Favorite (Linux) software?

amospalla
let's go

13 Jun 2014, 20:37

The list could be infinite, but let's put some!

Absolutely necesary: vim (with vimoutliner or vimwiki), tmux, bash, i3(or awesome), rxvt-unicode, firefox+vimperator, zathura, weechat, keepassx, parcellite, terminus font, gmrun.

Nice: vimpc, cdw, ncdu, pastebinit/wgetpaste.

Comments: mosh is great, but having to open udp ports without option to set them makes it imposible to use with nat with several hosts.

wheybags

14 Jun 2014, 01:14

Yeah, I know part of the "whole point" was to avoid this, but it would be nice to have a moshd that runs on one port for all connections.

Vierax

14 Jun 2014, 02:58

What I use (GUI should change if I finally try i3 Windows Manager)

Graphism :
Gimp
Inkscape
Krita, created for digital painting but has more features than Gimp (like native CMJK support)
Scribus, more advanced for printing document than LibreOffice Writer despite the difficulty to import opendocument files :(

Internet :
Firefox (Iceweasel for my Debian) with Addblock and Ghostery extensions
Fillezilla
qTransmission (because I like dark themes and Transmission in GTK3 stays light in my Xfce session)
Thunderbird (Icedove for Debian), great to follow mailing lists
Xchat, not the best IRC client but runs fine
wget, because sometimes you don't want to open your browser just to download from a known location
traceroute, to know where the problem comes from when you can't access a specific URL

Multimedia :
Audacious, because I like the Winamp Classic look
VLC, insanely complete !
Gnome Subtitle, nearly professional subtitle editor I used to fansub

Games :
The Battle Of Westnoth, if I have to name only one free open sourced game
Vegastrike, too vast universe and systems but the physic is wonderful
Thomas was Alone, not a free game but very refreshing
… I stop here because there is plenty of cool games running on Linux

system/security :
Htop, it adds colours to the good ol' top
Gkrellm, shows you graphs and other informations to monitor your computer. A bit long to set up but when it's done it's done. I never figure how to configure properly the famous Conky.
rkhunter, looks for rootkits (add a rule into cron or anacron)
lynis, to check potential vulnerabilities into your OS
diskscan, it read all blocks of your HDD and shows you a graph with the speed it takes. Usefull to check if there is no prefailure
chkfs (or e2fsck for Ext2,3,4)
smxi, it's a script from CrunchBang helping maintenance, works on every Debian based distros

Unisson, easy to use data synchroniser for example to save files in an external drive.

I don't use vim or emacs because I'm not a programmer and I don't need advanced features that much : leafpad and nano are enough to me.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Jun 2014, 09:02

In games Eschalon trilogy! Not free/open source but very well done.

ne0phyte
Toast.

14 Jun 2014, 12:24

Chrishas wrote:dwb browser
vim
Nice, another lightweight browser to try. So far I tested xombrero, uzbl, luakit and surf.
I used luakit for a few weeks but somehow went back to chromium.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

14 Jun 2014, 16:24

suckless-tools - mostly dmenu and slock. best application launcher and session locker i have ever used :)
zsh is pretty cool. mostly it's just neat, i can live with bash no problem, but i'm testing it out on my work machine.
i'll probably switch from chromium to dwb or uzbl for my 'personal' browser. i "need" firefox for a webapp at work.
my work machine is pretty basic - right now i don't even have a bar. i'm gonna figure out a tray because a specific program i need for work REALLY likes having a spot in the tray, but i dont need a window list and my clock is in the terminal at the bottom of my tmux sessions.

xauser

15 Jun 2014, 13:01

vim, mutt, perl, gcc, g++, python, php, make, lftp, screen, tmux, schroot, truecrypt (?), urxvt, less, htop, bmon, git, aptitude, exim, proftpd, owncloud, tcpdump, awesome, nzbget, openvpn, axel, mplayer, vlc, vdr, xbmc, nodm, slim, man, bash, df, du, mount, grep, find, ls, ssh, apache, tail, head, dovecot

In one word: Debian

Hypersphere

15 Jun 2014, 16:01

xauser wrote:vim, mutt, perl, gcc, g++, python, php, make, lftp, screen, tmux, schroot, truecrypt (?), urxvt, less, htop, bmon, git, aptitude, exim, proftpd, owncloud, tcpdump, awesome, nzbget, openvpn, axel, mplayer, vlc, vdr, xbmc, nodm, slim, man, bash, df, du, mount, grep, find, ls, ssh, apache, tail, head, dovecot

In one word: Debian
Yep, I suppose Debian is like Abraham -- father of a multitude. There would be no Ubuntu and its derivatives w/o Debian.

davkol

15 Jun 2014, 17:45

pandoc and gitit. WTF is that? Well, pandoc is yet another implementation of Markdown (the best markup language ever), except it supports extras like definition lists or LaTeX formulas, and it can convert the Markup document to a HTML/JS presentation, LaTeX source and a ton of other formats. Now, gitit is a wiki... that uses pandoc for markup/export and git for its data storage. What could be better than that, huh? And it's written in Haskell! The best thing ever since sliced bread!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Jun 2014, 17:51

I thought pandoc was a converter.

btw, debian is too open source strict for desktop imho. at that point maybe better to get the ubuntu minimal and build your system from there.

pietergen

15 Jun 2014, 18:27

Infinality

It drastically improves font rendering in any Linux distribution, to match & surpass the rendering in OSX and Ubuntu. Readhere how it works and what it does. Hereis the website and blog itself.

Since I've installed Infinality on my home computer, my work's PC (Windows7) makes my eyes bleed. Windows rendering is overly skinny and the antialiassing is mediocre. OSX rendering is better, yet can be too fat. Ubuntu has a nice OSXy rendering, but lacks flexibility. Infinality sits nicely in between and is endlessly adaptable. (Say, you want different rendering for font Y in application Z, but only for italics, unless the size is between 8 and 16 points? You can do that! ... :shock: )

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Jun 2014, 18:29

infinality has some bugs with font rendering in gimp (at least for me). I had to remove it. Also development seems stagnating by now.

davkol

15 Jun 2014, 19:05

Other than pandoc/gitit, I use
  • Redshift (turns colors into red, instead of blue; it's free, unlike f.lux),
  • Geeqie (the fastest RAW photo viewer I know),
  • Pidgin (thanks to superb MUC support),
  • sdcv (StarDict-compatible command-line dictionary app, excellent combo with Yakuake),
  • Audacious (killer features: stop after current track (Ctrl+M) and the Bauer Stereophonic2Binaural effect),
  • GUVCViewer (the best GNU/Linux webcam recording app by far, although it looks like crap and has plenty of bugs),
  • KTeaTime (no kidding),
  • Wuala (the lesser evil, when it comes to proprietary data storage),
  • Meld (visual directory comparison, but easy to use, even though it sucks for copying large files),
  • KTouch (yet another touch-typing tutor, but it has an excellent built-in layout editor),
  • Roccat GNU/Linux drivers by Stefan Achatz (yup, they're great),
  • Xournal (helps me take notes or draw schemes on my Tablet PC).

wheybags

16 Jun 2014, 01:31

davkol wrote: Wuala (the lesser evil, when it comes to proprietary data storage),
What's wrong with dropbox?

webwit
Wild Duck

16 Jun 2014, 01:32

Muirium
µ

16 Jun 2014, 01:39

I like to imagine Condie is personally rummaging right through my Dropbox, if you know what I mean…

Hypersphere

16 Jun 2014, 01:59

I once thought all was well with Dropbox, because I stored my important files in a TrueCrypt volume....

davkol

16 Jun 2014, 15:51

wheybags wrote:
davkol wrote: Wuala (the lesser evil, when it comes to proprietary data storage),
What's wrong with dropbox?
Indirect answer: why is Wuala better?
  • It's run by an European company. The EU appears to be more concerned about consumer rights and privacy in particular (despite e.g. INDECT) and I have potentially at least some impact on the European politics, personally. OTOH Dropbox is strictly 'murrican.
  • Strong client-side data encryption. Although it's proprietary and the ToS guarantee the company rights to make unannounced changes (i.e. include backdoors), still better than nothing.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 Jun 2014, 15:54

rsync.net is all I need.

Julle

17 Jun 2014, 17:09

I'm going to hijack this thread for a bit: Is there a way to get a program version number from Sourceforge servers? If there is a way to do this, can I compare the obtained version number to a local copy's version with a bash script?

I've gone through Sourceforge help documentation, and found nothing useful.

EDIT: To think of it, MD5 hashes might be the way.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Jun 2014, 18:28

I love to find uber useful softwares I didn't know before.

Today it's "Meld". Really great GUI for diff. I usually do from terminal but I had to compare directories with a lot of files and it totally saved my life.

quantalume

18 Jun 2014, 20:16

Hercules + x3270 (IBM mainframe emulation)
Kate (KDE advanced text editor)

Hypersphere

18 Jun 2014, 20:20

quantalume wrote:Hercules + x3270 (IBM mainframe emulation)
Kate (KDE advanced text editor)
Until a few months ago I was running KDE on my desktops, and I like Kate as a text editor. However, recently I switched to the Mint implementation of Xfce, and I am now using gedit. However, when I am working from the terminal, I use nano.

davkol

18 Jun 2014, 21:26

matt3o wrote:Today it's "Meld". Really great GUI for diff. I usually do from terminal but I had to compare directories with a lot of files and it totally saved my life.
You might want to check out FreeFileSync (can't merge files, but makes syncing directories quite idiot-proof) or KDiff3 (the same thing as Meld, but more powerful, less intuitive though).

Daniel

18 Jun 2014, 21:34

matt3o wrote:I love to find uber useful softwares I didn't know before.

Today it's "Meld". Really great GUI for diff. I usually do from terminal but I had to compare directories with a lot of files and it totally saved my life.

Code: Select all

[diff]
    tool = meld
[difftool]
    prompt=false

Put this in your .gitconfig and you can use meld directly from git with $> git difftool ...

Works with mergtool as well:

Code: Select all

[merge]
    tool = meld
[mergetool]
    prompt = false

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Jun 2014, 00:15

Another feature I couldn't live without is Nautilus scripts. I pretty much hate nautilus, but the ability to run arbitrary scripts on any file is fantastic. I have a script to resize images and push them automatically to a server, one that converts SVG to PNG, another that converts any image to jpg stripping meta tags, another that removes trailing spaces from text files... and so.

@thanks Daniel for the pro tip

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

24 Jun 2014, 08:41

Vim
Comix (how else could I read my comics and BD's :D )
Transmission
Mplayer
autofs
Amarok
Not Open Source but I like it : Opera Browser

cookie

24 Jun 2014, 16:08

After watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04gKiTiRlq8
I must say that I am really tempted to learn sublime!!!

lally

08 Jul 2014, 06:24

This got pretty simple over time.

Emacs (I considered vim, but org-mode pushed me over) with 1+ instances running as daemons
chrome
konsole
tmux
git (I never really got into magit)
xmonad / xmobar
zsh
build tools (g++, ninja, ghc, cabal, grunt)

And surprisingly little else. Occasionally some inkscape, R, blender, and latex. inkscape is fantastic with (pdf)latex.

Uncleleech

08 Jul 2014, 14:19

I keep getting called a noob for this but I really like nano for simple text editing. I see the plusses of Vim and all of that but for just changing one link of a config I really like nano.

I also enjoy the youtube-dl terminal app.

Return to “Off-topic”