Visiting Paris: cell phone data plan and touristy activities

litster

13 Jun 2012, 05:54

Hi all. I will be visiting Paris this summer. While I am there I would like to have Internet access on my unlocked cell phone. What is the best or cheapest way to get a pre-paid data plan in Paris for a couple of weeks?

Any suggestions or advice on touristy things to do in and around Paris?

Thanks.

cactux

13 Jun 2012, 07:00

[Account and posts deleted on request]

litster

13 Jun 2012, 09:40

what are lonely planet and Crazy Horse?

cactux

13 Jun 2012, 09:59

[Account and posts deleted on request]

Azrael

26 Jun 2012, 11:43

In Paris, from the main stuff I would suggest Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower. I know it sounds touristic, but the building is reallly astonishing, especially when you think about it that it was created more than 100 years ago. Go there in the morning when lines are still little. Nothing for douchebags though, you walk stairs for about half an hour to get up there. And you can look thru the steps ^^

Riding the metro is especially fun there, everything is very oldschool.

I definitely suggest to go to Versailles for a day, you can reach it with Metro and Bus from the center of Paris in about 45minutes. Drive to "Pont de Sevres" which is the bridge to the southern suburb called Sevres. Then take the bus and drive the few miles to Versailles. The bus stops directly in front of the Chateau.

Visit the gardens there. Its beautiful.
Then take a walk thru the old city of Versailles.

In the evening, if you want to meet new people, ask for a bar called "Kilt". Its a dark-themed bar in the middle of Versailles. Great atmosphere and you can meet a lot of international young folk there. Drink a "Mezcal" and eat a "Croque". The owner stands behind the bar, he speaks English.

Alternatively, I can suggest the "Pool Bar", which is the Bar of a Pool Billiard place. Try a fruity or creamy Cocktail and go for the "Salamon Salad".

After that, take another walk thru the quiet and dark Versailles. Walking the streets during night there, is a experience of its own.

Fun Fact: The european Blizzard Headquarters are located in Versailles as well, so its likely you meet staff which is involved in "World of Warcraft" in the Bars.

A few more things:
-The French make fair Pizza, and the think is, I dont know why, but its common to get 2 Pizzas for the price of 1 Pizza at the Pizza franchises which deliver Pizza. Just go there and order 2 Pizzas of the same sort.
- Drink Wine. Its great and totally cheap
- Speak french. Like everywhere in Europe, also many French can speak English well enough, but an overwhelming part of the french polulation doesn't want to because they think they suck at it. Learn simple things like asking for the way in french or you will be lost. Write down things like left/right forward to memorize it. I.e. you can begin a simple phrase with "Excusez-moi Madame/Monsieur. Je cherche X" (Excuse me Madam/Sir, Im looking for X).
- Bring a camara f or the pocket, but enjoy most of what you see with your own eyes instead of taking photos all day long
- Beware of the dogshit on the streets

ripster

26 Jun 2012, 16:38

You might end up having to rent a phone. You can have delivered to your hotel and drop in the lobby mail at checkout.

litster

26 Jun 2012, 17:49

Thanks Azreal for your suggestions. Will try to follow your directions,except the bars. I have kids withme :-)

Ripster, I will ask about phone rental. I am mostly looking for Internet access. I may bring my high power USB wifi receiver to see if I could catch some free wifi from my hotel.

ripster

26 Jun 2012, 18:07

Oh, you have kids in tow?

Order a Royale with Cheese. Mmmmm... That is one mighty fine burger.

litster

26 Jun 2012, 19:22

I will try not to go to a McDonald's in Paris if I can help it :-)

ripster

26 Jun 2012, 21:48

Wait until your kids try escargot and tripe before you say that!

Mmmmm - gonna go out for a burger for lunch.

Mein Burger!

itlnstln

26 Jun 2012, 21:59

Mmm... tripas tacos (obviously not French). After a scare about 10 years ago, you need a license these days to make them. Tasty, but you'd better hope it's clean.

Mmmmmm...

Djuzuh

26 Jun 2012, 22:12

litster wrote:I will try not to go to a McDonald's in Paris if I can help it :-)
McDonald in France is very different from any other McDonald anywhere. I'd suggest you to try it at least once :p.

mkawa

27 Jun 2012, 03:18

my SO did a long trip through europe for business and the cheapest thing to do ended up being to buy a roaming data package through ATT. it's like 20-50$ for the month for a fixed data budget, and you can roam anywhere in europe, eg if you chunnel across to london. voice calls are still ridiculously expensive, but the data portion was cheap, and she was able to get CS to cut off her voice service while she was there.

if you need voice, you'll have to buy a sim card there, i suspect.

ripster

27 Jun 2012, 03:39

Beware of Paris Syndrome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome

And no, Parisians do NOT hate Americans.

They are rude to EVERYBODY. It starts at the Taxi ride from the Airport and ends when you get on the plane home.

Findecanor

27 Jun 2012, 05:18

Yep. It is the Parisians fault that everyone hates the French ...
and yes, as has been said before, many of them understand English just fine, they just don't want to talk it.

litster

27 Jun 2012, 05:45

Maybe I will go to McDonald's so I can say I ate french fries in France.

ripster

27 Jun 2012, 05:49

Yes, everywhere else serves pommes frites.

Azrael

27 Jun 2012, 10:05

litster wrote:Thanks Azreal for your suggestions. Will try to follow your directions,except the bars. I have kids withme :-)
I see :)
Btw, fun fact: Disneyland Paris is in fact not in Paris. But more than 50miles away ^^
litster wrote:I will try not to go to a McDonald's in Paris if I can help it :-)
Everyone knows that McDonals sucks. No argument there.
Djuzuh wrote:
McDonald in France is very different from any other McDonald anywhere. I'd suggest you to try it at least once :p.
I do not agree. I think I can claim to have a good comparison since I have eaten both at french and american McDonalds' , in addition to the German ones.
I would say the best McDonalds Burger I ever had was in America, the one made of this special Beef which begins with "A", I forgot what its called. But still, the burgers are not very good. In Germany they suck. And in France its not really better.

Djuzuh, what do you prefer on the French McDonalds burgers?
ripster wrote:Yes, everywhere else serves pommes frites.

what is this obsession with fries? pommes frittes and fries are the same!

Djuzuh

27 Jun 2012, 11:05

I saw the reportage

"McDo : une passion française"

I have nothing else to base myself on.

Findecanor

27 Jun 2012, 12:23

So called "French fries" were invented in Belgium, btw.
The train to Disneyland Paris is still a commuter train, it is not like it is in a different city.

ripster

27 Jun 2012, 15:57

what is this obsession with fries? pommes frittes and fries are the same
True, but in America the are sometimes called Freedom Fries by Republicans.

Frankly I have moved on to an American Invention: Tator Tots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tater_Tots

Spicy ones with beer is a revelation!
Last edited by ripster on 27 Jun 2012, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.

itlnstln

27 Jun 2012, 18:23

Freedom Fries... The freedom to be fat.

On a nicer note, there is a nearby Belgian restaurant, LaFritte, with phenomenal food, especially their pommes frittes. Steak Au Poivre with pommes frittes is awesome.

ripster

27 Jun 2012, 18:26

I have two furriner french fry food carts nearby.

One Belgian with all the yummy mayo sauces.

Another Canadian with the poutine cheese curds and gravy that will give you a heart attack at 30.

No beer though.

Azrael

28 Jun 2012, 16:55

ripster. it looks delicious...in a I-know-Im-gonna-regret-eating-it-but-I-cant-help-it-because-its-so-tasty sort of way ^^

ripster

28 Jun 2012, 17:14

In the USA they serve this stuff to Skinny Hipsters in tight black jeans.

Ironic.

Return to “Off-topic”