Member rating

wupi

14 Jan 2012, 22:14

A subforum in the Marketplace for member ratings like in many other forums would be useful. :idea:

mintberryminuscrunch

14 Jan 2012, 22:30

+1

Ascaii
The Beard

15 Jan 2012, 21:16

alternatively, a built in feedback system like GH or OCN have would fulfill the same ideas with easier access for people.

webwit
Wild Duck

15 Jan 2012, 22:43

I wouldn't want a subforum for this, to prevent subforum proliferation, and because the usefulness of this is debatable.

A quick search reveals this mod, although it's an abandoned project, but there are most likely others. Still not sure though. I understand the need, especially when buying from strangers on the Internet. But to provide some counter points, I also kinda like reputation just by how you know and trust people in a relatively small community. Giving ratings is a bit like giving ratings to friends and acquaintances in your local environment. That will get less valid over time because of more members, but then we're not big enough to give such ratings statistical meaning over just anecdotal. Just naming some counter points though. If more people like to see this, let us know and we'll implement it.

Julle

01 Feb 2012, 21:18

Would it be possible to implement a sort of seller/buyer feedback and rating plugin in this forum software? Apologies if this has been suggested before and a reasonable explanation of its absence has been given.

7bit

01 Feb 2012, 21:21

I don't like it. I won't get feedback points anyway (not even negatives). Don't know how others get these at GH.

Julle

01 Feb 2012, 21:26

All I'm asking for is just a simple tool to evaluate seller/buyer reliability. There is a large number of users, especially here on Deskthority, about whom I know nothing.

A system like that is pretty much the standard on any trading site. I don't understand why Deskthority should be an exception. 'I don't like it' doesn't seem like a reasonable justification.

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Feb 2012, 21:33

Topics merged.

7bit

01 Feb 2012, 21:53

All users you find on this page:
http://deskthority.net/memberlist.php?mode=&sk=d&sd=d
are trustworthy, except for:

ripster !!!

:evilgeek:

ripster

02 Feb 2012, 03:09

About those Group Buy Three defective keys....
mail.google.com.jpg
mail.google.com.jpg (4.68 KiB) Viewed 3006 times

7bit

02 Feb 2012, 12:38

:shock:

guilleguillaume

06 Feb 2012, 22:35

This kind of thing was not before on Geekhack and there were a lot of sales between users.

Fame works in subforums like that. I trusted Ceesa and Sixty without even knowing them personally just because I saw them posting on Geekhack and knew they were reliable people.

I don't think need we need it here. Were a small community where everybody "know" each other.

7bit

06 Feb 2012, 22:47

Exactly the same with me. I tricked 100s of people to buy faulty Round 3 key caps with just being a few month on GH!
:evilgeek:

Findecanor

07 Feb 2012, 00:36

I find that an active member creates a reputation for himself within the community anyway. If a buyer or seller treats someone disrespectfully in a transaction then that often comes out in the open. If someone appears to be well liked by several other people then it is likely that that person has not screwed anyone over ... yet.
If I want to buy an item for sale at a forum and I don't know much about the seller's rep, I go to that user's profile and check his/her old threads, especially those in the Marketplace forums. This is where those otherwise seemly useless posts that say "Received mine. It was great, thank you" get a purpose. In a few rare cases, I have identified buyers and asked them via PM about the person they have bought from.

However... I have also seen several cases where users that had previously had a good rep have stopped delivering on deals and fallen from grace. A system for giving reputation points to members can not prevent that from happening.
In the worst case, a member had been banned for harassing other members (online and IRL), but got back a year later with a sock puppet account. The sock puppet was active for a few years and acquired quite a good rep before the identity of the holder was discovered. It was also revealed that the guy was a borderline psychopath and that during his time away from the board he had served time in jail for attempting to kidnap and molest a child. The revelation of the sock pupppet's real identity and his activities came as a real chock for us who had communicated with him, bought and sold stuff to/from him and cooperated with him on creating artwork for group orders. (BTW, this was not on a keyboard-oriented forum.)
7bit wrote:Don't know how others get these at GH.
There is a tab for it on each user's public profile page.

Return to “Deskthority talk”