DT Update Log and TODO

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 Aug 2019, 10:01

Compgeke wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 20:50
Other side of the ocean? You mean the correct side! finally some help
each side is "the other" for ... the other side.

depletedvespene

02 Aug 2019, 13:03

matt3o wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 10:01
Compgeke wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 20:50
Other side of the ocean? You mean the correct side! finally some help
each side is "the other" for ... the other side.
No one should ever forget the words of infinite wisdom from Buckaroo Banzai: no matter where you go, there you are.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

02 Aug 2019, 15:33

I wonder whether the spamming is not in fact targeted at disturbing DT rather than really advertising bizarre websites.

By the way, many thanks to our mod team. Last time I reported spam (a few minutes ago) it disappeared just a few seconds later :D

Compgeke

02 Aug 2019, 17:49

Naw, it's just regular old forum spam. You can dig through the IPs used to find a lot are hits for recent spam waves on forums, rather than being targeted at just us.

The good news is you can notice some trends in IPs to help cut back. A lot of spam was coming from the 5.188.x.x range which is largely used by a hosting provider in St Petersburg. I can't imagine anyone is legitimately posting from an IP block owned by a hosting provider (unless you're using a VPN - in which case you're just a casualty here) so blocking it off enirely helped quite a bit.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

03 Aug 2019, 07:54

Is it possible to change the order of the items in the "Reason" list of the "Report this post" page so as to have "The reported message has the only purpose to advertise for a website or another product" appearing as the default.

It would simplify reporting spam, as one would then simply have to hit the "Submit" button (or the "Enter" key).
Report.png
Report.png (28.15 KiB) Viewed 29456 times

Compgeke

06 Aug 2019, 02:13

tbh as a moderator, I don't really care what the reason for the report is. As long as it's flagged, it's enough for me to take a look at the post.

andrewjoy

06 Aug 2019, 11:14

Compgeke wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 02:13
tbh as a moderator, I don't really care what the reason for the report is. As long as it's flagged, it's enough for me to take a look at the post.
Same .

I dont even fill in the ban reason for spam anymore i just leave it blank.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

06 Aug 2019, 12:11

Good to know you all don't care.

And good occasion for me to play the grumpy chocolate bar again.
Spoiler:
If there are rules, they are there for a reason. If there is no reason, get rid of the rule, but do not let everyone choose if they want to abide by the rule or not.

Muirium
µ

06 Aug 2019, 13:25

I agree with the venerable Cadbury.

Would it be much bother for Matteo to just destroy that drop down list or put SPAM as item number one? I submit “whatever the actual fuck I don’t care and I know you don’t too” enter-enter-enter reports as well. But it annoys me every time. Because in this respect, we’re the bad design.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Aug 2019, 13:45

Muirium wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 13:25
I agree with the venerable Cadbury.

Would it be much bother for Matteo to just destroy that drop down list or put SPAM as item number one?
I'll look into it

Muirium
µ

06 Aug 2019, 13:52

Thanks.

The Report this Post page after the ! button is a safety mechanism for false clicks. Phone screens put that very near the " button! I’ve backed out in alarm a few times…

But all we’re ever reporting, again and again, is spam: so it must be the default.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

06 Aug 2019, 15:39

May I add I’m quite pissed off?

I had given up any hope of being heard in that matter when after almost three days, I was at least told it simply doesn’t matter.
But when Mu agreed with me, it took just twenty minutes until…

Oh, well, I’m certainly being unfair. But it sucks.

At least Mu saved my day, gratifying me with a new nickname - and the adjective "venerable" :lol:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Aug 2019, 15:57

kbdfr wrote:
I was going to look into it after your report and before Mu posted his message, I simply replied to his message because I didn't want a horde of people saying "yay I want this feature too!"

andrewjoy

06 Aug 2019, 16:00

kbdfr wrote:
May I add I’m quite pissed off?

I had given up any hope of being heard in that matter when after almost three days, I was at least told it simply doesn’t matter.
But when Mu agreed with me, it took just twenty minutes until…

At least Mu saved my day, gratifying me with a new nickname - and the adjective "venerable" :lol:

Hey man, much love for the tiproman .

I was just pointing out that no matter what the report if its spam it gets the hammer, so dont worry about it if you dont have time to select correct option. If you want to thats cool too.

Muirium
µ

06 Aug 2019, 16:11

Ah, sweet persecution!
That list has been bugging me for ages, too. Surely 90%+ of all reports are for spam, so it absolutely must be the default choice in the list. I don’t think I’ve ever once even used the others!

Searching this thread, I found this proposal I made for a better worded list; which has SPAM as the default item at the top. That report post button truly is Report Spam, after all.

(Looking at the post from January, I’m glad that Anonymous face isn’t still shit stirring here, as far as I can see. He was getting to be a real downer.)

andrewjoy

06 Aug 2019, 16:28

99% of them are set as the default yes :D

kbdfr
The Tiproman

06 Aug 2019, 16:53

matt3o wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 15:57
kbdfr wrote:
I was going to look into it after your report and before Mu posted his message, I simply replied to his message because I didn't want a horde of people saying "yay I want this feature too!"
Acknowledged - I knew I was "certainly being unfair",
but anyway thanks to all for not letting me rant alone and without any echo in my solitary ivory tower :mrgreen:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

29 Aug 2019, 16:05

matt3o wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 16:00
kbdfr wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 15:27
There seems to be no way to actually write and send an email to a member.
Or can the reason be related to my Firefox settings?
DT-Send email.png
I had to do that because of fucking spammers
If this has become a permanent feature, why not completely deactivate the "send email to a member" function?
It would be less frustrating.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

31 Aug 2019, 07:27

After the recent review of the wiki config I was able to add some caching to the wiki that should be now even faster. I know we had issues in the past with caching, so if you encounter any problem please let me know.
kbdfr wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 16:05
If this has become a permanent feature, why not completely deactivate the "send email to a member" function?
It would be less frustrating.
it was an emergency measure. Hopefully I can fix it somehow.

Muirium
µ

11 Dec 2019, 09:31

I was just about to write “can we have a button on posts to quote and reply as a PM to the author like we did before?” when I came to this thread and saw the answer above. Might be a victim to spam too, I suspect!

It’s not so hard to:
  • open the user’s page
  • open send a PM
  • manually enter a subject
But it’s not as elegant as having all this done automatically by a single click, as before. And I did like the automatically included link to the quoted post as well.

Muirium
µ

12 Dec 2019, 09:16

Kbdfr PMed to show me this feature still exists. I’d forgotten about the new “responsive” design. Of course, the trouble is it does not respond for me! It just hides. His illustration of the workflow is unchanged since the old days, on desktop. But this is how it works here:
F349E703-6B88-45C0-870B-3AB7B8DF734C.jpeg
F349E703-6B88-45C0-870B-3AB7B8DF734C.jpeg (270.78 KiB) Viewed 27192 times
Yes I use DT on my phone for the most part. No PM buttons in threads anywhere. Or disclosures to find them. Just those useless jump to top buttons I’ve never used, on every post instead.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Dec 2019, 09:14

pain and sufferer to mobile users. the best stuff comes to the DT BBS over a 2400baud modem!

Muirium
µ

13 Dec 2019, 11:56

Does the site still work in Lynx? We used to…

http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/volke ... t7744.html

I know you’re kidding. But you should know better than to joke about vintage computing with this crowd!

swampangel

18 Dec 2019, 17:43

If you can see this message, the answer is yes, Mu ;)

Muirium
µ

18 Dec 2019, 18:12

swampangel wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 17:43
If you can see this message, the answer is yes, Mu ;)
Hurrah!

swampangel

18 Dec 2019, 21:08

Muirium wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 09:16
Kbdfr PMed to show me this feature still exists. I’d forgotten about the new “responsive” design. Of course, the trouble is it does not respond for me! It just hides. His illustration of the workflow is unchanged since the old days, on desktop. But this is how it works here:
More helpfully, I think this panel could be enabled on mobile with a style-only change.

I'll play around with the inspector and see if I can do up a minimal set of style rules, and then matt3o can tell me it's not worth the effort to implement them ;)

swampangel

20 Dec 2019, 14:34

Code: Select all

@media (max-width: 700px) {
    /* allow expanding contact info panel on mobile */
    .post .postprofile {
        overflow: visible;          /* if not set, the contact popup is cut off */
    }
    .postprofile dd.profile-rank {
        display: inline-block;      /* allow other elements on same line */
        margin-bottom: 5px;         /* set same as .moreinfo */
    }
    .postprofile dd.moreinfo {
        display: inline-block;      /* allow other elements on same line */
        vertical-align: text-bottom;/* align arrow with .profile-rank text */
        margin-left: 0;             /* remove blank space to the left of arrow */
        margin-bottom: 5px;         /* expand margin slightly to make sure the contact panel starts below the profile icon */
    }
    .postprofile dd.shown {
        display: block;             /* show the dropdown elements after the arrow is clicked */
    }
}
produces:

Seems to work and not break anything in desktop FF and Chrome (when the viewport is shrunk down).

__red__

31 Dec 2019, 18:16

I have to be honest, I really wish that we had this website in usenet format ;)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 May 2020, 12:45

I made some (very small) updates to the theme, please report if you encounter any issue

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Mar 2021, 17:48

Sorry to raise the issue again,
kbdfr wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 08:18
The spy appears to not include posts made in the "Other languages" section.
kbdfr wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 07:25
Obviously the spy function omits posts in the "Other languages" section.
I think it should not.
but is there a reason why the Spy view systematically omits the "Other languages" Section?

Return to “Deskthority talk”