SΛMSUNG S4
17%
Sony Xperia Z (IP57)
11%

Total votes: 47

tinnie

11 Jun 2013, 13:30

Why no one recommend blackberry?

I own a blackberry 9900 at the moment. I'll get a new Q10 soon. It got everything you need. It got a micro SD slot, it got a removable battery, it is strong, it is made in the EU (hungary), Mexico or Canada! andddd.... IT GOT A PHYSICAL KEYBOARD!!!!!

CeeSA

11 Jun 2013, 13:36

I did - or better: I advised him.

Peter

11 Jun 2013, 13:52

7bit wrote:How is that done:
"Galaxy S3 and install a custom Rom to get rid of the Samsung Crapware"
:?
Start here :
http://www.xda-developers.com/
Find the forum for your phone-model and chose a ROM ..
(Read the instructions !)

Rooting your phone allows you to install a working ad-blocker !
That alone is reason enough for me to do it :)

rindorbrot

11 Jun 2013, 14:15

HTC One has no MICRO SD by the way ;-)
And don't confuse the htc one "google edition" with the htc nexus one. That are totally different phones.

7bit

11 Jun 2013, 15:07

Peter wrote:Start here :
http://www.xda-developers.com/
Thanks for the link!
:-)

7bit

11 Jun 2013, 18:06

OK, now I know how to put the right software into place, but I still don't know which hardware I should take.

Here are the new priorities:

:-) This root-worm thing should work with the smartphone and there still should be a flash card slot.

:-) Manufacturer should accept the installation of software without warranty issues.

:o

dirge

11 Jun 2013, 18:49

Someone with a Belgium phone etc on his desk never thought you'd be into smartphones...

ne0phyte
Toast.

11 Jun 2013, 18:52

7bit wrote: :-) This root-worm thing should work with the smartphone and there still should be a flash card slot.

:-) Manufacturer should accept the installation of software without warranty issues.
No manufacturer allows you to do that except for the microsd-slot-less nexus devices.

Acanthophis

11 Jun 2013, 22:52

You can always flash back ;)

Julle

11 Jun 2013, 23:05

Taking into account that the top three smartphone OS manufacturers - Google, Apple and Microsoft - are heavily involved in a worldwide spying scandal ('scandal' being the underestimation of the year), I would completely abandon the concept of a smartphone.

mintberryminuscrunch

11 Jun 2013, 23:18

Julle wrote:Taking into account that the top three smartphone OS manufacturers - Google, Apple and Microsoft - are heavily involved in a worldwide spying scandal ('scandal' being the underestimation of the year), I would completely abandon the concept of a smartphone.
firefox phone
or
http://www.fairphone.com/ (dual sim, micro sd, ....)
and less waiting time than round 4
Last edited by mintberryminuscrunch on 11 Jun 2013, 23:21, edited 2 times in total.

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Jun 2013, 23:19

I agree. The top three are fascist companies, it's silly really to give them our money. So Mozilla mobile OS then?

7bit

11 Jun 2013, 23:26

As far as I know they don't manufacture anything (except Apple).

Google is not fascist, but they collect data to improve the search engine. This is a good thing as long as they only collect the data from the others. From me? Nope! I will install another system.
:P
mintberryminuscrunch wrote:...
http://www.fairphone.com/ (dual sim, micro sd, ....)
and less waiting time than round 4
Is that a webdesign test or the Truly Ergonimic of smart phones?
:roll:

The questions still remains: which hardware?

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Jun 2013, 23:33

Google has a small army of lobbyists to argue that privacy isn't that important, in order to make our data more desirable as a product to their customers. And they get what they want in exchange for certain liberties for the NSA.

7bit

11 Jun 2013, 23:37

I suggest we should add sarcasm-tags, as not every of our members has the sarcasm-autodetect-app installed.
:evilgeek:

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Jun 2013, 23:43

In 7 bit mode there's no room for sarcasm or educational tags.

7bit

11 Jun 2013, 23:47

Maybe I should abandon the idea of a smart phone and get a Dick Tracy wrist radio instead:
:ugeek:

webwit
Wild Duck

12 Jun 2013, 00:01

Personally, I feel that if the people ever take their privacy back (which I doubt), the solution will not be the use of open software. Because hiding is the same as flagging yourself, and doesn't hurt them a bit if you have no bad intentions, while criminals are waving them a flag. Better would be the haystack and the needle approach. They want our data, they should get it. Get some millions of people to run a background task which triggers all the triggers, such as searching on certain keyboards or chat containing certain keyboards or visiting certain websites. Dig through that, suckers. To deal with a fascist spying bureaucracy is to suffocate them with so much data, that nothing can be found.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

12 Jun 2013, 02:00

I recommend a Motorola Tundra. Yes, I know this isn't a smartphone, but I used mine for over three years before I finally succumbed to the Iphone. I would drop the thing on concrete surfaces and it worked perfectly. And the only reason I succumbed to Apple was because my dad got a new phone and I snagged his old Iphone. Love live the flip phone!

rknize

12 Jun 2013, 04:44

7bit wrote:The questions still remains: which hardware?
Perhaps something along the left hand side?

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

12 Jun 2013, 17:26

rknize wrote:
7bit wrote:The questions still remains: which hardware?
Perhaps something along the left hand side?

Rob a cell phone store recently?

Peter

12 Jun 2013, 18:47

ALL 'Multi-National Corporations' are 'fascists' !
Doesn't matter if you buy your phone-hardware from 'Fascist A' or 'Fascist B',
as long as you can 'root' it, you can be a bit more in control .

I would chose the best deal on the one with the best screen (highest resolution),
best antenna-performance + SD-card and all the other requirements,
capable of running a good custom-ROM from that website .
Samsung and HTC both make OK phones, just buy the best deal your budget allows ..

rknize

12 Jun 2013, 19:37

prdlm2009 wrote:Rob a cell phone store recently?
From my box of phones that weren't cancelled. Sadly, the other box was bigger. :cry:

Muirium
µ

12 Jun 2013, 19:43

Ah, flip phones. Back when Star Trek Communicators were "finally real".

7bit

12 Jun 2013, 20:24

What do you mean "finally real"? As far as I know they never made something which comes close to the real thing. Should I be wrong, let me know and I buy it!
:ugeek:

ne0phyte
Toast.

12 Jun 2013, 20:29

Well there is this thing
Those were internal prototypes made by Nokia which were fully functional and only 14 of them exist. Skip to minute 3:00

7bit

12 Jun 2013, 20:50

ne0phyte wrote:Well there is this thing
[BLACK RECTANGLE SHOWING NOTHING]

Those were internal prototypes made by Nokia which were fully functional and only 14 of them exist. Skip to minute 3:00
I hate Nokia!

I hate our government and (if I recall correctly) the Romanian government for not getting every single cent back from these assholes!*

*) They got money to get the production running and after one year they closed it. They did it twice in 2 different EU states.
:evil:

ps: In Germany we call this Subventionsbetrug, but there are exceptions made by certain politicans for certain firms ...

Maybe I should just stick to Telephones made of metal or bakelit with a real dial and a real bell.
:roll:

ne0phyte
Toast.

12 Jun 2013, 21:00

[BLACK RECTANGLE SHOWING NOTHING]
Just open this with VLC http://youtube.com/watch?v=pUeQJXznCtY ...

7bit

12 Jun 2013, 21:26

Star Trek Communicators are old!

Dick Tracy's wrist radio is much more advanced!

I think I will either get a Sλmsung or an LG or I wait for that fairphone ...

Halvar

12 Jun 2013, 22:03

This autumn some "open" phones are expected to arrive. I might buy one of them then. If you want one now, that's not an option of course.

- The first "fairphone" ( http://www.fairphone.com/ ). This will feature a removable battery, a smartcart slot and dual SIMs, be rootable and run Android. And it's supposed to be somehow a bit "fair", too, as in fair-trade. More on their website. No NFC though.

- Jolla's "sailfish" phone. ( http://jolla.com/ ) That's a linux phone, more specifically it uses their "Sailfish" OS that's based on Meego. This small Finnish company was founded by some people who left Nokia when Nokia went fully Windows Mobile with their smartphones. Long story. I have no idea if they are capable of anything at all. I have some doubts. With Firefox and Ubuntu making new smartphone OSes, Jolla could just be one player too much. Anyway their hardware seems interesting to me, but it's definitely a high end phone and will be quite expensive.

- Firefox OS Phones. Surprisingly, this is financed very much by big providers like Telekom, Vodafone, etc., and they might have their own plans about customizing and branding. I'm afraid that in the end Firefox OS phones could be the least open of them all. Developed for the low-end market, but some middle class/higher end hardware is also planned afaik.

- Ubuntu Phones. The Ubuntu Phone OS is more or less an Android Kernel plus a special version of Ubuntu's own Unity GUI. I don't know much about which hardware this will be sold on, but Ubuntu has done great things in the past, so I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of this.

Return to “Off-topic”