The mystery of DT's new owner - SOLVED

Muirium
µ

20 Nov 2023, 10:50

ifohancroft wrote:
20 Nov 2023, 09:33
I'd love to buy it but unfortunately I can't afford it.
I just hope whoever does, doesn't migrate it to a Discourse type of platform *gagging noises* or migrate the wiki to some shitty third world wiki software attempt.
DiscourseThority? I think I'd call it a day here at that point, and thanks for all the fish.

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Nov 2023, 11:13

wobbled wrote:
20 Nov 2023, 02:13
The main point being you could have sold to the highest bidder who was also a DT member
This thread shows exactly why this is worth nothing. First we have the discourse guy who waves the ban hammer if he doesn't like you. You don't want someone like that running a community. Then we have the guy posting private messages if he doesn't like you. Yeah let's hand him a million private messages. You don't want someone like that running a community, dodged a bullet. Would probably read and post other's pm's. Then there's the guy who ironically thinks I'm a hypocrite for not selling to "tHe cOMmuNitY". I gave it away to the community for free (greed...) and it failed because we couldn't get community volunteers. He didn't volunteer, community wasn't interested. But got interested when he could privately own it, not community owned.

Muirium
µ

20 Nov 2023, 14:36

All true. We could have had a lot more painful drama here.

What made the Club fail? I checked out due to bereavement so didn't witness the event. Was it a money thing? Did the transfer of DT's ownership to the Club actually take place? Why was the DT Club wrapped up?

I do remember Matt3o's heroic migration of DT from its original, dead-end phpBB branch to a modern version; and the total redesign he had to pull off, live! That was a magnificent accomplishment. I don't know how dead-end we are, software-wise, now. But he's the reason DT's still running at all.

zrrion

20 Nov 2023, 15:02

webwit wrote:
I gave it away to the community for free (greed...) and it failed because we couldn't get community volunteers.
That's a charitable way to characterize "I left the community, asked other people to do the work of managing it for me, sold that work to the highest bidder and now I only show up when people are complaining about me to refuse to accept any criticism."

The only thing you've done in the last couple of years is hang up a for sale sign. You got more help with doing that than you deserved.

soyuz

20 Nov 2023, 15:06

webwit wrote:
wobbled wrote:
20 Nov 2023, 02:13
The main point being you could have sold to the highest bidder who was also a DT member
This thread shows exactly why this is worth nothing. First we have the discourse guy who waves the ban hammer if he doesn't like you. You don't want someone like that running a community. Then we have the guy posting private messages if he doesn't like you. Yeah let's hand him a million private messages. You don't want someone like that running a community, dodged a bullet. Would probably read and post other's pm's. Then there's the guy who ironically thinks I'm a hypocrite for not selling to "tHe cOMmuNitY". I gave it away to the community for free (greed...) and it failed because we couldn't get community volunteers. He didn't volunteer, community wasn't interested. But got interested when he could privately own it, not community owned.
You're banned on that discord because you can't leave the community you screwed over alone. It is bullshit that you keep popping back up to try and pretend that it was a positive move for the community in any way. It pretty obviously wasn't, seeing as this forum is a dead wasteland now - everything started dying here during the nine months that OneCommerce wouldn't moderate or instate community moderators (or even respond to emails!) and the site was flooded with spam.

You're well within your rights to have sold the forum to whoever you wanted, I don't think anyone disputes that - but you can't expect people to agree with your decision, or indeed like you after what's taken place. I don't think anyone here wants to take part in you LARPing that you did the right thing when the evidence is very significantly weighted against that actually being the case.

The worst part about all of this is frankly that the shambolic corpse lumbers on. If the site had just been obviously ruined or gone offline rather than neglected for years, community archiving efforts might have been able to take over, but it's hard to do that when the site is still up and being bought and sold like a commodity.

I believe the expression is "take the money and run", not "take the money and then linger around moaning about how bad of a time you had and how everyone should like you for taking the money"

Wodan
ISO Advocate

20 Nov 2023, 15:19

God I love a good drama.

DT was long dead before it was sold - the only thing that kept it alive was that "we" handed out 10k US$ artisans once a year to anyone who could win a popularity poll (not me lol)

Can we just enjoy the fact someone is still paying for the servers and feel satisfaction that "we" were an terrible lesson to who ever paid out webwitty?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

20 Nov 2023, 15:24

Hi webwit, thanks again for all the time, the money and the energy you put in DT, thus enabling the community to make it a valuable asset. The time, money and energy others invested in all these years was certainly just a fraction of yours (with one exception on my mind).

By the way, congratulations for selling DT to someone who never tried to use it for their own interest and now even asked you if you are
webwit wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 18:56
[…] interested to buy it back at a lower price. […]
Now perhaps we should start a constructive discussion about buying back DT..

VR20X6

20 Nov 2023, 18:36

webwit wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 11:37
So I've decided to look for a new owner, to do a better job, and matt3o is also helping, and for his efforts will get part of the proceeds. The good news is, we're really looking for a good new owner, and are not desperate to sell to less respected parties because we quickly need money or something like that. If no good new owner is found or if no reasonably price close to market value is offered, probably nothing will happen. I will not rule from the grave, but I expect the new owner(s) to be a good custodian of the forum, and similarly of the open source wiki. There's a lot of content in both which has been provided for enthousiasts by volunteers, and I expect the new owner(s) to understand this geek culture and respect that and not mess that up.
webwit wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 23:51
WhiskyTangoLima wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 23:30
What are your ideal qualifications for a new owner? Not asking personally, more just curious :)
It doesn't work like that, if someone ponies up I shouldn't impose my personal ideals but it's theirs personal ideals. That said, there were unasked offers for DT before from parties just interested in harvesting page views, and they were disposed of. And the reactions from this topic has been from parties who just want the best for DT and might actually bring DT forwards. That's what I'm looking for.
webwit wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 00:18
soyuz wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 21:17
it's almost like selling out a community to a bunch of dweeby get rich quick blockchain man asset strippers was a terrible idea webwit
I can't comment yet on the details of how the sale happened and my motivations why I picked them over others because of a non-disclosure agreement still in effect.
Weird that both your own motivations and their motivations for buying DT were covered by an NDA you signed before sale. I'm guessing none of it was very flattering and you signed it anyway.
Screenshot 2023-11-20 at 11.02.56 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-20 at 11.02.56 AM.png (42.84 KiB) Viewed 314760 times
The last IA snapshot of OneCommerce's website before DT was sold to them (the announcement being on March 15): https://web.archive.org/web/20210311140 ... rce.group/
We're a fast-growing eCommerce & D2C startup based in London
We combine cutting edge data science with a scalable approach with the aim to operate a portfolio of globally competitive premium brands.

Founded in 2021 and well funded, we are looking for extraordinary individuals to join our team and become a leader in our space.
It's funny that is arguably worse than what their website said when people found out about OneCommerce after the fact. Which is something that I remind you happened. There was nothing forthright about OneCommerce being the buyer. The community figured it out on their own because OneCommerce was too incompetent to use an anonymising registrar. You were, however, happy to play along with keyboardjoy larping as a community member that cared about keyboards beyond owning a Cherry MX Blue keyboard [citation needed]. You knew the reality was that he was a C-level exec of a datastripping startup.

The motivation was money. You may weasel around all you want pretending like you thought they were going to be "good custodians" by virtue of paying hosting costs alone, but stop pretending you ever thought they actually gave a shit about DT, and stop pretending you had a good reason to expect it to turn out well but can't say it because "muh NDA". We don't need you to say what your motivations were to know them. You didn't explicitly say you were selling to a DT community member, but any suggestion that OneCommerce actually gave a shit about DT and its community in any capacity beyond as a business asset to leverage is bullshit.

While I wouldn't appreciate someone taking the money and running, I can at least respect someone selling out like this and disappearing since I can understand the motivation underneath and sympathise with them. But the trick here is that they take the money and run. They don't stick around to piss and moan about how nobody appreciates or respects them afterward.

Fortunately your contract stipulating what can and can't be done with DT when selling to OneCommerce also stipulated that the requirements have to be passed forward to any future sales contract. Just kidding. I doubt you had that kind of foresight. Not that you can dispute it, what with that pesky NDA.

TheInverseKey

20 Nov 2023, 19:06

The problem with selling to the highest bidder is that they will want to recoup some money that they paid for their asset. Depending on how much OneCommerce paid for Deskthority will ultimately decide its fate. If they are looking to recoup their entire cost or close to it then it might just have Deskthority rot instead of selling it off at a huge loss for their balance sheet.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

20 Nov 2023, 19:30

VR20X6 wrote:
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
Wow, you registered after DT was sold and your whole contribution to DT in the two years since then is 3 posts in other threads and 9 posts in this one. That's what I call real commitment.
kbdfr wrote:
[…] Now perhaps we should start a constructive discussion about buying back DT..

VR20X6

20 Nov 2023, 19:35

kbdfr wrote:
VR20X6 wrote:
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
Wow, you registered after DT was sold and your whole contribution to DT in the two years since then is 3 posts in other threads and 9 posts in this one. That's what I call real commitment.
kbdfr wrote:
[…] Now perhaps we should start a constructive discussion about buying back DT..
This is a new account registered to keep a single identity with my Discord account, where I moderate the DT discord, you presumptuous cock. I've been around the community since before webwit got himself banned from GH and started DT.

tinnie

20 Nov 2023, 19:42

VR20X6 wrote:
kbdfr wrote:
VR20X6 wrote:
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
[…]
kbdfr wrote:
This is a new account registered to keep a single identity with my Discord account, where I moderate the DT discord, you presumptuous cock. I've been around the community since before webwit got himself banned from GH and started DT.
OK Boomer

kbdfr
The Tiproman

20 Nov 2023, 19:48

VR20X6 wrote:
[…] you presumptuous cock. […]
The explanation would have been sufficient, but if you feel like you have to let off steam, you're absolutely welcome :lol:

By the way, did you post with your other account in those two years, or are these 3 other posts and your rants in this one all you had to contribute?
If you feel like insulting me again for this question, no problem, I love people who cannot control themselves :mrgreen:

soyuz

20 Nov 2023, 20:01

kbdfr wrote:
20 Nov 2023, 19:48
VR20X6 wrote:
[…] you presumptuous cock. […]
The explanation would have been sufficient, but if you feel like you have to let off steam, you're absolutely welcome :lol:

By the way, did you post with your other account in those two years, or are these 3 other posts and your rants in this one all you had to contribute?
If you feel like insulting me again for this question, no problem, I love people who cannot control themselves :mrgreen:
Plenty of us recycle internet identities, me included. Some of us aren't desperate to trade on the currency of being old accounts.

Muirium
µ

20 Nov 2023, 20:18

kbdfr wrote:
kbdfr wrote:
Indeed! Yet this histrionic thread tells me we’re nowhere near that point yet.
tinnie wrote:
20 Nov 2023, 19:42
OK Boomer
All right, that one made me laugh. :lol:
Wodan wrote:
God I love a good drama.
When they’re well written, absolutely. But this one’s by a bunch of hacks! :D
Wodan wrote:
Can we just enjoy the fact someone is still paying for the servers and feel satisfaction that "we" were an terrible lesson to who ever paid out webwitty?
Depends how enjoyable you find a 404 over the whole of Deskthority I guess. It’ll be the punchline that keeps giving. :roll:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

20 Nov 2023, 21:42

VR20X6 wrote:
... I moderate the DT discord ...
:lol:

VR20X6

20 Nov 2023, 22:01

Wodan wrote:
VR20X6 wrote:
The context you left out is that it establishes why this is a separate account with a relatively new creation date. It reduces confusion for people who may know me under this alias there. It's not bragging that I do that moderation. That would be embarrassing.

zrrion

21 Nov 2023, 02:03

maybe ESR will buy deskthority

depletedvespene

21 Nov 2023, 02:04

zrrion wrote:
21 Nov 2023, 02:03
maybe ESR will buy deskthority
C|N>K

Dingster

23 Nov 2023, 12:44

VR20X6 wrote:
20 Nov 2023, 22:01
Wodan wrote:
VR20X6 wrote:
The context you left out is that it establishes why this is a separate account with a relatively new creation date. It reduces confusion for people who may know me under this alias there. It's not bragging that I do that moderation. That would be embarrassing.
Discord moderator :lol:

Easy_Spinach

09 Dec 2023, 13:12

top kek

soyuz

13 Dec 2023, 17:48

here we go, site wobble again - wonder if they'll bother fixing it this time

VR20X6

13 Dec 2023, 21:52

Are there any admins checking mech@deskthority.net since keyboardjoy was reassigned to selling period underpants?

TheInverseKey

14 Dec 2023, 03:32

Core 0 must not be doing so hot.

andj00

14 Dec 2023, 18:10

Anyone in this thread smoke weed?

Vla

14 Dec 2023, 21:48

Website sold yet?

soyuz

15 Dec 2023, 02:05

can't imagine having the site be busted for over 24 hours is very good for the ol' SEO. value slipping away

Dingster

15 Dec 2023, 21:09

andj00 wrote:
only crack

guidemetothelight

16 Dec 2023, 11:37

andj00 wrote:
IMG_5145.jpeg