Nobel prize winner is boycotting top journals in his area

lcs

10 Dec 2013, 15:48

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013 ... CMP=twt_fd

Easier when you already have a Nobel prize XD

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Dec 2013, 19:05

Everyone gets one of those. My dog has a nobel peace prize.

Muirium
µ

10 Dec 2013, 19:09

I had to laugh when I heard Obama got one shortly after being elected American President. He hadn't done anything yet! I guess the idea was to honour Martin Luther King's legacy, but with the speed it came, it felt a bit like an award for being anyone but George W.

7bit

10 Dec 2013, 19:18

Why not release everything in the web?

Seriously, we have 2013 and don't want to walk into the library to dig out the latest sci-fy papers!

lcs

10 Dec 2013, 19:52

7bit wrote:Why not release everything in the web?

Seriously, we have 2013 and don't want to walk into the library to dig out the latest sci-fy papers!
I believe the problem is the peer-reviewing aspect.

For instance, we have arxiv for 'exact sciences' papers, but which ones are actually good?

Daniel

10 Dec 2013, 20:26

In my opinion it should be mandatory to publish every result / paper which comes from a publicly funded research project under a bsd style license. And make it freely available.
This of course doesn't hinder anyone to publish it in journal as well.

lcs

10 Dec 2013, 20:32

Yes, but then journals would not want to publish. They make a *lot* of money. The system is all wrong. :(

Halvar

10 Dec 2013, 20:49

As I understand, Dr Schekman's point has in fact not a lot to do with the open access movement. What he says is that these journals basically pick their articles too much by popularity instead of scientific value.

JBert

11 Dec 2013, 09:24

webwit wrote:Everyone gets one of those. My dog has a nobel peace prize.
But does it have a Nobel prize in physiology or medicine? Because that's what the man in question has been awarded, contrary to some early reports.

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Dec 2013, 12:48

Who cares? The Nobel prize is corrupted and kaput. They did it all to themselves.

7bit

11 Dec 2013, 13:25

I bet your dog got the Nobel prize for promising to stop biting at children, within the next 4 years, or so.

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Dec 2013, 13:35

He got it for killing other dogs, which he does when he suspects there is a bad dog in the vicinity. He's a peacemaker.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/mid ... story.html

7bit

13 Dec 2013, 14:05

Ah, I see. Killing the 13, for one and all times, should be worth a Nobel price.

Muirium
µ

13 Dec 2013, 14:13

"Pre-emptive Peacemaking." They changed the name after Bush and Blair gave "Liberal Interventionism" a bad rep.

adhoc

23 Dec 2013, 08:32

This is why I left academics to work for the industry. It's just bullshit which is paid worse on top of it.

Return to “Off-topic”