New PC in retro enclosure

7bit

11 Dec 2013, 09:49

Findecanor wrote:...
There is something very special with the SGI machines in general. I always get very giddy when I see one. For years during the '90s .. when they were cool .., every encounter I had with an SGI machine was a near-religious experience.. Back when Computer Graphics was something magic.
This is why I said --->"DEFECT"<--- :mad:

cookie

11 Dec 2013, 12:48

Broadmonkey wrote:Like this?
Spoiler:
Just google Steam Machine to find more pics of it.
It's Valves new box of hardware, which they will sell with their new Steam OS. It's minded as a living room PC that will run their own operation system, so it's easier to navigate with the controller. Basically you could use any PC.
But I think they have done their homework with it since it uses stock components arranged in a clever way, and it's even in a very good looking box.
Looks nice but for my taste a bit too futuristic. The cleaner, the better :)

Findecanor

11 Dec 2013, 13:56

I wonder how feasible it would be to remake the front of a 5 1/4" disk drive into the front of a slot-loading optical drive. I don't have any 5 1/4" drive around to compare dimensions against ...
7bit wrote:This is why I said --->"DEFECT"<--- :mad:
I can't hear what you say in front of your computer screen. I am not even near Berlin. :roll: :P

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Dec 2013, 14:26

Findecanor wrote:I wonder how feasible it would be to remake the front of a 5 1/4" disk drive into the front of a slot-loading optical drive. I don't have any 5 1/4" drive around to compare dimensions against ...
sure, why not. size-wise it should work.

kint

11 Dec 2013, 15:28

matt3o wrote:
Findecanor wrote:I wonder how feasible it would be to remake the front of a 5 1/4" disk drive into the front of a slot-loading optical drive. I don't have any 5 1/4" drive around to compare dimensions against ...
sure, why not. size-wise it should work.
As said above I stealth'd an optical drive with the cover of a floppy drive. It is feasible to use a slot loading ODD, discs go into the floppy slot without a problem. Only difficulty is to place the ODD exact behind the bezel. The recess and closing lever of the floppy drive enable you to grab the discs nicely when they come out of the bezel. I choosed a tray ODD nevertheless because of the bigger choice of the drives and because I dislike you'll always leave fingerprints on discs used in slot loading drives. And because you'll waist the space of the full size unit anyway when using the floppy bezel. :)

IvanIvanovich

11 Dec 2013, 18:49

Some of those old external 5.25 floppy drives the enclosure is big enough to fit itx complete system inside but without any add on cards of course. I made one with some model of a Commodore some years ago. Just a basic htpc/dvd player system.

Recently I've been looking for a dead Apple Profile for 'cheap' to do something similar. I like that since the back is largely open so nice and clean to make new backplane that fits in the existing openings than having to hack things up. Should be easy to keep the original looks with very little effort.

pasph

24 Dec 2013, 22:08

wheybags

25 Dec 2013, 01:41

wow, was literally scrolling through this thread thinking about posting that :D

tinnie

25 Dec 2013, 06:05

What about olivetti pc s86/286 or m24?

P.S. Or even a dolch pac? ;)

Compgeke

25 Dec 2013, 10:47

M24? The keyboard on those are fucking horrible, I have two PC-6300s (rebadged M24) and neither of the keyboards work. They feel like crap anyways.

But the case isn't going to get you anywhere as the motherboard is bottom mounted upside down with only expansion slots on top, with no room for anything modern if you did a swap. An ITX board might fit on top but you'll need to do a lot of cutting.

Floating.Point

25 Dec 2013, 12:36

I'm a huge fan of Case Labs cases. Do you know of these guys? Perhaps not quite the look you are going for with this build. But they do have a kind of retro aesthetic; or at least a built-to-last one, not too dissimilar to the cases or yesteryear. But in terms of quality, modularity and serviceability, they can't be beat. Definitely worth looking at when thinking about any new case IMO. I own the M8 and can testify to their awesomeness. Building in these things is a delight!
Spoiler:
Here is their smallest case, the Mercury S3. Image
And here it is again with the outer panels removed. Sexy.
and finally, with GPU

But they also make other sizes as well… here is their biggest case. It's actually a double case for up to 2x HPTX motherboards. Yep, its ridiculous.

Muirium
µ

25 Dec 2013, 13:28

Yeah, that's the good stuff if you want to take it easy.

I have a broken Power Mac G4 (the mirror drive door / late / shiny model) which is plenty big enough to mod as you like. My brother's G5 is in the same state after its liquid cooling failed. Old PowerPC Macs are dirt cheap or often free these days even when they are still working. Apple left them obsolete many years ago. Yet they still look nice, of course.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Dec 2013, 15:04

Floating.Point wrote:I'm a huge fan of Case Labs cases. Do you know of these guys? Perhaps not quite the look you are going for with this build. But they do have a kind of retro aesthetic; or at least a built-to-last one, not too dissimilar to the cases or yesteryear. But in terms of quality, modularity and serviceability, they can't be beat. Definitely worth looking at when thinking about any new case IMO. I own the M8 and can testify to their awesomeness. Building in these things is a delight!
Spoiler:
Here is their smallest case, the Mercury S3. Image
And here it is again with the outer panels removed. Sexy.
and finally, with GPU

But they also make other sizes as well… here is their biggest case. It's actually a double case for up to 2x HPTX motherboards. Yep, its ridiculous.
those are really nice case actually. wondering if they can be found over here.
Muirium wrote:Yeah, that's the good stuff if you want to take it easy.

I have a broken Power Mac G4 (the mirror drive door / late / shiny model) which is plenty big enough to mod as you like. My brother's G5 is in the same state after its liquid cooling failed. Old PowerPC Macs are dirt cheap or often free these days even when they are still working. Apple left them obsolete many years ago. Yet they still look nice, of course.
I've seen very nice builds with the G3 and G4. Very tempted by those cases, but they are not exceptional for air flow.

Half-Saint

26 Dec 2013, 22:22

Lol, I guess they don't sell many of those dual-HPTX cases.. and the case alone probably costs more than the entire system that it's supposed to house :P don't see much point in any of it.

Return to “Off-topic”