs.

My overall favorite keyboard is the Fujitsu Happy Hacking Keyboard (HHKB) Pro Hybrid Type-S (silenced). Shown below is a pic of one of my HHKBs with some keycap substitutions (blue for most of the alphanumeric keys, white for the cursor diamond, red escape key, and unprinted black for the space bar and modifier keys).

hhkb_151221ab50.png

Try to find a store where you can try out various keyboards and choose the one that works the best for you.

Good luck!
@Hypersphere Thank you for the recommendation! There are tons of stores here with Topre boards and some Filca boards so I will go and take a look this weekend! I like the size and style of the HHKB and its really wonderful to look at.

ddrfraser1

03 Jun 2021, 19:13

Holymnky wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 02:53
ddrfraser1 wrote:
What are some boards to look out for that are affordable and in abundance? I figure since I am in Japan I might as well try out some Topre boards since electronic stores are HUGE here.
Yes, topre boards are a great option. As far as what to look for, well that could take months of knowing what to look out for and what you like. I would just say watch lots of youtube videos.

Muirium
µ

03 Jun 2021, 19:56

Yes. And if you can demo keyboards in the stores: do so! What a pleasure. It’s been a long, long time since you could do much of that here.

Bethanie Rich

07 Jun 2021, 02:30

what about Logitech G413?

Return to “Off-topic”