looking for advise regarding 60% -75% keyboards

StressedOutCat

01 May 2013, 22:59

Hi am new here and I'm looking to buy a new mechanical keyboard
I was hoping to get some feedback from people regarding some keyboards that am currently still deciding on.

*Filco Majestouch MINILA
*Noppo Choc Mini
*Keycool 84
*KBT Race

mainly so far am leaning towards the Filco Minila because its short length design has arrow keys and comes in black
and Filco build quality is usually second to none.
the only downside is the non standard key caps... so if i ever wanted to replace the key caps at a later date it would be almost impossible to replace them all due to the weird form factor.

the Choc Mini was my first choice because of the layout.
but then I found out that only the white version comes with PBT plastic caps, and i would prefer a black keyboard with either PBT or ABS plastic keycaps.
and also because of the weird space-bar size it would be hard 2 replace all key caps on this keyboard.

the Keycool 84 & KBT Race I don't know much about yet
only thing I do now is the key caps size seem more normal compared to the other two keyboard.
the only downside is neither seem to be readily available for purchase in Europe.

thanks in advance for your feedback!

sordna

02 May 2013, 02:25

Muirium
µ

02 May 2013, 11:03

I'm also looking into my first compact mechanical keyboard. You've already found most of the list of options, and figured out their downsides. I'd throw in the KBC Poker as an option, too; it's a real favourite around here.

But the one I'm keeping my eye on is the Ducky 60%. Ducky Nordic is nothern Europe's Ducky distributor and he keeps a thread here on Deskthority. This is his latest 60% tease:

It won't ship with those keycaps, or even that colour of case, but he sells all sorts of things and knows just what we're after! He designed the (ISO) European layout of this one himself, and kept the keys standard sizes from what I can tell. It looks to be a great piece of work, and it has a fully user programmable layer too.

Beyond all of the above, there's also the ultimate compact in something other than Cherry MX. The legendary HHKB. (With a price tag to match.) If you think replacement caps are a problem on the Minila, you should see these.

StressedOutCat

02 May 2013, 11:21

Thanks for the Feedback

The TEX Mini seems interesting.
anyone has had any experiance using that?

The KBT Race and the Pure Pro seems to have painted clear keycaps?
I seen several pictures of people posting where the paint was starting to come off..
doesnt really instill my confidence in the build quality of KBT.

I seen the tease pictures of the Ducky 60%
but I'm looking for keyboard with dedicated arrow/keys
So unless the final version comes with arrow keys.... I'm not interested.

Muirium
µ

02 May 2013, 11:33

Right, I think that means you're specifically after a 75% rather than a 60%. Unless I'm wrong about the terminology.

By the way, about materials. The black Choc Mini is POM. POM is no "worse" than ABS or PBT. It's just different, and, actually, between the two so I've heard. I'm into PBT so I'd prefer POM to ABS. But then I'll know more once my sample kit arrives from Mr.Interface.

About the "painted clear" keycaps, that's new to me. As far as I know, caps wear by losing their surface texture over time, and turn shiny. But this is just a surface thing. Backlight compatible keys are opaque and etched by laser to show their legends. The body plastic itself is not transparent.

StressedOutCat

02 May 2013, 12:56

well maybe its not fully clear to me but this is basically what I found
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40393.0

I did find a KBT race with PBT keycaps and no lights
but seems that one was only available with MX white switches :(
http://kbtpure.com/kbtpure/kbt-race/kbt ... -ansi.html

Muirium
µ

02 May 2013, 13:08

That is the exact KBT Race I would get. MX white and PBT are both appealing to me. But yes, choice is always better. It's just unusual that white is even an option, let alone the only one!

As for the GH thread, it's still just a surface thing. Too much wear, that's for sure, but that's why I like PBT. ABS is the place to go for gloss, shine and ugly wear.

I'd like to see those worn keys backlit though.

StressedOutCat

02 May 2013, 13:49

never really tried MX white switches before
only Blue, Black, Reds and Brown
with Blue being my favorit so far.

Muirium
µ

02 May 2013, 14:23

Whites are pretty rare. (I'm looking forward to trying them out along with clears, Topre, Omrons and other oddities.) They sound quite interesting.

StressedOutCat

02 May 2013, 14:51

thats interesting, thanks for your feedback

That narrows my choice between the KBT Race with PBT Caps and MX White switches
and the Filco Minila with MX Blue.
Already sent the KBTpure.com message just to check if they are still active and if by chance they have it also in MX blues.

mashby

02 May 2013, 20:17

StressedOutCat wrote:The TEX Mini seems interesting.
anyone has had any experiance using that?
I have a pre-production model arriving today for me to play with some more, but I did an inital impression review over on GH that includes a video.

Overall, it's a nice board. The switches are plate mounted and the plate is mounted to the top of the keyboard, which is made of aluminum. Rumor has it that they may come out with an aftermarket aluminum bottom as well.

StressedOutCat wrote:The KBT Race and the Pure Pro seems to have painted clear keycaps?
I seen several pictures of people posting where the paint was starting to come off..
doesnt really instill my confidence in the build quality of KBT.[/url]
That was only on the Special Edition Race that came in Pink and White. That specific release was plagued with issues. I have one and the case is starting to chip a little bit.

StressedOutCat wrote:I seen the tease pictures of the Ducky 60%
but I'm looking for keyboard with dedicated arrow/keys
So unless the final version comes with arrow keys.... I'm not interested.
If you have to have arrow keys, then the Race, Pure Pro, or Beetle are going to be good choices. You'll have issues with replacement key caps with any board that you choose out of that lineup, but if it were my money, I'd go with the Beetle. It's the best made out of the bunch.

Muirium
µ

02 May 2013, 20:30

It's certainly a looker. My complaint with the TEX Beetle is that for a keyboard with difficult keys to replace, they don't have a PBT version. Backlighting's not an issue, they just pulled a Filco.

IvanIvanovich

02 May 2013, 20:32

If you go for minila you could always go for JIS version. It has no weird size keycap for their normal row besides the space bar. If I was going to get one it is what I would do.
Though if I wanted cursor keys on a small board the Leopold FC660 would be my first choice.

Muirium
µ

02 May 2013, 20:37

Said Topre switched Leopold. It's certainly new, let's put it that way. Waiting on the review.

Oh and everything we've said about difficult to replace keycaps. Yeah. That and then some!

StressedOutCat

02 May 2013, 22:23

mashby wrote: I have a pre-production model arriving today for me to play with some more, but I did an inital impression review over on GH that includes a video.

Overall, it's a nice board. The switches are plate mounted and the plate is mounted to the top of the keyboard, which is made of aluminum. Rumor has it that they may come out with an aftermarket aluminum bottom as well.
Cool initial review!
my only problem with that keyboard is initial availability here in Europe.
only place that I can find that even sells it is mechanicalkeyboards.com
and they don't have it in stock.

I have also noticed the Leopold FC660C & FC660M
these also seem great, but these seem even rarer online than the Tex Beetle.

So far the only two keyboard I found
is the Filco Minila and the KBT Race with PBT caps
and on the latter choice.. I'm not even sure if the site that sells them is still even active. http://kbtpure.com/

mashby

02 May 2013, 22:52

StressedOutCat wrote: my only problem with that keyboard is initial availability here in Europe.
only place that I can find that even sells it is mechanicalkeyboards.com
and they don't have it in stock.
Yes the Beetle that I tested was a prototype and they are just releasing their first keyboard now. MK.com is their US distributor, but I don't know who is handling distribution for them in Europe. They are on Facebook though, so it may be worth asking them there:.

StressedOutCat wrote: So far the only two keyboard I found
and on the latter choice.. I'm not even sure if the site that sells them is still even active. http://kbtpure.com/
Forgot about the Minila, that's a good option too. KBTPure.com is the Euro distributor for Vortex, so they'll be getting the Pure Pro soon as well.

Muirium
µ

02 May 2013, 23:55

StressedOutCat wrote:So far the only two keyboard I found
Yes, the site does look like it's half dead. I asked about this in the French subforum recently (en Anglaise !) and mlevain reports they're still active. Just a little sleepy…

If they don't answer, there is always Amazon. Well, "Mister Deal" who seems to be the one and only seller from where I'm looking anyway. Seems to be the same guy!

StressedOutCat

03 May 2013, 00:37

mashby wrote: Yes the Beetle that I tested was a prototype and they are just releasing their first keyboard now. MK.com is their US distributor, but I don't know who is handling distribution for them in Europe. They are on Facebook though, so it may be worth asking them there:.
I have sent messages to both tex-design.com.tw and KBTpure.com regarding availability.
If I don't hear back I'll simply go with with my First choice the Filco Minila

I'll update this post (or create a new one) regarding Europe distribution of Tex beetle
if get a positive answer.

thanks again for your feedback guys!

StressedOutCat

03 May 2013, 12:30

Quick update:

I have had word back from tex-design.com
they did say that there is no European distributor currently, but they are in contact with keyboardco.com :)

they also said that they would sell one directly but am waiting for full quote with shipping cost.

Muirium
µ

03 May 2013, 13:11

Nice! Do pass along the details, as I'm also rather fond of that keyboard. What switches are on offer?

Without a distributor, shipping and taxes will be a pain though. Hopefully they'll sort that out before long.

StressedOutCat

03 May 2013, 13:55

Muirium wrote:What switches are on offer?
they seem to offer default MX switches
so blue, black, brown and perhaps red?
am not sure about more exotic switches like green and white
http://tex-design.com.tw/product_manual.html

there also seems to be a Backlit version (LED) in the works
but that not finished yet.

they would let me know about the shipping cost sometime next week.

Muirium
µ

03 May 2013, 14:44

Yeah, the traditional switches are what I expected. (Just making sure blue's in there!) The exotics are typically set aside for various "special edition" revamps of older keyboards. Something to juice up fresh interest, along with differently coloured cases and keycaps. So a brand new design like this is often bare bones when it comes to options.

Backlight tends to mean lasered ABS caps only. So I tend to be against them. Ducky Nordic says his backlit 60% (which uses the individual key LEDs during programming) is still good with PBT — you can see the glow, just not the legend on the key — which is fine for me as I have a thing for blanks in any case.

Return to “Keyboards”