WWDC 2012

ped

11 Jun 2012, 19:28

Anybody excited? New MacBook Pro model! Fuck yeah! :) Ditch the optical drives!

fossala
Elite +1

11 Jun 2012, 19:35

I hate apple. They can rot in hell for all I care. They got lucky that hipsters like them like the mindless drones they are, otherwise they wouldn't have a use. Nevermind that they nicked from BSD without giving back. Bought cups just so it didn't get changed to gpl3. Have shit working conditions for there employes. Superglue there keyboards so you cannot repair them. Grab paintents on the most obvious things. Sues anyone for not much reason.

The list can go on!

ripster

11 Jun 2012, 19:44

I just took some pics with my iPad of my RipOruster.

Don't click on them.

Don't click my iPad Tips&Tricks EITHER!
Last edited by ripster on 11 Jun 2012, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.

ped

11 Jun 2012, 19:51

Haha, I was thinking of you when I posted this, ripster.

fossala, is your name derived from foss? Meh, I know Apple aren't a stellar good behaviour company, but I like their products. No company is perfect. Apple just make the best laptops in my opinion. I don't own any Apple products so I'm not some hipster who's been brainwashed either.

fossala
Elite +1

11 Jun 2012, 19:58

Yeah my name does derive from foss. I like to moan as well. :)
I used to use a hackintosh for a while. They aren't bad OSes on the dumb level but when you want to get your hands dirty it is a PITA. I would consider giving one to my misses instead of Ubuntu if there wasn't my emotions envolved.

Not trying to troll, just happens natrualy when apple is mentioned.

ripster

11 Jun 2012, 20:00

Oh boy, don't look at this either.

Anyway I don't really follow the developer conferences. Been there, done that.

Lack of booth babes is a SERIOUS deterrent.

off

11 Jun 2012, 20:09

fossala wrote:I hate apple. They can rot in hell for all I care. They got lucky that hipsters like them like the mindless drones they are, otherwise they wouldn't have a use. Nevermind that they nicked from BSD without giving back. Bought cups just so it didn't get changed to gpl3. Have shit working conditions for there employes. Superglue there keyboards so you cannot repair them. Grab paintents on the most obvious things. Sues anyone for not much reason.

The list can go on!
You know I heard of this Ripster character that is like their main sponsor; and he's supposed to be into keyboards! Torch him?

ped

11 Jun 2012, 20:14

fossala, I had a hackintosh for a bit too but it was kind of unstable on my machine, and I was too lazy to try to figure it out. I think that OS X is better than Windows because it has a real command line. It's a commercial OS and is growing quickly so a lot more things support it now.

ripster, LMAO, well, don't keep up with it, but the online store will be open sometime soon so you can see it in all it's glory. Might even get it in stores today? Soon anyway. The new MacBook Pro is probably the best part of it all. Amazing resolution of 2880 x 1800 and no useless optical drive, it's slightly thinner and I think the Apple logo on the back doesn't light up anymore, but I don't know for sure. I'll probably be getting the updated version next year, cause I'm poor and I want to get a significant boost from my current machine when I upgrade anyway.

fossala
Elite +1

11 Jun 2012, 20:16

ped wrote:It's a commercial OS and is growing quickly so a lot more things support it now.
Give me Emacs, GCC and a browser and I am happy. (irssi and mcabber as well for chat).

ped

11 Jun 2012, 20:21

fossala wrote:Give me Emacs, GCC and a browser and I am happy. (irssi and mcabber as well for chat).
I was thinking mostly of games, to be honest. In that respect it's a good thing for *nix type systems (or their users) cause if the game runs on OpenGL it's easier to get it running. Anyway, I believe all those run on OS X, so you're good to go! :D

fossala
Elite +1

11 Jun 2012, 20:23

Consoles are for gaming. But isn't linux getting Steam this year? Don't care if it is propritery but some do. Not that I am a cheap arse, I do donate to a fair few foss causes.

ped

11 Jun 2012, 20:33

What? LOL. Yes, consoles are for gaming, but they kinda suck ass. Graphics quality on a real computer tends to be much better, in my opinion. Maybe Steam is coming? I don't know... Either way, that 2880 x 1800 resolution is fucking awesome. Haven't seen that on any other laptop, and on very few screens. I mean, even a Dell 30" is 2560x1600. That's a significantly fewer pixels on a significantly larger screen. Also lack of optical drive is cool, cause I don't use mine so why should anyone be paying for it/why should it be taking up valuable battery/storage space? It's finally an option on a 'desktop class' notebook to have no optical drive. The good thing is that other manufacturers will now have to try to match it, just because Apple is the company to beat, and that can only be a good thing for everyone.

off

11 Jun 2012, 20:40

ped wrote:The new MacBook Pro is probably the best part of it all. Amazing resolution of 2880 x 1800 and no useless optical drive, it's slightly thinner and I think the Apple logo on the back doesn't light up anymore, but I don't know for sure.
That sounds so fricking awesome.
Honestly it sounds like the same reasoning heard of ipod/ipad/iphone upgraders... THIS NEW ONE CAN TAKE PICTURE! OMFG!

I might be a bit harsh seeing how I haven't got a clue what the last MBP was, nor have I checked this one out; but to me a near-useless resolution and a lack of light paired with a lack of dvd-drive doesn't sound like OMFG.. :|

ped

11 Jun 2012, 20:49

Haha, I have wanted a laptop without an optical drive since forever ago. I don't own any Apple products so I wouldn't be upgrading anyway, not in that sense. The light is also just something that annoys me, though that is very minor. Apple products are as much 'beautiful' things as they are technological devices. I see the value in both, and I like my devices to look good. Unfortunately I don't have that kind of money. I'm just expressing the fact that I'm glad that optical drives are finally gone, and that we finally have better resolutions on laptops. I, for one, would appreciate what is effectively more real estate on my computer screen. I also think that it's an absolute waste to have an ODD for those of us who never use them, so I am glad that they have done that. I may get one, I may not. But I'm still glad they did it, because it will drive prices down for high res screens and, in the case of the ODDs, because other manufacturers might start doing the same. This leaves more space for batteries, and therefore the products will last for a longer period.

off

11 Jun 2012, 21:03

2880x1800 on a +-17" screen..
I'm probably tainted by Windows' forever failing to give usable DPI settings, but still, I can't really see a desktop be anywhere near usable with so many PPI.. Ofcourse the usability does increase in (3d) design apps, but the desktop itself..
I'm on a 22" with 1680*1080, and although more real estate would be appreciated at most times, I require readable fonts and clickable parts.

On second thought, I'm thinking it probably is Windows' fault. Supposedly they now have properly scaling fonts.
Meaning, you'll have a crisper display (if you were to get that sucker), but hardly more usable deskspace. Correct?

fossala
Elite +1

11 Jun 2012, 21:06

I use 24" and 1920x1200. I would need a bigger screen to make the resolution worth while.

ped

11 Jun 2012, 21:10

With regards to the DPI settings, yes, I believe that is Windows' fault. For their own applications, Apple seem to have optimized everything to make it work well, and I don't think anyway can deny that they have some of the best presentation on their devices so I think in that regard no one is or should be worrying.

It's more oriented to photography/art/3d work I suppose. Certainly crisper, not necessarily a lot more usable real estate, but I see very well close up, just no far away so maybe it would be usable. It depends on how far from the screen your eyes are. I'd have to see it myself to know, so it's a good thing they have their retail stores just about everywhere and I can go see one. Also, the crazy thing is that it's on a 15 inch display. They seem to have discontinued their 17 inch laptops.

Findecanor

12 Jun 2012, 02:09

ped wrote:The new MacBook Pro is probably the best part of it all.

Amazing resolution of 2880 x 1800 and no useless optical drive[...]
Check the price of that thing. The display is expensive...
I have not tried it in person yet, but I think that 220 PPI could be overkill for a desktop or laptop computer. The 110 PPI of the MacBook Pro with DVD drive is just right, in my opinion. The {264, 326} PPI of the {iPad (3), iPhone} could be justified because you hold the screen closer to your eyes.
Well, at least the display is 16:10 and not 15:9. :P

There is also no Ethernet port, so you would have to use WiFi, or a USB dongle. ... but there are only two USB ports. A coworker that used a MacBook Air (that also had only two USB ports) had to use a USB dongle and wireless keyboard and mouse.
I wonder which keyboard they have in it also. The old MacBook Pro keyboard had less key travel than the desktop keyboard, and the MacBook Air has ridiculously low key travel.

BTW. Apple did one thing right, though: HDMI instead of DisplayPort.

ped

12 Jun 2012, 03:06

The HDMI port is not 'instead' of DisplayPort, it's in addition to two Thunderbolt ports, which, in case you do not know, are 'backwards compatible' with DisplayPort. So it has 3 video out ports, more if you use USB 3.0 adapters I guess. Supposedly it only supports 2 external monitors, so I don't know exactly how it would work. I was kinda pissed off at the no Ethernet port 'feature'. Basically, yeah, they're trying to encourage people to use WiFi. They called Ethernet 'legacy'. The alternative is a Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter. It kind of makes sense, particularly if you'll only use Ethernet at home, on your desk, you might as well just have a 'dock system' set up and just connect the laptop to that via Thunderbolt, and then it's just one high speed interface to connect to, but I'm not entirely sure I like it too much.

Anyway, yeah, I think 220 PPI might be overkill, but I don't have an opinion until I see it. I think this will push the prices for higher resolution displays down, so that would be a good thing that would come out of it. I know it would defeat the purpose of the extra pixels/cost, but if someone doesn't want that kind of resolution it's always possible to run it at lower resolutions.

I hate the ODD though, so I'm glad to see it gone. At least it's an option to not have it now, on a laptop of all things. I probably use my ODD like 2 times a year. I probably wouldn't use the laptop's keyboard when at my desk, only when out and about or on the sofa, and I'd most likely use it most of the time at home on my desk anyway. As far as Apple keyboards go, obviously it's not comparable to using a proper keyboard, but as far as I have been able to tell the quality of the construction of their keyboards is better than most. Before I became obsessed with keyboards, I bought some 'laptop style' (scissor switch) Logitech keyboard and the keys started to squeak which was really annoying. Never really had any problems with Apple keyboard breaking on me, but I will admit that the travel is incredibly short. I don't know that that is much of a problem to me, on the integrated laptop keyboard. I'm actually more pleased at the fact that the actual layout can be chosen, so I wouldn't be forced to use ISO when I prefer ANSI. Most, if not all, other manufacturers only offer whatever the 'local' version is.

Apple stuff is expensive. That's just how it is. I'm not saying that they aren't charging more than they should, but that's their price, and no one is forcing anyone to buy their products, so, if you don't like the price you don't buy it. I'm not buying it, at least not this year. The next time I walk past an Apple store I will go in to check it out though. :)

Findecanor

12 Jun 2012, 04:36

ped wrote:The alternative is a Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter.
Of course, I totally overlooked that. BTW, it seems that Apple rolled out their adapter only very recently ... (hours ago?)
ped wrote:Anyway, yeah, I think 220 PPI might be overkill, but I don't have an opinion until I see it.
From what I have read over the net in the past few hours, the idea is supposedly that the interface should be doubled, just like they did with the third-gen iPad.
ped wrote:I think this will push the prices for higher resolution displays down, so that would be a good thing that would come out of it. I know it would defeat the purpose of the extra pixels/cost, but if someone doesn't want that kind of resolution it's always possible to run it at lower resolutions.
Mmm.. I hope that this will also inspire the "other" side, I.e. Microsoft and Windows PC makers.
There are not many other laptops than Apple's that have 16:10 displays, or particularly high resolution.

I also hope that this will inspire Microsoft to also make their interface more scalable. I was abhorred when I learned that the Metro interface was made for a fixed set of resolutions with absolute positioned screen elements. I wrote scalable UI's using the Magic User Interface toolkit on the Amiga back in 1994. That was 18 years ago, for crying out loud. Catch up!

Jim66

12 Jun 2012, 20:14

Still no f***ing updates for the iMac?!?! Why Apple whhhhyyy?!?!

ripster

12 Jun 2012, 20:19

Hey, FINALLY a monitor as high resolution as what I am typing this post on!

Any booth babes in White?

off

12 Jun 2012, 23:47

ripster wrote:I for one welcome our new pc overlords.

Any booth babes in White?
The fuck is this shit?
Neither looks like quality, nor comfort..
Second pic nearly made up for that, but alas, fugly skirts blocking the view; and should've basically made the shot from the other front angle.

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Jun 2012, 00:58

You rang?

ripster

13 Jun 2012, 01:10

Zowie!

The first one looks photoshopped.

off

13 Jun 2012, 01:11

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring ring!

ripster

13 Jun 2012, 01:42

Quack!
coolpc-ducky-shining-28.jpg
coolpc-ducky-shining-28.jpg (62.53 KiB) Viewed 5089 times

DuckFace!
11.JPG
11.JPG (272.13 KiB) Viewed 5089 times

Unrelated. Just like the smiles and the LogiCool Tattoo.
01.JPG
01.JPG (62.15 KiB) Viewed 5089 times

ped

13 Jun 2012, 04:12

Turns out the Apple logo still lights up using the LCD's backlight. Looked like it didn't for a second there. Oh well, a sticker will fix it.
Jim66 wrote:Still no f***ing updates for the iMac?!?! Why Apple whhhhyyy?!?!
Bit stupid I guess, but supposedly updates for iMac and Mac Pro are coming in 2013. Tim Cook himself, apparently, wrote a message saying that the Mac Pro will be updated in 2013. He didn't explicitly mention iMac but other 'sources' seem to. The Mac Pro WAS updated just now but the update is rather insignificant, it's using 'updated' CPUs from 2 years ago.

ped

13 Jun 2012, 04:16

ripster wrote: Unrelated. Just like the smiles and the LogiCool Tattoo.
EWWWW, I bought that piece of shit. :|

Worst. Purchase. Ever.

I gave it to my Dad afterwards. :lol:

Charlie_Brown_MX

13 Jun 2012, 15:53

I’m going to skip over the FOSS flamewar and the Asian girls photo posts to say I was disappointed to see that the new MacBook Pro has soldered RAM, just like the MacBook Air.

Return to “Off-topic”