Moderation Returns to the Badlands of Deskthority

TNT

01 Feb 2022, 17:15

Muirium wrote:
01 Feb 2022, 12:07
I preferred your first pic: Larry, Curly and Moe. ;)
Decided to take a less spiteful approach of making fun of you three ;)

After posting it it seemed a little too disrespectful/mean spirited tbh

kbdfr
The Tiproman

01 Feb 2022, 18:08

TNT wrote:
01 Feb 2022, 17:15
[…] Decided to take a less spiteful approach of making fun of you three ;) […]
Spoiler:
:mrgreen:

TNT

01 Feb 2022, 19:24

kbdfr wrote:
01 Feb 2022, 18:08
Spoiler:
:mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

01 Feb 2022, 20:26

Just terminated a live one while he was spewing hidden link spam all over the forum. Wonder what he’s feeling? Mwhahaha!

How about them beans, son!

wobbled

01 Feb 2022, 21:22

Sign me up if ever the team needs to expand!

Bjerrk

01 Feb 2022, 21:37

Nice! Some good DT related news at last.
But do tell, how did this come about? And will there be merchandise based on each of you? Miniature figurines in the DT shop?

TNT

01 Feb 2022, 21:56

I want a very sinister looking, absolutely scottish Muirium Action-Figure™

Muirium
µ

01 Feb 2022, 21:59

What a terrible idea. Where can I get one?

Oddly enough, the likeness is better than the rest so far in this thread!

The store didn’t come up in our conversation. I wrote about the things that did over on this thread on Nexthority at the time. Posted there to keep the announcement from turning into a continuation of an old flamewar, and hey Nexthority needs some content… ;)

jsheradin

01 Feb 2022, 22:07

Bjerrk wrote:
Nice! Some good DT related news at last.
But do tell, how did this come about? And will there be merchandise based on each of you? Miniature figurines in the DT shop?
I just asked nicely. Made contact, roped in some backup, here we are. Oliver spoke to some of the concerns the community has and was onboard trying to turn things around.

A DT branded llama plush is a nice thought...

kbdfr
The Tiproman

02 Feb 2022, 08:18

Bjerrk wrote:
[…] And will there be merchandise based on each of you? Miniature figurines in the DT shop?
agecanonix.jpg
agecanonix.jpg (39.18 KiB) Viewed 13752 times

Wodan
ISO Advocate

02 Feb 2022, 08:37

„Are we the baddies?“

Wodan
ISO Advocate

02 Feb 2022, 08:38

kbdfr wrote:
02 Feb 2022, 08:18
Bjerrk wrote:
[…] And will there be merchandise based on each of you? Miniature figurines in the DT shop?
agecanonix.jpg
Hahaha love it!

Muirium
µ

02 Feb 2022, 09:20

We’re still workshopping jsheradin’s.

Go-Kart

02 Feb 2022, 21:26

Excellent news. This thread amused me greatly.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

02 Feb 2022, 22:12

Wunderbar! kbdfr was basically a mod back in the day by stomping down anything that was too dumb. Glad to hear this news!

mmm

02 Feb 2022, 22:30

Wonderful news. It's been quite nice being able to look through the spy and not have to mentally filter out a bunch of spam posts, thank you for doing this! The site looks alive now! :D

Muirium
µ

02 Feb 2022, 22:39

Dont think I didn’t see what you did there!

Incidentally: I’ve had so many more requests from you guys to join the moderator squad these last two days than actual spam posts to delete, it fair brings tears to my manly, not at all sentimental eyes. ;)

ZedTheMan

03 Feb 2022, 00:18

Well I'll be, I didn't expect anything to actually happen. Maybe things will turn around for DT yet, hmm? And an excellent group, I must say!

Would have applied to be a janitor earlier. Now, I don't have the time or energy, I'm boring and sit with my collection, speaking to the better keyboards as if they are my children. The keyboards which displease me, I say to them "No, you will not get used today!".

Muirium
µ

03 Feb 2022, 11:49

The next thing I'm weighing doing is updating the header images a bit. Some real nice ones have never entered the actual rotation. I'll look into how to do it (and if I'm allowed) when I've time to poke about.

ifohancroft

03 Feb 2022, 14:49

Awesome job guys! That's great news. I was literally saving up money for a new domain where I was planning to (hopefully be able to somehow backup the forum and wiki) upload a backup of the forum and wiki on (Because I believe any possible Deskthority continuation should be using phpBB and MediaWiki).

Now if we can also get an admin that's given server access that would be awesome!

Btw Mu, you said Oliver is ok with the wiki being backed up, how about also getting forum backups made available, just in case?

Also, if we can do something about the store... that would be awesome. I am not opposed to there being a store but it should be something we are proud of, not a store selling shirts saying 'Switch to MX'. The products should be veto'd by the community.

P.S. Since we are talking figurines - I'd like a Mu bobblehead, thank you very much!

Lalaland124

03 Feb 2022, 14:55

ifohancroft wrote:
Awesome job guys! Now if we can also get an admin that's given server access that would be awesome!

Btw Mu, you said Oliver is ok with the wiki being backed up, how about also getting forum backups made available, just in case?

Also, if we can do something about the store... that would be awesome. I am not opposed to there being a store but it should be something we are proud of, not a store selling shirts saying 'Switch to MX'. The products should be veto'd by the community.

I'm currently running a backup on the DT wiki. So far I've archived about 45GB of data and it has taken the program roughly around 7 days. If Oliver doesn't want a local copy to exist I will obviously delete it right away. If the copying proofs to be successful I will try doing the same with the forum as well.

Would also love to see a community based merchandise :D

ifohancroft

03 Feb 2022, 15:03

Lalaland124 wrote:
ifohancroft wrote:
Awesome job guys! Now if we can also get an admin that's given server access that would be awesome!

I'm currently running a backup on the DT wiki. So far I've archived about 45GB of data and it has taken the program roughly around 7 days. If Oliver doesn't want a local copy to exist I will obviously delete it right away. If the copying proofs to be successful I will try doing the same with the forum as well.

I think backing up the forum would be harder, because unlike MediaWiki, phpBB doesn't provide a method for backing it up without server access. If you have come up with a method that would work, that would be awesome.

Hopefully, things would actually change for the better and we won't need those backups though.

P.S. I'd like to apply for a mod as well. Not sure who's taking the applications though :D

mmm

03 Feb 2022, 17:40

Lalaland124 wrote:

(Not a lawyer not legal advice) Legally speaking, nobody can stop you from having local copies. Only when it comes to redistribution there is rules that can be broken, if anybody wants to contest it. Usually website owners only have a problem with the process of backing up a webpage, since it uses up server resources. Local copies are good!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

03 Feb 2022, 18:07

ifohancroft wrote:
[…] I am not opposed to there being a store but it should be something we are proud of, not a store selling shirts saying 'Switch to MX'. […]

Muirium
µ

03 Feb 2022, 21:15

So, you wanna be a moderator? How about a challenge?

See this list? Me and Agecanonix have found many spam accounts by searching, slicing and dicing it today. I must have just deleted ten of them. (And found some delightful oddballs along the way.) But I also deleted two full page ads for utter garbage, too, written like DT itself condones it and containing our harmless replies as dim witted comments.

You know those spammy usernames when you see them, and that fly by night spammer modus operandi. Prove your skills by finding some and linking the posts right here! May the best mod win!

Honestly, some of the posts I’ve found make me think the spanner sometimes just forgets to come back to edit in the payload. :roll:

depletedvespene

03 Feb 2022, 21:24

Muirium wrote:
So, you wanna be a moderator? How about a challenge? See this list? Me and Agecanonix have found many spam accounts by searching, slicing and dicing it today. I must have just deleted ten of them. (And found some delightful oddballs along the way.) But I also deleted two full page ads for utter garbage, too, written like DT itself condones it and containing our harmless replies as dim witted comments.

You know those spammy usernames when you see them, and that fly by night spammer modus operandi. Prove your skills by finding some and linking the posts right here! May the best mod win!

Honestly, some of the posts I’ve found make me think the spanner sometimes just forgets to come back to edit in the payload. :roll:
I would bet that we could catch many spam attacks if there were a way to set up two (custom) alerts:

1) Necroposting (although there WOULD be not few false positives).
2) Edits to posts older than, say, two weeks.

Muirium
µ

03 Feb 2022, 21:25

That latter one is the mother lode. If I could find that damn list somewhere, I’d go mashing balls till there ain’t no balls to give!

We could really use a way to search for posts with that helpful “last edited by” footer. Any timeframe would do. Because that’s his MO, absolutely.

ifohancroft

04 Feb 2022, 03:12

Muirium wrote:
So, you wanna be a moderator? How about a challenge?

See this list? Me and Agecanonix have found many spam accounts by searching, slicing and dicing it today. I must have just deleted ten of them. (And found some delightful oddballs along the way.) But I also deleted two full page ads for utter garbage, too, written like DT itself condones it and containing our harmless replies as dim witted comments.

Thanks! That sounds fun! Will check it out tomorrow

Muirium
µ

06 Feb 2022, 12:49

Could swear it's been days since I last saw—and killed—any spam on here at all. What a turn-around…

Ghost town? We got our mojo back!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

06 Feb 2022, 13:51

Muirium wrote:
06 Feb 2022, 12:49
Could swear it's been days since I last saw—and killed—any spam on here at all. […]
Same here, and the mod log proves it.
It’s as if the spammers had noticed that now it’s not going to be that simple for them any more.

Return to “Deskthority talk”