Post your deskthority header images here

elecplus

15 Jun 2015, 05:07

So what do u want?

Mal-2

15 Jun 2015, 07:21

elecplus wrote: So what do u want?
He wants support for hardware more than six years old, in which case he should have known better than to rely on Apple.

Halvar

15 Jun 2015, 08:37

Welcome to the age of cloud service based software. This kind of thing will happen a lot in the next years, because everyone is writing software now that relies on some kind of working and compatible cloud service.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

15 Jun 2015, 11:17

ICL (Alps) one per desk:
oneperdesk.jpg
oneperdesk.jpg (235.21 KiB) Viewed 3675 times
mr_a500's keypad:
keypad.JPG
keypad.JPG (113.26 KiB) Viewed 3675 times

Muirium
µ

15 Jun 2015, 11:24

Actually, up until literally days ago, Dropbox was the best supporter of ancient PowerPC Macs, period. Their client was still updated on 2005 AD's Mac OS X 10.4, as well as my ole iMac's 10.5. Web browsers were the ones who dumped PowerPC long ago. That ruined them as daily machines.

Also bear in mind whole computing platforms very seldom go through radical processor architecture transitions. PowerPC and Intel 64 aren't related at all. Windows has never made a leap like that and kept all its software running. The ARM version of the Surface ran bugger all, flopped and died.

Anyway, I paid all of zero dollars for the iMac (a gift in 2010) so I more than got my money's worth. All the more so than that troublesome later gifted Mac Pro. Built in screen really helps.

@A500: Why aren't you still running that clunker as your main machine now? In 2008, this one was no problem. Everyone still supported it until Snow Leopard in 2009 opened the exit on that age.

@Cindy. To answer your question: all I'm looking for is patience. I need to save up and wait on Apple's autumn updates. USB C is their next big thing, and I'm not considering a machine without it.

Muirium
µ

15 Jun 2015, 11:29

I like the later picture, Seebart. I'll add it when I'm finished rummaging the abacus…

(I'm on iOS most of the time, for now. These tasks must be done on my laptop.)

seebart

15 Jun 2015, 11:30

Muirium wrote: Windows has never made a leap like that and kept all its software running.
That'a not quite ture but let's not turn this thread into an OS war mess...anyway I need to tweak those two header ideas of mine a bit if they are even to be taken seriously. :ugeek: Don't add either yet Mu! The keypad needs to move to the right for DT logo space.

Muirium
µ

15 Jun 2015, 11:32

Whenever Seebarting image submissions: add a TEXT WARNING they are provisional, please.

seebart

15 Jun 2015, 11:34

Muirium wrote: Whenever Seebarting image submissions: add a TEXT WARNING they are provisional, please.
Right. :oops:

photekq
Cherry Picker

15 Jun 2015, 11:42

I love mr_a500's picture of that keypad, but it's tricky to make it match nicely with the DT logo.

seebart

15 Jun 2015, 11:44

another try:
icl.jpg
icl.jpg (233.06 KiB) Viewed 3644 times
keypad2.jpg
keypad2.jpg (117.39 KiB) Viewed 3644 times
keypad3.jpg
keypad3.jpg (122.13 KiB) Viewed 3640 times

Muirium
µ

15 Jun 2015, 11:54

I like the first and third versions of that numpad shot. But no decisions are final when on iPhone!

Meanwhile, I see 4k displays are coming my direction in pricing…

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00R420WNM?vs=1

4k at 24 inch could be pretty useful to me. This one's cheap and the catch is no IPS. So I'd need to see one in person. Works at 60 Hz with my generation of MacBook Pro though.

One of these would make the old Mac Pro much more bearable too, once I get it back to the hack again. Yes my graphics card is Mini Displayport too.

Truth is I really want a 5k iMac with USB C that doesn't even exist yet. So this would be a stopgap. One that rotates to portrait and reviews say works well that way as a second display on the current iMac… I've never had a 2 display setup.

andrewjoy

15 Jun 2015, 12:28

that is a bloody nice panel

its 16:9 unfortunately but there are next to 0 16:10 4k displays out there unless you want to shell out the big bucks

TV has allot to answer for killing off 16:10

Muirium
µ

15 Jun 2015, 12:51

I'd rather 16:10 than 4:3. Hell, that 21" CRT I was still using a few years ago was 5:4 tubetastic!

Aiming to go see one of these in person. PCworld's website indicates they don't even sell Dell displays. I hope this is a case of incompetent website instead of incompetent stores. We don't even have Microsoft display showrooms stores here. I liked those! Very friendly.

andrewjoy

15 Jun 2015, 12:55

4:3 is still handy for some things.

16:10 is where its at , however i think for me who loves games 4k is still a bit of a way off .

120htz 2560x1600 IPS is what i would prefer at the moment . I cant be bothered with SLI anymore to get the performance out of the 4k monitors

Muirium
µ

15 Jun 2015, 13:27

Video playback is as demanding as I get, frankly. I'm fine with performance on my 15" at 2880x1800 or whatever it is. The problem is the sore back I curse myself with if I use it too many hours in a day. Standing desk therapy!

mr_a500

15 Jun 2015, 13:29

Muirium wrote: Prefer: no. Have: yes.

My desktop was a freebie 2006 vintage Mac Pro. Apple abandoned it back with 10.7 which is a shitty old OS (2011?) that everyone's given up on with software support, especially web browsers. So I hacked 10.10 to run on it. That broke down a while ago for some reason I can't identify. Since then I dug out the 2003 vintage iMac for desktop duties, but it's a relic that struggles badly on the modern web. So things are all a bit inbetween until I save up for a new Mac. Hopefully by then Apple makes a new 5k iMac with USB C or a Thunderbolt Display with 4k or greater resolution. Because I'm far from rich and can't afford costly stop gaps.
Wait a minute - what the hell happened to your late 2013 MacBook Pro? I thought you had the same computer as mine. (minus my spiffy dual graphics, which isn't as great as I expected)

Thanks seebart for your croptastic croppings. :) I don't think it works as a header though. Especially painful is the closeup of a screw I fucked up attempting to open the case. (never attempt to open a Bud keypad from the top - it just doesn't work)

seebart

15 Jun 2015, 13:39

That crop isn't croptastic. And yes you're right that image does not work well as a header. For what it's worth I like my ICL better.

mr_a500

15 Jun 2015, 13:43

Your last ICL header looks good except for that "P" under the logo.

Muirium
µ

15 Jun 2015, 15:52

@A500. I do still have that Mac. But look at the post immediately above your own. Using laptops ruins my back.

I started experimenting with standing desks (actually a chest of drawers) a couple of years ago, soon after I got into mechs. Back, shoulder and neck pain were the cause. I can only handle so much sitting still and staring at a screen in the day. Standing was a surprising success. So I wound up back into desktops, right at the wrong time when the 5k iMac was still a year or two away.

I'm just back from a tour of the local big box electronics retailers. Most of them don't even sell computer displays any more. Only PCworld still does, and it's just a handful of piteous junk. They literally have more washing machines in the showroom than desktop computers. Yikes.

So no ability to try that 4k Dell I linked. Without shooting in the dark…

elecplus

15 Jun 2015, 15:56

For $2500, you can get a Dell 5K monitor http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... ku=UP275K3
or the 32" version in the UK for 1679 pounds http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/produ ... cs=ukbsdt1
Last edited by elecplus on 15 Jun 2015, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

seebart

15 Jun 2015, 15:58

I remember the standing desk topic. Of course I never tried it. I have my HP ZR24 display sitting on a little wooden stool on my desk so that I can manage an upright sitting position whilst typing.

Nice display Cindy. The pricetag kills it. My entire setup cost less than that.

elecplus

15 Jun 2015, 16:05

Apparently only certain high-end Mac notebooks will run the 5K. http://www.pusatnews.com/en/high-end-20 ... or-1261309

Hope you get a nice bonus check sometime this year, Mu!

andrewjoy

15 Jun 2015, 16:09

Muirium wrote:
So no ability to try that 4k Dell I linked. Without shooting in the dark…

4k euro tour!

mr_a500

15 Jun 2015, 16:15

Muirium wrote: @A500. I do still have that Mac. But look at the post immediately above your own. Using laptops ruins my back.
I saw that post immediately above mine immediately after I posted because it wasn't there immediately before I posted.

Muirium wrote: So I wound up back into desktops, right at the wrong time when the 5k iMac was still a year or two away.
But... you don't really need a desktop computer to have a standing desk setup, as demonstrated in my old setup:

Muirium
µ

15 Jun 2015, 16:48

True. I haven't eyesight for that though. Actually, that's not true. I've always been like this, but anyway. I like my desktop displays real close. Otherwise I catch myself leaning in to see them, and causing all that strain I'm on about.

Actually, I moved away from desktops toward laptops long ago kinda sorta for that reason. I literally can't ever get close enough to be comfortable with a laptop display, so I don't try as much. On a chair at a desk, though, oy. You'll find me with my shoulders right above the keyboard. It's no way to live! Standing up keeps me close without slipping into that hideous posture.

Retina displays are a big plus for someone who naturally gets as close to them as most people use their phones. I always sit in the front row at the cinema too. Seeing the whole screen as a little box makes my mind itch.

mr_a500

15 Jun 2015, 16:59

Yeah, I like to be fairly close too - and I do normally lean close to the screen. I'm only 6 feet tall though, not a giant hulking Scottish barbarian, like you. That must be tough. :mrgreen:

seebart

15 Jun 2015, 17:16

mr_a500 wrote:...not a giant hulking Scottish barbarian, like you. That must be tough. :mrgreen:
:D

Muirium
µ

15 Jun 2015, 18:02

I will do nothing to recalibrate your mental model of me, as the vision of an ever more gigantine Celt lurking the barren corners of the highlands (of abandoned Apple hardware piled skyward) of your mind brings a smirk!

Bugger, why don't they accept imagery as payment at the Apple Store? I remember when you guys were cool.

seebart

15 Jun 2015, 18:07

True, they were cool once upon a time... in a galaxy far far away. I don't share those stereotypes by the way. Germans know about stereotypes. That expensive G7 thing they just held fueled some of those stereotypes.

Return to “Deskthority talk”