Razer releases "razer-brand" Cherry switch clones

cookie

07 Mar 2014, 16:11

BlueBär wrote: Best thing about that is that it is very well within the ±0,6mm pretravel tolerances :lol:
man this is ridiculous...
I will never ever buy a Razer product again!

Muirium
µ

07 Mar 2014, 16:49

Same here. You should see my beard.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Mar 2014, 17:11

Muirium wrote:Same here. You should see my beard.
oh gosh... this is the equivalent of

scottc

07 Mar 2014, 19:18

HAHAHA. Fantastic :lol: :lol:

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Mar 2014, 19:23

But the Cherry Blue already has perfect actuation distance, according to Razer.
http://www.razerzone.com/minisite/blackwidow/faq
How can you improve perfection??

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Mar 2014, 19:26

webwit wrote:But the Cherry Blue already has perfect actuation distance, according to Razer.
http://www.razerzone.com/minisite/blackwidow/faq
How can you improve perfection??
perfection can be improved with Chuck Norris.

edit: nice find btw :)

Kurk

07 Mar 2014, 21:21

matt3o wrote:...
perfection can be improved with Chuck Norris.

cookie

07 Mar 2014, 22:28

Hahahahaha well played Sir!

ohrenstein

08 Mar 2014, 00:01

Cherry MX switch >50m x Cherry ML switch >20m x Razer/Khail <60m

fruktstund

08 Mar 2014, 13:34

So did anyone mention Kailh? :D

noobie94

08 Mar 2014, 16:02

Inb4 most sold keyboard world wide :cry: :cry:

IanM

08 Mar 2014, 16:28

matt3o wrote:I stopped listening at "our scientists"... really?
I'm about 95% sure they pinched that line of marketing directly from Roccat, which is in itself pretty amusing

Julle

08 Mar 2014, 17:17

It's funny how switch life expectancy is a selling point for keyboards in which the switches are the least likely component to crap out.

I'd much rather see one of these in their marketing:
"Our keyboards aren't soldered by underqualified and sorely underpaid people in what you might call slavery".
"We don't use MDF for PCBs"
"Our diodes aren't the cheapest shitstains you can find on the market"
"We have actually developed a switch that isn't a Cherry clone"

adhoc

08 Mar 2014, 19:23

noobie94 wrote:Inb4 most sold keyboard world wide :cry: :cry:
Most sold mechanical keyboard worldwide, almost certainly. Sadly.

cinnamoncider

10 Mar 2014, 01:03

imQi

10 Mar 2014, 01:15

The switches are made by kaihua/kailh, you can find logo
on it.

Vierax

10 Mar 2014, 01:50

Muirium wrote:
cookie wrote:
BlueBär wrote: Best thing about that is that it is very well within the ±0,6mm pretravel tolerances :lol:
man this is ridiculous...
I will never ever buy a Razer product again!
Same here. You should see my beard.
I missed that, Muirium you're impossible :lol:

Dubsgalore

10 Mar 2014, 04:26

using monstercat in their video....how dare they...

but seriously, just looks like Kaith clones and a decrease in quality is all

cookie

10 Mar 2014, 11:01

Muirium wrote:Same here. You should see my beard.
Ohhh man, now I got it :D Hahahaha

Muirium
µ

10 Mar 2014, 11:49

My jokes are as inscrutable as they are lame. Perfect!

Monkay

10 Mar 2014, 13:21

That took me way too long to get your joke. Good one.

Grendel

11 Mar 2014, 01:30

The only thing Razer is good at is marketing. Everything else about them and their products is shady at best. I just pity the fools that get suckered into buying this crap. :(

noobie94

11 Mar 2014, 10:02

What if this switch is actually good? :o

davkol

11 Mar 2014, 10:34

Then it's still Razer, although 3rd parties may supposedly get those switches as well.

Muirium
µ

11 Mar 2014, 10:44

Kailh makes the switch. The photo up this page shows their logo clearly. So others likely can use it. But Kailh isn't exactly known for making quality switches. They're just a cheap cloner, after all.

What you're seeing here is good marketing. Razer decided to downgrade to a lesser switch. Should they hide the fact? Or apologise? Of course not! Hype it up, take ownership of the move, and fill the air with artful bullshit. Competent marketers they have there. All hail the downgrade, it's awesome!

cookie

11 Mar 2014, 12:38

I don't want to shelter Razer, but could it be that they are pissed because Cherry MX is frequently out of supply?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... TY-g#t=132

If you are the main sponsor of several Pro Gaming teams, you need to cut cost, sell garbage to kids and make them believe they are using superior hardware... Just for curiosity I serched today for defective "Gaming" mouse on ebay, the first 5 Results were Razer products...

As Mu said, they are only good at marketing, thats all but at the end of the day you bought overpriced crap :/
I feel sorry for everyone who bought this board for the price of a Cherry MX board...

Muirium
µ

11 Mar 2014, 12:45

I congratulated their marketing, but I'm not qualified to judge their actual hardware. Never owned a single Razer. Their reputation doesn't exactly urge me to try them out!

But good point about switch supply. Kailh could be much better for Razer. They're hungry for big name customers, and can be talked into making new stem colours as seen here. That kind of thing, as well as the lower price of course, would have led Razer to the decision to switch switches. Then they handed the news down to their marketers and told them to make it pretty.

"Our experts have spent years on this project: to make the perfect switch…"

davkol

11 Mar 2014, 12:57

Truth be said, their marketing is outright lying. I wish someone would sue their asses off, it's the only thing they deserve.

cookie

11 Mar 2014, 13:02

Razer for my taste is a double edged sword, I never liked their keyboards and they have a rather bad reputation when it comes to reliability. I think they were one of the first companys who went back from optical mousewheel encoder to a (cheap) mechanical one... When the Deathadder came out, they used cheap ass TTC microswitches and rotary encoder.
Their stuff is notorious to break fast :/
Almost everyone I know had trouble with Razer mice and all of them went back to Logitech, because they last.

The only thing I give them credit for is the Deathadder, for me one of the best forms for a mouse.
No bullshit buttons, no horizontal scroll bullshit on the mousewheel, no DPI switch... just 2 thumb switches thats all.
I love the MX518 for its build quality and the missing "Bullshit" but It's hard to get used to the form.
I love the IE3 for its form and also no "Bullshit" features here, but the build quality is shit... so the DA is somwhere in between.

Edit:
I totally agree with davkol, good marketing is one thing but straigt up lies are total different storry :(

Julle

11 Mar 2014, 20:57

noobie94 wrote:What if this switch is actually good? :o
I guess no-one is questioning the performance of the switch itself - after all, it's based on arguably one of the best switches in the world (by which I mean it's blatantly copied).

I've had major issues with Razer products before, and I can safely predict that Kaihl switches will outlast the board on which it's mounted.

The issue at hand is Razer's bullshit. It makes me cringe almost fatally when they claim that this switch was developed by a scientist. In the scientific world, copying someone else's work and then calling it your own is called plagiarism.

Then they claim that a 0,3 mm reduction in the actuation point is making the switch significantly better for gamers. I mean, if they think that Cherry switches are intended solely for typing, why on Earth did they base their "own" switch on those switches?

Then they claim that a gamer's skills are not important, but the tools that gamers use.

Instead of all this nonsense they could have just said "Hey bitches, we are out of switches. We need a steadier and cheaper switch supplier. Deal with it." I'd be glad if they did.

Return to “Keyboards”