Best keycaps

taek

26 Nov 2017, 09:40

I am happy to see both GMK Oblivion and SA Dasher nominated. These are the things I've waited for a long time.

User avatar
mecano

30 Nov 2017, 11:54

Myoth wrote: Nominating GMK Terminal, can't get enough it it !

Image
Great looking set!
(the matting pad is weird though. What shell is that, allowing to take host as argument for switching to root and asking password for host as it was the login? Doesn't make sense for me.)

User avatar
NecromanX

30 Nov 2017, 14:15

mecano wrote:
Myoth wrote: Nominating GMK Terminal, can't get enough it it !

Image
Great looking set!
(the matting pad is weird though. What shell is that, allowing to take host as argument for switching to root and asking password for host as it was the login? Doesn't make sense for me.)
it is weird but su can be used to login as another user than root. Sudoing it elevates it to force logging in to such account without knowing the root or tkc password. However the password prompt should ask for main its password and not tkc. ;p

Menuhin

30 Nov 2017, 15:25

NecromanX wrote:
mecano wrote:
Myoth wrote: Nominating GMK Terminal, can't get enough it it !

Image
Great looking set!
(the matting pad is weird though. What shell is that, allowing to take host as argument for switching to root and asking password for host as it was the login? Doesn't make sense for me.)
it is weird but su can be used to login as another user than root. Sudoing it elevates it to force logging in to such account without knowing the root or tkc password. However the password prompt should ask for main its password and not tkc. ;p
lol xD
That is an interesting keycap post.

Didn't know that I (possibly) can su into another account with just sudo, I just do such thing as root, perhaps I don't have so much criminal mindset. :twisted:
Right, why it is asking for tkc, but not the password for main? Smart packaging design, but not enough attention to details. Just for this, I will reconsider if I should vote for GMK Terminal. :mrgreen:

User avatar
mecano

30 Nov 2017, 15:40

Yes impersonating by sudoers ;)
I was considering it living it's own life!

Menuhin, you have a criminal mindset if you do all through root :mrgreen:
note: if you are root no need to sudo, su - <username> is enough.

andrewjoy

30 Nov 2017, 16:10

NecromanX wrote: it is weird but su can be used to login as another user than root. Sudoing it elevates it to force logging in to such account without knowing the root or tkc password. However the password prompt should ask for main its password and not tkc. ;p
su stands for " substitute user" not super user or anything like that .

you can switch to any account no matter what it is . So i could say switch user to somone i don't like , send a nasty email to the HR department and then switch back to my sysadmin account and delete the su log :).

sudo however is super user do , as in run this command as an elevated user account

User avatar
NecromanX

30 Nov 2017, 16:24

andrewjoy wrote:
NecromanX wrote: it is weird but su can be used to login as another user than root. Sudoing it elevates it to force logging in to such account without knowing the root or tkc password. However the password prompt should ask for main its password and not tkc. ;p
su stands for " substitute user" not super user or anything like that .

you can switch to any account no matter what it is . So i could say switch user to somone i don't like , send a nasty email to the HR department and then switch back to my sysadmin account and delete the su log :).

sudo however is super user do , as in run this command as an elevated user account
Yeah pretty much what I hoped I explained :-). But you don't have to login to another user to send an email adres from someone else their email address ;D. any open SMTP server is enough to spoof without any validation.

andrewjoy

30 Nov 2017, 16:49

yeh but you dont want to spoof it , you want the sent item in the user folder for later when you investigate them :)

http://bofh.bjash.com/ he taught us well /tiphat

Rimrul

30 Nov 2017, 20:21

The thing is it should ask for the password for 'main' and then show 'tkc@tkc:~$'.

Menuhin

30 Nov 2017, 21:59

mecano wrote: Yes impersonating by sudoers ;)
I was considering it living it's own life!

Menuhin, you have a criminal mindset if you do all through root :mrgreen:
note: if you are root no need to sudo, su - <username> is enough.
Explosion of IT tricks to throw pranks here... :ugeek:

To do all through root, is just tidy-er, everything in tidy order. :)

__red__

01 Dec 2017, 04:16

andrewjoy wrote: sudo however is super user do , as in run this command as an elevated user account
sudo -u username -s # Switch to an unpriv user.

What sudo gives you is the ability to:
* Not have to share a single root password between all admins (ie, the root password)
* Provide the ability to allow access to specific user and command combinations by user or group.

For example, I may give users in my oracle group the ability to run /etc/init.d/oracle as root.

Hint, don't give anyone sudo access to vi, they'll just !sh
;-)

__red__

01 Dec 2017, 05:23

Also, now I've seen the example above let's talk about why you do sudo su - username

su username
and
su - username

are different.

In the former, you retain the environment of your original user. In the later, you start with a clean environment populated by that user's environment.

For example - if you're user 'red' and you su bob
red@foo /home/red $ su bob
Password:
bob@foo /home/red $ cd
bob@foo /home/red $

Note, your current working directory doesn't change, not does your home directory change to bob's home directory (as can be seen by the cd with no args)

On the other hand, if you su - bob
red@foo /home/red $ su - bob
Password:
bob@foo /home/bob $

The reason for the sudo su - bob is that I can then change to the bob user using MY password, not bob's.

If you do sudo -u bob -s, it works the same way as su bob with the broken environment.

always use su -

EVERY SINGLE TIME

User avatar
mecano

01 Dec 2017, 12:35

As they said or before we dig deeper
'man man'
Menuhin wrote: To do all through root, is just tidy-er, everything in tidy order. :)
sure like in
cd /
rm -r *

won't give you the same result as
rm -r *
cd /

User avatar
depletedvespene

01 Dec 2017, 13:03

__red__ wrote: always use su -

EVERY SINGLE TIME
Even more so, use aliases for the accounts you regularly access in this manner. This is what I've got on my .bashrc:

Code: Select all

alias sug="su - mod-cga"
alias suf="su - feriados"
alias sue="su - excusas"
alias suc="su - contador"
That way, I 1) type less characters ; 2) never forget the hyphen.

Menuhin

01 Dec 2017, 14:53

mecano wrote: As they said or before we dig deeper
'man man'
Menuhin wrote: To do all through root, is just tidy-er, everything in tidy order. :)
sure like in
cd /
rm -r *

won't give you the same result as
rm -r *
cd /
Before we do anything we should w first, or even 'finger' individual users.
It will just make the real moves later smoother without unexpected resistance.
:P

User avatar
NecromanX

01 Dec 2017, 14:56

I like where this is going but I am so confused.

__red__

01 Dec 2017, 17:56

NecromanX wrote: I like where this is going but I am so confused.
You think you're confused.

The author of systemd didn't understand the difference between 'su' and 'su -' so created a whole systemd shell to "fix" su's problem :vomit:

User avatar
TuxKey
LLAP

01 Dec 2017, 21:59

was looking at this post .. And after a long day of wrestling with "samba shares",iscsi problems, and other chit on my linux test lab i came here to unwind... and what do my eyes see messages about sudo and sudoers hahaha ..don't have the energy to read it all.. this Linux sysadmin is beat..

The best Keycaps got me looking around.. And there was one set i really liked a while back..
A set that got me thinking /hoping that we Topre users could possibly see more sets in the future for topre boards.
And that was the Custom Topre Keycap Set run by MD a while back.
Spoiler:
Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 21.53.17.png
topre colors
Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 21.53.17.png (400.86 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
My second set would be the caps sold by WideBasket for topre boards. i like the blue set.

i also really really like what Leopold is doing with the new keycaps for their keyboards.
The Leopold FC660M PD Blue Grey looks absolutely beautiful..
Mykeyboard.eu should try to get sets of these ... blue for me and a nice pink one for my girl so i can get here on a nice Leopold with mx-browns.

User avatar
mecano

02 Dec 2017, 11:13

andrewjoy wrote: http://bofh.bjash.com/ he taught us well /tiphat
Great reading, thanks andrew! and explains why the people I worked with a couple of decennies ago always sent me to the op for their troubles :o
TuxKey wrote: The best Keycaps got me looking around.. And there was one set i really liked a while back..
We are already voting, selection is off.

User avatar
hansichen

02 Dec 2017, 11:19

TuxKey wrote:And that was the Custom Topre Keycap Set run by MD a while back.
Spoiler:
Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 21.53.17.png
This set never made it, it only exists as a render

User avatar
Phenix
-p

03 Dec 2017, 12:58

I nominate
SA carbon by tomb3ry: imho grey and orange pair fantastic. Also the OG novelty’s are neat: the new dice/skull noveltys are mmkay but not to my liking,

User avatar
Khers

03 Dec 2017, 13:24

Phenix wrote: I nominate
SA carbon by tomb3ry: imho grey and orange pair fantastic. Also the OG novelty’s are neat: the new dice/skull noveltys are mmkay but not to my liking,
You're only a week late...

Menuhin

03 Dec 2017, 14:06

Phenix wrote: I nominate
SA carbon by tomb3ry: imho grey and orange pair fantastic. Also the OG novelty’s are neat: the new dice/skull noveltys are mmkay but not to my liking,
The carbon set is really a classic creation, not only in its bolder novelty key.
Fire and matters: bright orange is the color of amber during burning, e.g. of wood, the burnt wood turned into charcoal which is in black color; when these pieces of charcoal gets further up in its temperature during its combustion, it turns into grey color.
These colors: bright orange, black / grey are all in the set, with its name "Carbon".

Perhaps the beige is the wood?

User avatar
Phenix
-p

03 Dec 2017, 15:30

Menuhin wrote:
Phenix wrote: I nominate
SA carbon by tomb3ry: imho grey and orange pair fantastic. Also the OG novelty’s are neat: the new dice/skull noveltys are mmkay but not to my liking,
The carbon set is really a classic creation, not only in its bolder novelty key.
Fire and matters: bright orange is the color of amber during burning, e.g. of wood, the burnt wood turned into charcoal which is in black color; when these pieces of charcoal gets further up in its temperature during its combustion, it turns into grey color.
These colors: bright orange, black / grey are all in the set, with its name "Carbon".

Perhaps the beige is the wood?
Well spoken :thumbs:

No problem, there are many other great nominations as well.. Camping is just really nice.
Imho it should go well with the new commando 88 SA set once it’s out.

Menuhin

03 Dec 2017, 17:24

My votes actually include Camping also. ;)
Such an interesting theme - camping and clacking - almost opposite activities.

User avatar
Phenix
-p

03 Dec 2017, 18:44

Menuhin wrote:My votes actually include Camping also. ;)
Such an interesting theme - camping and clacking - almost opposite activities.
Really?
There are folks camping (virtually) to either get in a artisan or a Kustom GB..

F5 F5 F5.... :evilgeek:

Gesendet von meinem Moto G (4) mit Tapatalk

Post Reply

Return to “Call for nominees”