The mystery of DT's new owner - SOLVED

soyuz

18 Nov 2023, 19:49

Full disclosure for whoever is potentially thinking of paying onecommerce, they haven't owned the DT Discord for some time and you wouldn't be getting it as part of the deal. (In actuality the Discord was never able to be sold in the first place, as selling Discord servers is against their TOS)

DT Discord is currently community-owned.

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Nov 2023, 20:16

soyuz wrote:
Full disclosure for whoever is potentially thinking of paying onecommerce, they haven't owned the DT Discord for some time and you wouldn't be getting it as part of the deal. (In actuality the Discord was never able to be sold in the first place, as selling Discord servers is against their TOS)

So I get an email "You got a message on Discord". I click on it, goes to Play Store to install Discord which I didn't have on my phone for years now, and then I read this. :lol: Is that you? What a blow, man. I hope you feel better now. ;)

discord.jpg
discord.jpg (261.27 KiB) Viewed 553537 times

Muirium
µ

18 Nov 2023, 21:37

Ouch! :D
headphone_jack wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 19:47
Here's hoping the site falls under community control again.
Well, it's likely to *fall* off the face of the earth unless we club together and actively do something about it…

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Nov 2023, 00:10

It's as likely to fall of the earth like when you're selling a house and then decide what the hell I'll just demolish it. It doesn't make any sense.

Whatever you think of OneCommerce they never did any evil to Deskthority and are looking for a good buyer instead of tossing it.

VR20X6

19 Nov 2023, 01:13

webwit wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 00:10
It's as likely to fall of the earth like when you're selling a house and then decide what the hell I'll just demolish it. It doesn't make any sense.

Whatever you think of OneCommerce they never did any evil to Deskthority and are looking for a good buyer instead of tossing it.
I'm sure they're looking for just as good of a buyer as you did. And by "good buyer" I mean "whoever is the highest bidder".

wobbled

19 Nov 2023, 01:56

soyuz wrote:

I don’t think anyone wants to buy a discord server lmao, that’s not even relevant to this discussion. It always seems too overly moderated and isn’t a true representation of this forum (imo)

soyuz

19 Nov 2023, 02:22

wobbled wrote:
soyuz wrote:

I don’t think anyone wants to buy a discord server lmao, that’s not even relevant to this discussion. It always seems too overly moderated and isn’t a true representation of this forum (imo)
You say that but the discord was part of the sale to OneCommerce, they just forfeited it by being AFK for over a year.

wobbled

19 Nov 2023, 02:45

soyuz wrote:
wobbled wrote:
soyuz wrote:

You say that but the discord was part of the sale to OneCommerce, they just forfeited it by being AFK for over a year.
Maybe so, but the value of DT is the forum but more so the wiki. The discord server is what I would turn to if the forum finally went down, but to each their own.

Rayndalf

19 Nov 2023, 03:22

Sometimes people join the Discord asking about why forum registration doesn't work (with Gmail domains). That's been a long running problem I'd really like to see fixed.

soyuz

19 Nov 2023, 09:09

wobbled wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 02:45
soyuz wrote:
wobbled wrote:

Maybe so, but the value of DT is the forum but more so the wiki. The discord server is what I would turn to if the forum finally went down, but to each their own.
Either way it's important for people to not sell what they don't have. OneCommerce appear to be totally unaware that they lost control of the Discord so would likely still count this as a part of any future sale.

depletedvespene

19 Nov 2023, 12:30

soyuz wrote:

I don't think the "DT" entity has ever "owned" the "associated" Discord server in the first place. A case could be for the Telegram group, which was explicitly advertised as the "official TG channel"... but it lost that status long ago, and then lost the name as well, so it should be off limits for a potential sale, too.

tinnie

19 Nov 2023, 12:49

depletedvespene wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 12:30
soyuz wrote:

I don't think the "DT" entity has ever "owned" the "associated" Discord server in the first place. A case could be for the Telegram group, which was explicitly advertised as the "official TG channel"... but it lost that status long ago, and then lost the name as well, so it should be off limits for a potential sale, too.
Miguel do you still remember you actively harrassed women there?

depletedvespene

19 Nov 2023, 13:13

tinnie wrote:
Knock your garbage off, you filthy liar. SHAME ON YOU.

tinnie

19 Nov 2023, 13:31

depletedvespene wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 13:13
tinnie wrote:
Knock your garbage off, you filthy liar. SHAME ON YOU.
What a shame 👍

(This post edited by mods, eliminated doxxing contents).

depletedvespene

19 Nov 2023, 13:33

TINNIE, KNOCK YOUR CRAP OFF. You know damn well that was not harassment, while yours (against me and others) IS. Defaming me inside your toxic TG channel is one thing, but bringing it elsewhere is something else. You deserve to be banned for this.

KNOCK YOUR CRAP OFF AND STOP DERAILING THREADS HERE.

tinnie

19 Nov 2023, 13:58

depletedvespene wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 13:33
TINNIE, KNOCK YOUR CRAP OFF. You know damn well that was not harassment, while yours (against me and others) IS. Defaming me inside your toxic TG channel is one thing, but bringing it elsewhere is something else. You deserve to be banned for this.

KNOCK YOUR CRAP OFF AND STOP DERAILING THREADS HERE.
Stop playing the victim card.
Last edited by tinnie on 19 Nov 2023, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.

depletedvespene

19 Nov 2023, 13:59

KNOCK YOUR CRAP OFF.

jae-3soteric

19 Nov 2023, 16:34

Interesting to see this pop back up…

I’m under no NDA so here is what I offered before. I’d be happy to pick up Deskthority for a nominal amount with the intentions of keeping the site alive and going as outlined in the discussion chain from a couple of years ago with Webwit.

Sadly I don’t think the site is worth what it once was based on current activity so it would be a nominal offer of a token amount to provide the community and site the opportunity to continue rather than fade and die; which is what will likely happen if no buyer is found.

I’d make some investment available each year for its continued preservation as I offered before but it’s likely that the current owners would not be interested in that option based on interactions I’ve seen.

Also you lot don’t make it an attractive purchase when you are pointing fingers about shitty behaviour fyi.

https://imgur.com/a/d5acehw

TheInverseKey

19 Nov 2023, 17:54

I have to agree with @jae-3soteric that the site has had a lot less traffic.

Now there are even other wikis that do certain brands of keyboards better than Deskthority. However, some information here is still valuable for the community.

Keeping Deskthority alive would be just to preserve history and not much more than that. The discord server that is separate from the site also has a lot more traffic with new users compared to the site.

Really to breathe new life into a forum today takes a lot of effort and money. Not to mention a dedicated team so that users are actually able to join and use the site... Aka gmail accounts...(It's been over 3 years since this broke) and countless other issues with the backed of the site.

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Nov 2023, 18:47

@jae-3soteric Mate, did you post a private message conversation on DT/imgur? Wow.

TheInverseKey

19 Nov 2023, 19:54

webwit wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 18:47
@jae-3soteric Mate, did you post a private message conversation on DT/imgur? Wow.
Well, I don't condone publishing DMs/private messages, I think that since you got multiple offers from community members at the initial sale of Deskthority and went with the biggest offer really shows what was the real priority...

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Nov 2023, 20:39

Makes it only worse. You don't like someone any longer for whatever reason? Post their PM's! Let this be a warning for everyone who deals with jae-3soteric. Good thing I didn't sell to him.

alas

19 Nov 2023, 20:46

webwit wrote:
Makes it only worse. You don't like someone any longer for whatever reason? Post their PM's! Let this be a warning for everyone who deals with jae-3soteric. Good thing I didn't sell to him.

TheInverseKey

19 Nov 2023, 21:03

webwit wrote:
It's not that they dislike you but rather calling you out on your own hypocrisy. You stated when DT was up for sale the first time it would go to a member in the community clearly that never happened...

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Nov 2023, 21:33

You stated when DT was up for sale the first time it would go to a member in the community.
I did not.

TheInverseKey

19 Nov 2023, 21:38

webwit wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 17:36
Relax, there's plenty of interest, and none of them is stupid - they want DT for its vibe and what it is and don't want to ruin that, and know exactly what would break it.
Well, it's ruined congrats....

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Nov 2023, 22:25

That is not a statement it would go to a member in the community.

Muirium
µ

20 Nov 2023, 01:20

A few posts before that:
Muirium wrote:
28 Feb 2021, 19:05
All very true. There’s a general worry, I suppose, that a bad owner could wreck the joint with ads and paid content. But I’d worry more about plain old indifference. That’s when things are “sunset”, to use the Silicon Valley euphemism for killed.
Cassandra much? :roll:

wobbled

20 Nov 2023, 02:13

webwit wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 22:25
That is not a statement it would go to a member in the community.
The main point being you could have sold to the highest bidder who was also a DT member, not just some asset acquiring startup with too much money to throw around.
Your overall greed is directly responsible for this, but on the contrary, you managed the site by yourself for a very long period of time and any attempt to share out a managing role was met with silence, so I get why you sold it… You just sold it to the wrong person and I can’t see how you can deny that.

ifohancroft

20 Nov 2023, 09:33

I'd love to buy it but unfortunately I can't afford it.
I just hope whoever does, doesn't migrate it to a Discourse type of platform *gagging noises* or migrate the wiki to some shitty third world wiki software attempt.

Return to “Deskthority talk”