Sad News In Norway

ripster

24 Jul 2011, 20:02

Small island. 1 Gunman. No police. Bad.

I'm glad it wasn't a Muslim though. Hopefully this will inspire the EU to get the Right Wing neonazis under control.

Minskleip

24 Jul 2011, 22:51

He wasn't nazi, he was freemason. Get them jews under control, America.

Findecanor

25 Jul 2011, 00:38

The killer is a right-wing "Christian" fundamentalist. (I put "Christian" in quotes, because mass-murder is not a Christian thing to do in my view). Newspapers have received a manifest where he lashes out against immigration, Islam and the labour party government which he considers to be marxist. A lot of it is a direct copy of the Unabomber's old manifest, only with the targets replaced with others.

Moments before he started killing people on the island, the killer had a car bomb go off in the government district in central Oslo. The bomb blew a hole into the prime minister's office, but he was not there. Most victims of the bomb were probably just regular people on the street outside going about their business. I know I walked past the bomb site several times when I visited Oslo last year, only because it is right in the middle of Oslo. Many Norwegians know that place.

The killer showed up on the island in a police uniform, tricking people to trust in him. He told them that he had important info about the bomb in Oslo and asked people to gather around. When there were enough people, he started shooting them off one by one, using dum-dum bullets that do the most damage. It is just so horrible...
There was actually a policeman among the victims on the island: he was working there as a guard on his free time.
The police did manage to go to the island and apprehend the killer within a few hours.

Edit: The death toll has been updated. It was too high before.
68 confirmed dead on the island and 8 dead from the bomb. Many wounded. Some are missing from the island, presumed having tried to swim away and drowned.
Last edited by Findecanor on 25 Jul 2011, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

The Solutor

25 Jul 2011, 00:55

Sad to see on GH a three page thread about Amy Winehouse and no word about this mass killing.

Are the US citizen too used to this kind of "one man made" mass murders ?

ripster

25 Jul 2011, 06:03

Please stay on topic. This is not about Amy Winehouse.

mintberryminuscrunch

25 Jul 2011, 10:26

It's understandable that theres not much about this on geekhack and deskthority. Bouth sites are about fun stuff etc. If I want to talk about politics and tragic news I visit a news site. Besides, I try not to discuss political stuff on the net since there is no point to it. Noone considers both sides, they just keep on repeting the same nonsense over and over untill someone starts calling the other side nazis and the thread is closed.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

Findecanor

25 Jul 2011, 11:39

Yeah, but what happened was so spectacular and has touched so many people, especially in Norway where many people have connections to the places where it happened. I know people on other boards (also about "fun stuff") who grew up at that lake.
I really hope that no members of this board were affected.

yakill

25 Jul 2011, 12:41

The killer is a right-wing "Christian" fundamentalist. (I put "Christian" in quotes, because mass-murder is not a Christian thing to do in my view)
Wow that's funny. When it comes co christian fundamentalist killers everyone claims they are not christian because of their doings, but when it comes to islamic fundamentalists it's just how muslims are right?
No, thats bullshit.

7bit

25 Jul 2011, 13:37

yakill wrote:
The killer is a right-wing "Christian" fundamentalist. (I put "Christian" in quotes, because mass-murder is not a Christian thing to do in my view)
Wow that's funny. When it comes co christian fundamentalist killers everyone claims they are not christian because of their doings, but when it comes to islamic fundamentalists it's just how muslims are right?
No, thats bullshit.
Maybe you are right and we should just say Nazis, or Terrorists to them (no mater if they falsely pretend to be Budist, Islamic, Christian, or Jewish).

Also, it might be time to change your username to 'yalove'.

webwit
Wild Duck

25 Jul 2011, 13:49

The whole point is that he is a Christian fundamentalist, just like the whole point of 9-11 was Muslim fundamentalism. They both wanted a jihad. The Muslims got it. The Christian won't.

TacticalCoder

25 Jul 2011, 15:16

The Solutor wrote:Are the US citizen too used to this kind of "one man made" mass murders ?
Writing such a sentence is disgusting.

Ban IMHO. Trolling has its limits.

The Solutor

25 Jul 2011, 15:31

TacticalCoder wrote: Writing such a sentence is disgusting.
If you are too dumb to understand what I wrote, just skip my messages.

Brian8bit

25 Jul 2011, 17:06

Solutor wasn't trolling. Just saying that, lone gunman massacres are more common in the states and they're kind of used to them. I live in Northern Ireland and have been in two towns when they were bombed. Seeing bomb disposal racing to the scene of suspected devices is something I've simply become used to over the years. So when the original Oslo bombing was reported, I wasn't that shocked. Despite the number of victims and casualties. However, in more peaceful European countries, one can understand the shock from a car bomb.

Lone gunman massacres are extremely rare here and they're rare for Europe as well. The sheer number of victims is even beyond what America has seen and that's what makes the lone gunman part of the whole horrible story that much more shocking.

The Solutor

25 Jul 2011, 17:12

Thanks brain.

Looks like that even with my subpar English, my thought wasn't that hard to understand.

Return to “Off-topic”