deskthority - Suggestions and Changelog

Muirium
µ

10 Sep 2015, 16:40

SL89 wrote: I agree it's totally annoying, but I think your solution is a bit complex.

On GH and other forums (like XDA iirc) you can only have a certain amount of quotes within quotes. The easiest way to deal with this would be to limit the amount of quotes within quotes to about 2 or 3 at max. (Some forums go from 5 to 10) I'm not sure we even have a limit tbh.
We have that here. It doesn't help much. Even a single dumb bulk quote is annoying. Especially when some doofus does it right after the OP! But I think this solution is quite simple:
The next best thing would be to remove the quote bubble button from the *last post* in every thread! (Leaving it intact for all other posts.) New posts are automatically responding to the post above them, style wise, anyway. For those of us who really want to dissect a post, piece by piece, we can write something quick and then edit our (now last) post to include the (now enabled) quotes desired.
The only time I like to quote a post right above mine is when I've found that I'm now top post on the next page. (Doh! It happened now! Can we get an automatic warning for page turns?) In which case, I do go back and quote their post with an edit of my own. That would still be supported by this simple (?) hack.

At least, it looks simple!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

10 Sep 2015, 16:47

That's why I quote naked and that's why I like to post-edit! ;) :mrgreen:

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Sep 2015, 16:50

Try tweaking Admin->Posting->Post Settings->Maximum nesting depth for quotes.

Muirium
µ

10 Sep 2015, 16:56

Nah. A single quote depth is plenty enough to allow this behaviour. And every once in a while, behaving myself of course, I even run into that limit as it is now.

Remove the button on the last post. Go on! It'll nip this quite nicely.

@Seebart: Attaboy!

macmakkara

10 Sep 2015, 18:54

Oh im too used to finnish forum (murobbs) where i post pretty much. And there you quote button automaticly deletes quoted text from post. And there we use quotes to notify PPL that some one has answered to their question cause they get notification if their post is quoted.
But on there is a lot bigger user space and lots posts... They dissapear really fast from spy...

Muirium
µ

10 Sep 2015, 19:06

Don't worry Mac, I'm sure people have their reasons. I just don't like the repetitive result, and would like to fix this server side, like we did the "Please include your location…" problem. One fix: permanent win.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Sep 2015, 19:31

I can think of cases where one would like to quote the last post. For example when the next post is on a new page. Or to trim it down to one or two parts of a larger text, so it's clear what part you're answering. In those and other such cases people will look for the quote button, and it's bad usability if it is not there and they are left confused.

Muirium
µ

10 Sep 2015, 20:09

Alas, that's the minority use case. Trimmed quotes are great! But most of the time, that button's taking a slab and dumping it dupe style on the thread. I'll start linking examples here as they happen, if you like. It's about as common as the "where are you located?" problem.

The first fix on my list — the one that requires heuristics — would keep you happy. If you didn't also have to implement it!

7bit

14 Sep 2015, 21:04

webwit wrote: Try tweaking Admin->Posting->Post Settings->Maximum nesting depth for quotes.
Not sure what the discussion is all about, but it would be great if too many nested quotes are detected, they are removed with a little note somewhere.

But more important:

I've set up directories for each year I got pms. It was quite painful to shift the messages into their locations. It would be nice to say: "move messages from 2014 into directory 2014". Even better would be a propper download tool, so I can clean the whole mess up.

I've got some ideas how to imporve the pm-thing:
DT_message_001.png
DT_message_001.png (111.62 KiB) Viewed 4512 times
:o

And while we are at it: Is it possible to add a at least a shortcut for the attachment-tag?

Code: Select all

[attachment=1] :P [/attachment]
[attachment=2] :roll: [/attachment]
[attachment=3] :mad: [/attachment]

What about:
[att0]
[att1]
[att2]
:roll:

One more thing:
DT_message_002.png
DT_message_002.png (385.58 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
:-)

Muirium
µ

15 Sep 2015, 19:09

Here we go!

Balla32beau wrote: Is the Dolch still available??? Really interested in buying
BigTinz wrote: Prices include shipping in the US. All items have been cleaned, tested working, and come from a smoke free home. The Ducky Legend is brand new and is not a model sold in stores: it has a silver top, cherry reds, and white backlighting. The K70 is a very limited edition, ordered directly from Corsair. Cherry reds + red LEDs. Payment via PayPal only. Please forgive my mediocre aqua calligraphy...

Sale Gallery w/ timestamps: http://imgur.com/a/eSOgD

Ducky Legend - MX Reds - $130 Image

Rosewill RK9kV2 - MX Blues - $70 Image

Corsair K70 Limited Edition - MX Reds - $90 Image

Corsair K65 - MX Reds + Goldtouch - MX Browns + extra keys $65 Image

DSA Dolch keyset - Includes gamer keys, windowed keys, and 6.5 spacebar - $80 Image

Ducky Legend keyset - includes Ducky keypuller and gray WASD keys $20 Image

Muirium
µ

15 Sep 2015, 19:11

As Chzel said:
chzel wrote: Whoa there! No need to quote the whole post, pics and all!
And that's just one! single shitty quote deep.

Can we at least auto
Spoiler:
quoted images? (Only on posts written via the quote bubble button. Skip this check for edits. It's there for the hit n run brigade!)

SL89

15 Sep 2015, 19:13

What is the mechanism that would be detecting it tho? Like is it looking for a new character string or like how many nested comments or a certain numbers of images in a comment. Maybe just make it so you can't quote images?

Muirium
µ

15 Sep 2015, 19:15

I added one to my post while you were writing that.

Auto spoiler tagging images when initialising the Reply With Quote uh… form?… would be a great start at tackling the worst of this problem that reeks of shitty forums that shall remain nameless!

(What I mean is when you're in a thread, and you hit the quote button beneath any post, the screen that then comes up with that message ready quoted for you should have every instance of {img} replaced with {spoiler}{img} and {/img} with {/img}{/spoiler}. You can edit them out if you want to. And this logic is not applied anywhere else. Seems doable… though most things do when you don't code!)

Edit: {=[ and }=] obviously. I couldn't fool the parser not to goof up my examples!

SL89

15 Sep 2015, 19:48

That works just as well. If its a simple fix then it would greatly improve things.

webwit
Wild Duck

15 Sep 2015, 20:04

It's always good to see this many volunteers to play with the inner parsing of phpBB 3.0 code branch instead of keyboards.
Good luck guys, send me the patches when finished!
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/blob/3.0 ... parser.php

Muirium
µ

15 Sep 2015, 20:06

I speaka da English. Nuthin' else.

SL89

15 Sep 2015, 20:14

I knew it wasn't that easy!

7bit

15 Sep 2015, 21:45

Muirium wrote: 7 posts up
chzel wrote: Whoa there! No need to quote the whole post, pics and all!
No, not this way, but:

If the photos are already on the same page, make a link to the photo (or post) on that page, but don't show it again;
Else show photo;
:ugeek:
webwit wrote: 3 posts up
It's only 1700 lines, so no problem here.
:P

How can people type such mess:

$this->bbcodes = array(
			'code'			=> array('bbcode_id' => 8,	'regexp' => array('#\[code(?:=([a-z]+))?\](.+\[/code\])#uise' => "\$this->bbcode_code('\$1', '\$2')")),
			'quote'			=> array('bbcode_id' => 0,	'regexp' => array('#\[quote(?:="(.*?)")?\](.+)\[/quote\]#uise' => "\$this->bbcode_quote('\$0')")),
			'attachment'	=> array('bbcode_id' => 12,	'regexp' => array('#\[attachment=([0-9]+)\](.*?)\[/attachment\]#uise' => "\$this->bbcode_attachment('\$1', '\$2')")),
			'b'				=> array('bbcode_id' => 1,	'regexp' => array('#\[b\](.*?)\[/b\]#uise' => "\$this->bbcode_strong('\$1')")),
			'i'				=> array('bbcode_id' => 2,	'regexp' => array('#\[i\](.*?)\[/i\]#uise' => "\$this->bbcode_italic('\$1')")),
			'url'			=> array('bbcode_id' => 3,	'regexp' => array('#\[url(=(.*))?\](?(1)((?s).*(?-s))|(.*))\[/url\]#uiUe' => "\$this->validate_url('\$2', ('\$3') ? '\$3' : '\$4')")),
			'img'			=> array('bbcode_id' => 4,	'regexp' => array('#\[img\](.*)\[/img\]#uiUe' => "\$this->bbcode_img('\$1')")),
			'size'			=> array('bbcode_id' => 5,	'regexp' => array('#\[size=([\-\+]?\d+)\](.*?)\[/size\]#uise' => "\$this->bbcode_size('\$1', '\$2')")),
			'color'			=> array('bbcode_id' => 6,	'regexp' => array('!\[color=(#[0-9a-f]{3}|#[0-9a-f]{6}|[a-z\-]+)\](.*?)\[/color\]!uise' => "\$this->bbcode_color('\$1', '\$2')")),
			'u'				=> array('bbcode_id' => 7,	'regexp' => array('#\[u\](.*?)\[/u\]#uise' => "\$this->bbcode_underline('\$1')")),
			'list'			=> array('bbcode_id' => 9,	'regexp' => array('#\[list(?:=(?:[a-z0-9]|disc|circle|square))?].*\[/list]#uise' => "\$this->bbcode_parse_list('\$0')")),
			'email'			=> array('bbcode_id' => 10,	'regexp' => array('#\[email=?(.*?)?\](.*?)\[/email\]#uise' => "\$this->validate_email('\$1', '\$2')")),
			'flash'			=> array('bbcode_id' => 11,	'regexp' => array('#\[flash=([0-9]+),([0-9]+)\](.*?)\[/flash\]#uie' => "\$this->bbcode_flash('\$1', '\$2', '\$3')"))
		);
:cry:

webwit
Wild Duck

15 Sep 2015, 23:19

It's the perl styled regular expressions that spoil it! :twisted:

Muirium
µ

15 Sep 2015, 23:24

Oh, I get it. Regular expressions like: fuck this shit, and what that mean? Coding is fun! Well, apart from all the gibberish between the sentences.

7bit

15 Sep 2015, 23:27

webwit wrote: 2 posts up
No, it seems that arrays get stuffed into an array. I'm quite sure there must be a more elegant way than doing this all in one expression.

In fact, the regular expressions are about the only things I fully understand here.
:? :shock:

$this->bbcodes = array(
         'code'         => array('bbcode_id' => 8,   'regexp' => array('#\[code(?:=([a-z]+))?\](.+\[/code\])#uise' => "\$this->bbcode_code('\$1', '\$2')")),
I'm quite sure now, what this does. But I still think it is doable in a more clear way.

Muirium
µ

15 Sep 2015, 23:29

X Posts up? Did you implement that already? I instantly dislike it! Better off with a blank in the quote, and leave the integrated link.

7bit

15 Sep 2015, 23:42

From Perl man-page:

Hashes
           A hash represents a set of key/value pairs:

my %fruit_color = ("apple", "red", "banana", "yellow");

You can use whitespace and the "=>" operator to lay them out more
           nicely:

my %fruit_color = (
                   apple  => "red",
                   banana => "yellow",
               );

To get at hash elements:

$fruit_color{"apple"};           # gives "red"
In Perl, the code above would look nicer.
Muirium wrote: 1 posts up
Yes, but I made sure it is only working for me and only in this thread, not to irritate the others.
:cool:

7bit

15 Sep 2015, 23:47

This way?
Muirium wrote: .

Muirium
µ

15 Sep 2015, 23:57

Nah, it's just as shite. Leave it!

webwit
Wild Duck

16 Sep 2015, 00:07

Muirium
µ

16 Sep 2015, 10:15

I wonder if I could understand code better if it was in something non-Roman, like APL. Seeing mangled words and NIGHT:MARISH; punctuation just appalls me. I can't help but read it with the same part of my mind that's tuned for English.

7bit

16 Sep 2015, 10:36

APL is even worse:
x[⍋x←6?40]
:roll:

Please explain what it does.
:evilgeek:

Or this:
(~R∊R∘.×R)/R←1↓ιR

Or this:
⎕←{⍵/⍨~{⍵∨≠\⍵}⍵∊'<>'}txt
vs. regular expression:
$txt =~ s/[<]([^>]*)[>]/$1/g;
:cry:

scottc

16 Sep 2015, 11:53

7bit wrote: In Perl, the code above would look nicer.
Muirium wrote: 1 posts up
Yes, but I made sure it is only working for me and only in this thread, not to irritate the others.
:cool:
In Python, it's even better :)

fruit_colours = {
  "apple": "red but also green sometimes",
  "orange": "orange"
}

print fruit_colours["apple"]
# > prints "red but also green sometimes"
I find it's a much nicer everyday scripting language than esoteric old perl. ;)

Muirium
µ

16 Sep 2015, 13:09

Aaaargh! SNAKE!!!

Return to “Deskthority talk”