The Retro Gamers' topic

Icarium

13 Jun 2012, 18:06

Hm...on my list of contenders for the best game ever:

dungeon keeper
half-life

Played those so many times I'd have to take my shoes of to count them.

off

13 Jun 2012, 18:16

captain wrote:Y'all will appreciate this video
Since everyone just loves fake tits. :|

Still unfathomable how any girl can get to the point that they will wreck their looks with that gunk.

@ica, dungeon keeper was cool for sure; lots of fun to be had. But half-life? meh. Halfway decent gameplay with halfway decent storytelling.. Prefer 'Indigo Prophecy' even though the gameplay sucks bad at times and the story falls off a cliff.

ripster

13 Jun 2012, 18:21

HL3 COULD be released tomorrow! Like Unicomps IBM Space Saving Buckling Spring Mini!

Daniel Beaver

13 Jun 2012, 18:31

I suspect Valve will announce Half Life 2: episode 3, Half Life 3, Portal 3, Team Fortress 3, Left 4 Dead 3, Dota 3, and Day of Defeat 3 all in one day just for fun.

On the subject of the topic at hand:
Retro, to me, implies games from the 1970 till around 1994. And with very rare exceptions I think they display a lot of fundamentally bad game design. They were surely fun at the time, but modern games are generally better.

I play a lot of older games, especially from the late 90's and early 2000's. Right now I'm working through Jedi Knight 2, and starting to play Civ 3 for the first time. Stuff like Quake, Half-Life, Starcraft, Mario 64, Alpha Centauri, Freespace 2, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Planescape, Spyro, Zelda 64, Wind Waker, Xenogears, Banjo-Kazooie, UT, Counter-Strike, Deus Ex, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Red Alert 2, Warcraft 3, Morrowind, etc. still hold up very well after more than a decade. I keep a 1TB hard drive full of semi/non legal copies of old games for when the internet apocalypse happens.

RC-1140

13 Jun 2012, 19:07

funny to see such a thread now, that I was given an Atari Mega STE yesterday. 4 Floppys with various versions of Hack on it were given me as well...

But I have two keyboards now as well, one with Rubber Sleeves and pad printed ABS keycaps in pretty good condition, and one with Cherry MX Blacks and pad printed, somewhat spherical, ABS keycaps, which is in a bad condition, it is the most yellowed thing of plastic I've ever seen in person, and the keycaps are pretty worn down, on many keys the legends have been replaced by handwritten ones...

edit: is it wrong to go off topic in an off topic thread in the off topic section of an mechanical keyboard forum, so you are on topic again?

ripster

13 Jun 2012, 19:52

I'm sure at GH and OCN it is.

Icarium

13 Jun 2012, 19:58

off wrote:
captain wrote:Y'all will appreciate this video
Since everyone just loves fake tits. :|

Still unfathomable how any girl can get to the point that they will wreck their looks with that gunk.

@ica, dungeon keeper was cool for sure; lots of fun to be had. But half-life? meh. Halfway decent gameplay with halfway decent storytelling.. Prefer 'Indigo Prophecy' even though the gameplay sucks bad at times and the story falls off a cliff.
Hm...I think the gameplay of half-life was mostly good. Which parts did you dislike?

The scene themes were lovely most of the time, I'm not a big fan of the zen part or whatever the alien world was called.

The story doesn't hold up against current games I'd say but then again I never made it through modern warfare or black ops because the story was so lame.

All-in-all it's just been fun to play many times. That's gotta count for something.

But yeah, dungeon keeper is pretty amazing.

Deus Ex, now that somebody has mentioned it was great as well. Really great!

RC-1140

13 Jun 2012, 20:43

Dungeon Keeper is great, and Deus Ex as well, but still one of my favourite games is "Thief: Dark Project". This game is simply awesome, even though the graphics can't keep up with current games, it captures you much more than most modern games. Even though I like some BF3 from time to time. Modern Warfare is much worse than BF3 imho. If I want to play an arcade style game, I play openarena...

Daniel Beaver

14 Jun 2012, 05:07

RC-1140 wrote:Dungeon Keeper is great, and Deus Ex as well, but still one of my favourite games is "Thief: Dark Project". This game is simply awesome, even though the graphics can't keep up with current games, it captures you much more than most modern games. Even though I like some BF3 from time to time. Modern Warfare is much worse than BF3 imho. If I want to play an arcade style game, I play openarena...
All the things you said are correct. Especially the part about Thief... there's no modern game quite like it.

Icarium

14 Jun 2012, 11:01

Hm..will have to try that again. Started playing it back in the day and liked it at first. Then there was a huge spider at the beginning of the second level and I just wasn't looking for fantasy and stopped. Guess I was expecting it to be more realistic or something.

RC-1140

14 Jun 2012, 11:53

Yeah, Thiefs takes place in an steampunk/fantasy world, it is even sometimes described as one of the most typical steampunk games. I really like this setting, and the atmosphere in this world, which is intensified by the engine, the so called "Dark Engine", which is used in parts 1 and 2. This engine makes the game perfect, the third game, which uses the Unreal Engine 2 isn't nearly as good.

off

14 Jun 2012, 13:03

Icarium wrote:HL1: All-in-all it's just been fun to play many times. That's gotta count for something.
I had to almost drag me through the first playthrough.. never touched it again afterwards.
MG:S otoh, played through 7 times nearly back to back, if not more.
And UT'99. How could I forget. On the brink of not being 'retro' but it sure does look dated by now!

CeeSA

14 Jun 2012, 13:06

UT - i played it from end '99 until 2006 - i founded the OrangUtanClan in 2000 http://orangutanclan.de/ with 2 other guys from Hannover:D
Starting with Modem, ISDN and DSL - crazy stuff

off

14 Jun 2012, 13:31

Sniper-rifle-semi-instagib-ffa-deathmatch was most memorable to me. Can still remember endless nights of some map with skyscrapers, pretty much pitch-black (in my room as well), with around 24 people spread out throughout that huge (for the time) map, and trying to detect any slight motion somewhere. :D

captain

15 Jun 2012, 03:43

I can't believe no one has mentioned Adventure, or rogue/hack/nethack.

Icarium

15 Jun 2012, 07:22

These are just old, not particularly good. :)

RC-1140

15 Jun 2012, 09:08

And actually I did mention Hack, I got it together with the Atari. I just never really played it yet, whenever I tried Hack on the Atari, or Nethack under Linux some years ago I suffered YASD…

Icarium

15 Jun 2012, 10:04

yasd? ah...yet another stupid death

IvanIvanovich

16 Jun 2012, 04:59

I've still got loads of images I made from all the floppy games I had collected since around 1986. I've still got an old 600mhz box with DOS on it for the many that will not run in dosbox or other vm. I still love all the old Tex Murphy, Ultima, Wizardry, Might and Magic, Zork (and pretty much anything else done by infocom), Blood... still one of my favorite fps of all time. I have just over 1000 DOS games.

Daniel Beaver

16 Jun 2012, 05:50

lysol wrote:Blood... still one of my favorite fps of all time.
Super excellent, and still a lot of fun to play. The weapons are just fantastic.

Half-Saint

16 Jun 2012, 11:08

PC: all the Police Quest games, Space Quest I-III, Leisure Suit Larry 1-3.. most of those games even worked on Hercules :)
I also played a lot of F-19, Prehistorik, Zeliard etc.

ZX Spectrum: definitely Pssst!, Gunfright, Sabre Wulf, Robin of the Wood, Jack the Nipper, Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy etc.

Amstrad CPC: Gryzor, Rambo, Kwah!, Red Hawk, Finders Keepers, Knight Tyme, Trap Door etc.

Atari ST: Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge, Super Cars 2, Rainbow Islands (!), Panza Kick Boxing, Midwinter 2

Ah the memories!

off

16 Jun 2012, 16:37

Half-Saint wrote:Prehistorik
Ah the memories!
dat spacebar..

TacticalCoder

18 Jun 2012, 13:49

Some of the games I've spent a lot of time on back in the days...

C64: Ultima III, IV and V... Bombjack, Impossible Mission, Bruce Lee, Commando, ...

Atari ST: "Sundog, frozen legacy" (that one still has a cult following today and one of its author is still getting fan emails)

Amiga: Civilization, Dungeon Master, Defender of the Crown, Turrican, SuperCars, Battle Chess, Silkworm (a bit of SWIV too), Shadow of the beast, ...

The first game that got my interest on the PC was Warcraft 2: these were the Kali days (where you'd simulate a LAN over the Internet so you could play "LAN-but-not-Internet" games with people all around the world) and the Case's ladder days (competitive ranking of Warcraft 2 / Kali players). But it probably doesn't qualifies as "retro" enough ; )

intealls

18 Jun 2012, 19:14

Lots of great, great games in this thread. My favs are Moonstone for Amiga and Ghosts 'n Goblins/Blue Max for C64.
lysol wrote:Blood... still one of my favorite fps of all time.
Hell yes. Blood is probably the most entertaining multiplayer game ever. We still play it (LAN-style, everyone in the same place) sometimes, it's just so much fun to mess around with the different explosives and the ridiculously overpowered weapons (the skull that shoots fire comes to mind).

off

19 Jun 2012, 14:45

TacticalCoder wrote:C64: Commando
intealls wrote:Ghosts 'n Goblins for C64.
Thanks for making me remember, esp Commando!

Azrael

26 Jun 2012, 11:20

Retro Gaming, hell yeah! Am totally into it. I collect lots of Retrogaming stuff from the 90s. Only play a little though, its more something for my collectors-heart. Last game I played was the Mega Drive game Columns.
Oh and lately I played thru NFS Porsche once more. Althought the graphics are obsolete, the feeling of this game never gets old. And the memories it brings back.
Funny enought, when you google NFS games on Amazon.de and choose for user ratings, the 12 year of NFS Porsche is still the best rated NFS game and there are more than 15 already!

microsoft windows

02 Jul 2012, 03:26

I've always liked old computer games. I recently got hold of an old Commodore 64 I'm getting up and running. I've fixed the console (the video was screwed up), but now I've just gotta get the floppy drives running. One's out of alignment and the other two have motherboard problems.

Return to “Off-topic”