Writing instruments

bhtooefr

14 Sep 2012, 15:08

I think this has actually been done a while back on that other input device forum, but thought I'd start a thread over here.

What writing instruments do you use?

Myself, I tend towards fountain pens.

Decided to try fountain pens after reading some about them, picked up a pack of Pilot Varsity disposables... the quality was all over the place. Most I tried were awfully scratchy, and inconsistent with ink flow. They are refillable if you get a good one, though, and I hear that some people actually bother to tune the nibs.

So, then, I decided to get something nicer... think I picked up a Waterford, took it back almost right away because it just POURED the ink onto the page. WAY too broad.

That's when I got myself a Lamy Al-Star. That was a nice pen, quite durable (even took a direct nib hit and worked perfectly afterwards, something that kills many "nicer" pens), although the converter is tiny. Annoyingly, I lost the damn thing at a job interview.

Ended up getting another (with a fine nib), along with a bottle of Private Reserve Blue Suede ink. That one was scratchier (fine nibs will do that, but it was the PR Blue Suede ink IMO that was the problem), and I lost THAT one too after a few months. It's probably still floating around my desk at work somewhere...

Then, I found the Bic disposable fountain pens. Unfortunately, they're not refillable, and the caps aren't durable, but they write fairly nicely - a bit scratchy, and consistent. Fairly fine nib, especially considering Bic calls it a "medium" nib.

Still, decided I wanted something better, so I just picked up another Al-Star (this one in "graphite", rather than the (fairly muted) green that's now no longer available) with a fine nib. This time got a bottle of Noodler's Squeteague ink (similar color to Blue Suede, but with a bit more green in it, and a bit darker, and MUCH more nib lubrication. I had run a sample through my first Al-Star, and liked it a lot), and it runs much better than the PR Blue Suede in the fine nib, too. Quite smooth. And, the ergonomics of the pen are just as good as I remember them. Not bad, and it's just $36. :)

woody
Count Troller

14 Sep 2012, 21:03

I have once expressed my positive opinion on Lamy on that other forum. Not on fountain pens, though, never had one. And is their quality declining as just about everything else in the world now?

Mostly using Faber-Castell Grip 1345 (0.5) pencil. Serves me right for many years already.
http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Faber- ... encil.html

Few random disposable gel and ink pens for the few moments when graphite pencil won't do.

win

14 Sep 2012, 22:29

Space pens are supposed to be good. I haven't tried one yet, but I'm thinking about getting one of their bullet pens. I also like Lamy refills.

bhtooefr

14 Sep 2012, 22:31

Their quality seems just as good as it was when I got my first Al-Star ~5 years ago, so I'd say no.

Although, I'm finding that the Noodler's Squeteague is NOT a good ink for the ultra-cheap papers. Feathers horribly, you can watch it spread out, and it bleeds through a bit. But, ordinary copier paper works fine, it seems.

As far as space pens, I'm not a fan of them. They just feel... weird, how the ball rolls.

nathanscribe

14 Sep 2012, 23:25

I've been using the same Rotring Tikky since about 1987 or '88 (the white one in the pic - "W. Germany" on the clip) - it's battered, the eraser's long gone, its cover is made of dents, the clip is loose, the printing has all worn off, the nib has been bent and straightened more times than I can count - but it works perfectly, always has, and I'll use it till it doesn't.

I recently-ish picked up a few other mechanical pencils and keep them dotted around the place - but the old Ticky v.1 is my main scribbler. I've used HB leads forever; it's a 0.5mm.

Pens? Not really fussed. I use whatever's around. A plain old cheap biro does for me.

Of course, what you really want is a Bic For Her. The reviews tell the story.

RC-1140

16 Sep 2012, 01:01

I nearly only write by hand at school. Therefore I use a stainless steel Lamy Studio 65 Fountain Pen, and for drawings I use a Faber Castell Grip 0.5. When I need a ballpen, I use either a stainless steel Lamy Logo or a Lamy Tri Pen, depending on the color I need. Everything else I use is just cheap stuff, bought at a local discounter.

woody
Count Troller

16 Sep 2012, 11:53

bhtooefr wrote: ... (Lamy) ... Their quality seems just as good as it was when I got my first Al-Star ~5 years ago, so I'd say no.
Hmm. Few years ago I returned two of four Lamy Twin pens. They were titanium plated and had bad quality of the finish.
After that decided to stay away from the expensive Lamy stuff. Still grumpy about it, as the Twin pen was ideal for me.

longweight
key-bored

16 Sep 2012, 21:01

Fountain pens all the way! Here is my Mont Blanc:

GMC

30 Sep 2012, 14:42

I have a vintage Parker fountain pen I use most days. It's a blue diamond duofold junior vacumatic from the 1940's. In beautiful condition. Might have to try and track down a senior edition.

Also use a Tombo rollerball that I bought in japan a few years back but can't get refills over here :cry: Bought every refill in the shop last time I was in Kyoto and down to just one spare now.

I've never found a mech pencil that I found really comfortable but still searching...

Edit:
I'd love one of these though.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370538100119? ... 663wt_1163

longweight
key-bored

28 Jan 2013, 22:13

Does anyone here collect or own any Mont Blanc ink?

Return to “Off-topic”