Anti-spam

tactica

25 Mar 2024, 13:09

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2165690

Phpbb can be configured to automatically flag the first N posts from a new account as moderated so DT can be spared the embarrasment of looking like a new heaven for spambots. Of course this change must be done by an administrator.

Muirium
µ

25 Mar 2024, 13:24

Hmm. I’m not instinctively in favour of this. It breaks the instant reward for real users who have just signed up so they can post something, as their post will have to wait for a moderator to show up. And you know a good way to get a mod to sign in? Seeing spam in the forum spy! :lol:

Meanwhile, it wouldn't hurt the sneaky kind of regular spammers we get here who post something innocuous so that they can edit spam in later. We're pretty good at screening them out already.

If the forum were much higher traffic, maybe something like this could help. I think its effect on newcomers outweighs the need for it, though. Do we really leave spam up for long now? Is it that offensive a presence in the meantime till we whack it?

tactica

25 Mar 2024, 14:03

I don't remember seeing spambots here doing their thing back when I joined (2015). Dunno if that's because moderators were more active back then or because the site was configured differently. Regardless, speaking as a user I don't like seeing it because it makes the forum look like it's being run carelessly. The fact that you seem to be the only active moderator ATM makes it easy for them too: plenty of time to hit knowing their sh*t will stay for hours.

An alternative would be a bot that automatically moderates posts based on certain words, but that could easily backfire. I still think my proposal is best, one or two moderated posts won't put off any legit user who cares, especially if they are warned about it. It would also spare us the "innocuous" posts like the one you mention.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

25 Mar 2024, 16:34

tactica wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 14:03
[…] you [Muirim] seem to be the only active moderator ATM […]
There are actually three of us (Muirium, jsheradin and myself) relentlessy screening DT for spammers (or prospective spammers) based on certain criteria. This has resulted in several dozens of obviously non-legit new accounts being banned in the last few weeks alone.

tactica

25 Mar 2024, 17:57

kbdfr wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 16:34
There are actually three of us (Muirium, jsheradin and myself) relentlessy screening DT for spammers (or prospective spammers) based on certain criteria. This has resulted in several dozens of obviously non-legit new accounts being banned in the last few weeks alone.
Ah, glad to hear it. I see jsheradin is located in the USA so at least theoretically not only the day time frame in Europe is being watched. I feel moderately safer now ;)

Return to “Deskthority talk”