Tandy 1000 Keyboard

OldIsNew

29 Dec 2017, 23:40

I'm still in mourning over the demise of Radio Shack so when I see one of their boards that looks reasonable, I'm inclined to pick it up. This is a Tandy 1000 Personal Computer keyboard. No date stamps on this one. It's a 3rd generation Fujitsu leaf spring switch board, and although the case is a bit on the lighter side, I think it's pretty nice overall.
orig_sm.jpg
orig_sm.jpg (410.69 KiB) Viewed 5126 times
back_sm.jpg
back_sm.jpg (263.77 KiB) Viewed 5126 times
pulled_keycap_sm.jpg
pulled_keycap_sm.jpg (160.06 KiB) Viewed 5126 times
case_open1_sm.jpg
case_open1_sm.jpg (478.22 KiB) Viewed 5126 times
Back of front plate:
front_plate_back_sm.jpg
front_plate_back_sm.jpg (400.83 KiB) Viewed 5126 times
front_plate_back2_sm.jpg
front_plate_back2_sm.jpg (211.47 KiB) Viewed 5126 times

PCB:
PBB_front_sm.jpg
PBB_front_sm.jpg (651.6 KiB) Viewed 5126 times
PCB_Back_sm.jpg
PCB_Back_sm.jpg (590.38 KiB) Viewed 5126 times
Wired up the Teensy and using it now.
teensy_sm.jpg
teensy_sm.jpg (508 KiB) Viewed 5126 times
finished_sm.jpg
finished_sm.jpg (298.83 KiB) Viewed 5126 times
The switches are linear and smooth. I have one other FLS 3rd gen board that has the clicky variety of switch that I think I like a little better, but overall I think this one would definitely make a reasonable daily driver.

Daniel Beardsmore

30 Dec 2017, 00:02

You may be able to date it approximately from the ICs, but I can't quite make out all the writing on them.

Elrick

30 Dec 2017, 00:38

OldIsNew wrote: The switches are linear and smooth. I have one other FLS 3rd gen board that has the clicky variety of switch that I think I like a little better, but overall I think this one would definitely make a reasonable daily driver.
Always jealous of those that can convert any older keyboard, to use on today's PC hardware.

Good that these keyboard's get to be re-used again by someone who loves them ;) .

Chyros

30 Dec 2017, 00:47

These are among the more common FLS boards, but sadly, like almost all of them, it's not easy to adapt. Naturally, I'm not surprised at all that you managed to somehow xD .

These switches are excellent, though. I always find it a joy to use them ^^ .

Sangdrax

31 Dec 2017, 06:19

I feel you on Radioshack. Last thing I got from them was a nice soldering station and a bunch of electronic and wire goodies when they were going out of business here earlier this year. I like the board and the layout. A little more color and it would be absolute top tier.

OldIsNew

02 Jan 2018, 18:45

One thing that was a bit of a pain with converting this board was the lack of diodes and the fact the shift keys were on the same columns as several alphanumeric keys.

My other FLS 3rd gen board has diodes for each switch:
Another FLS 3rd gen board
Another FLS 3rd gen board
switches2.jpg (289.05 KiB) Viewed 4973 times
The Tandy 1000 doesn't:
Tandy 1000
Tandy 1000
PBB_front_sm.jpg (264.58 KiB) Viewed 4973 times

I guess the original IC handled this, but since I just wired up the bare matrix, it caused problems with simultaneous key presses on the same column. I don't use my boards for gaming so I don't get hung up on NKRO, but I do like to be able to type a capital "C" with either shift key. So I wired diodes to the shift keys and the alphanumeric keys on the shift key columns - a bit of a pain because each switch has four contacts. Three of these are continuous with each other representing one switch terminal, the fourth representing the second terminal of the switch. On some switches the three represent the row terminal and the fourth the column terminal, but on others it's the other way around - and PCB traces often run though the contacts.
contacts_labeled3.jpg
contacts_labeled3.jpg (122.93 KiB) Viewed 4973 times
So as much as I don't like messing with original PCBs too much, I did some trace cutting and bridging and added diodes to the shift keys and the alphanumeric keys on those columns (and wired up the Caps Lock and Num Lock LEDs):
Diode on Left Shift key (black and white wires to Caps Lock LED)
Diode on Left Shift key (black and white wires to Caps Lock LED)
diodes8_labeled.jpg (294.09 KiB) Viewed 4973 times
Alphanumeric key on Shift key column
Alphanumeric key on Shift key column
diodes5a_sm_labeled.jpg (153.71 KiB) Viewed 4973 times
Kind of messy, but it works.

Chyros

02 Jan 2018, 19:01

Yeah, that IS strange - my Tandy 3000 board DOES have diodes for each switch.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

02 Jan 2018, 21:51

Good stuff as usual OldIsNew, FLS 3rd gen switches still rank as one the smoothest of all in my book.

hellothere

13 Jul 2020, 22:27

Hey, folks.

I was able to acquire one of these; same model, no diodes, s/n is 10748x. Other than the fact that it's bright yellow, it's in perfect shape. Can you give me some additional pointers on where to start on the Teensy and whatever other parts I need? I haven't done anything with a Teensy before, but I have done a bit of electronics a long while ago.

I'm not really worried about NKRO, either, I just want to be able to type.

Return to “Keyboards”