Installing LED in normal Blackwidow.

ripster

01 May 2011, 20:08

I have now been called....
the number one mechanical keyboard expert on Planet Earth
so please don't disagree with my wikis unless you are from another planet. Not Pluto either. That no longer counts.

The Solutor

01 May 2011, 20:22

ripster wrote: Not Pluto either. That no longer counts.
We have a culprit for this: Mike Brown (nicknamed Death Star :lol: )

http://sendawa.com/science-technology/t ... brown.html

webwit
Wild Duck

01 May 2011, 20:49

Show us your beam spring keyboards, expert. By the way, do DataHands still scare you?

ripster

01 May 2011, 20:52

He was Hungarian. I doubt he'd include The Nederlands or Italy in that planet earth thing.

webwit
Wild Duck

01 May 2011, 21:15

Here is a video of ripster carefully soldering a control ship onto a pcb by his own design, for use by the ripster mini keyboard.

MartZink

01 May 2011, 21:20

The Solutor wrote:
MartZink wrote:Should I connect the LEDs directly to the USB power, or should I connect them to the PCB LED rail?

If I connect it to PCB, then I will still be able to use the 5 light modes right?

Use the already made led rail, then follow the rail that already powers the single led present and try to understand where they need to be interconnected.

Likely there will be a place to put a resistor or a jumper.
As I thought then, thanks :)

Also, I looked around a bit for custom keycaps, kecapsdirect is quite expensive I've heard if I want to have a custom keycap.
Anyone who knows around how much it would cost to order a few keycaps from there? Or do the price depend a lot on how it's made?

Sorry if that have been asked hundreds of times, but hey I'm a noob so it's okay right? :D

webwit
Wild Duck

01 May 2011, 21:40

Quantity. One set costs almost as much as 10. Setup costs. I don't remember exactly the last time I saw a complete quote, but I think one set was like $900. But at a hundred, you're down to only tens of dollars per set. The group buy guys will be able to give you a more accurate answer.

MartZink

01 May 2011, 21:44

webwit wrote:Quantity. One set costs almost as much as 10. Setup costs. I don't remember exactly the last time I saw a complete quote, but I think one set was like $900. But at a hundred, you're down to only tens of dollars per set.
:( Okay, then I'll skip that.

But it would be fun to have this as an F13 button:Image

The Solutor

01 May 2011, 22:22

ripster wrote:He was Hungarian. I doubt he'd include The Nederlands or Italy in that planet earth thing.

Likely. Hungary was not discovered by an Italian and named after another Italian, like America.

Also Budaspest is not named after a third Italian like the city where you live... :mrgreen:

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

01 May 2011, 22:29

webwit wrote:Image
We salute you, magic Greenock thingy... whatever it is that you do.

webwit
Wild Duck

01 May 2011, 23:21

MartZink wrote::( Okay, then I'll skip that.

Was talking about a complete keyboard set though, not a single key.

IanM

01 May 2011, 23:39

The Solutor wrote:Hungary was not discovered by an Italian and named after another Italian, like America.
There is a compelling theory that America is named after a Welshman, Richard Amerike. Some people believe this to be more likely as it would be very unusual for a country to be named after the Christian name of someone who wasn't a monarch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Amerike
http://www.uhmc.sunysb.edu/surgery/america.html

This information may not help you change the LEDs in your keyboard...

MartZink

01 May 2011, 23:49

webwit wrote:
MartZink wrote::( Okay, then I'll skip that.

Was talking about a complete keyboard set though, not a single key.
Yes I know, but still.

The Solutor

02 May 2011, 00:01

IanM wrote:
The Solutor wrote:Hungary was not discovered by an Italian and named after another Italian, like America.
There is a compelling theory that America is named after a Welshman, Richard Amerike. Some people believe this to be more likely as it would be very unusual for a country to be named after the Christian name of someone who wasn't a monarch.
Like Colombia and Columbia, you mean ? ;)

BTW is always interesting to read about those alternative story, likely are just retrofitted but still interesting.
This information may not help you change the LEDs in your keyboard...

Well the LED, unlike the incandescence lamp or the phone, was invented in America w/o any doubts, so America matters to have a backlit keyboard :lol:

IanM

02 May 2011, 00:19

The Solutor wrote:Like Colombia and Columbia, you mean ? ;)
yes, so if Amerigo Vespucci is really the origin of the name America it should be Vespuccia. Of course nobody can prove anything so it's just a bit of trivia to be debated by academics.

The Solutor

02 May 2011, 00:46

IanM wrote:
The Solutor wrote:Like Colombia and Columbia, you mean ? ;)
yes, so if Amerigo Vespucci is really the origin of the name America it should be Vespuccia.

I don't know how Vespuccia sounds for an English ear, in Italian sounds very laughable, maybe was the case at the time...
Of course nobody can prove anything so it's just a bit of trivia to be debated by academics.
Of course.

IanM

02 May 2011, 16:07

The Solutor wrote:I don't know how Vespuccia sounds for an English ear, in Italian sounds very laughable, maybe was the case at the time...
America definitely sounds better. Vespuccia sounds a little strange, but perhaps not as funny as it might to Italians.

The Solutor

02 May 2011, 17:57

Vespuccia would mean "little/tiny/tender wasp" or "little/tiny/tender vespa" (intended as the well known motorscooter).

Not the best to define a big continent, i presume.

kps

03 May 2011, 16:47

webwit wrote:Pah, you don't even know what those metric symbols mean on that fluke. Don't you measure in Imperial eel electromotive force or something?
We in the British Empire and former Colonies and Dominions measure potential difference in (tons per Faraday)(miles per hour)², which grants us a vastly better intuitive understanding than the opaque "Volt" of the French system.

ripster

03 May 2011, 18:42

Hah. Everybody knows American Engineering the best in the World.

The Solutor

03 May 2011, 18:50

kps wrote: We in the British Empire and former Colonies and Dominions measure potential difference in (tons per Faraday)(miles per hour)², which grants us a vastly better intuitive understanding than the opaque "Volt" of the French system.

Metric system is so boring... :lol:

Julle

03 May 2011, 20:20

ripster wrote:Hah. Everybody knows American Engineering the best in the World.
Yes, absolutely splendid, sir!

Raembo

05 Dec 2016, 00:15

hi guys,
my first post here,

sorry to necro an old thread...

but I'm asking the same question as the OT, was wondering if he is any successful and was wondering if he can put up a guide or something...

thanks in advance

Return to “Keyboards”