What is the Best Out-of-the-Box Keyboard?

Hypersphere

27 Dec 2015, 17:02

Being keyboard enthusiasts, we like to modify our keyboards in various ways -- switching keycaps, lubing stabilizers and/or switches, swapping cases, changing controllers, altering layouts, installing O-rings or Silencing Rings, ....

However, if you had to choose a keyboard that you were constrained to use "as is" right out of the box, what would it be? Is there any keyboard for which the manufacturer has gotten things at least acceptably right without user intervention?

For me, there are two that come to mind:

the IBM SSK (although I wish it were a Model F) [this is a phone pic made by Muirium]
IBM_SSK_Mu_PhonePic.JPG
IBM_SSK_Mu_PhonePic.JPG (221.9 KiB) Viewed 5952 times
and the HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (although I would prefer a black case option).
hhkb-type-s.jpg
hhkb-type-s.jpg (106.88 KiB) Viewed 5952 times
There are two more that should soon be available: Ellipse's brand new F-62 and F-77 boards.
Last edited by Hypersphere on 27 Dec 2015, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.

zslane

27 Dec 2015, 17:44

None.

My two favorite keyboards don't have keycaps that I want to type on right out of the box, which disqualifies them. But aside from the keycaps, I feel that the Filco Majestouch-2 (ANSI 104) and the Pok3r best meet my needs (I have two of each in daily use).

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

27 Dec 2015, 17:48

zslane wrote: None.
My opinion also, although I would say that the highest quality build of all the "new" keyboards I have tried is the Leopold FC660C.

Laser
emacs -nw

27 Dec 2015, 18:01

Well, speculating here (since the "glittering prizes" formula doesn't seem to work in real life :P ), I think I wouldn't have any problem with a pristine, unmodded RealForce TKL.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Dec 2015, 18:10

Filco TKL is pretty vanilla and well built. I could live with it.

JanitorJoe

27 Dec 2015, 18:36

I would say a Model F AT with the only drawback being that the HHKB ruined the Backspace position for me (and I guess having to connect via PS/2).

HHKB Pro 2 is a close second, but being a 60% I would miss having custom layers more with it unmodded than I would the AT (which I still haven't gotten around to modding). And Ellipse's replica F62 would be near perfect for me unmodified, but it feels like cheating to include a xwhatsit controller out-of-the-box. That's not fair to the competition!

Hypersphere

27 Dec 2015, 19:14

Whereas I cited the IBM SSK, this would have been fine before I tried the HHKB Pro 2, but now I would need to remap the SSK to a HHKB layout. The HHKB Pro 2 Type-S comes closest to working out of the box for me; it has my favorite form factor and layout, excellent keycaps, and it is already silenced (although I prefer the result with my own Silencing Rings and lubing).

k.t

27 Dec 2015, 20:37

The best out of the box that I've used would be the novatouch, but the caps aren't exceptional on that. My guess would be for any realforce keyboard; hard to go wrong with stock layout, topre, and decent caps.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

27 Dec 2015, 20:41

FC660C anytime, SSK isn't produced anymore! :D

Hypersphere

27 Dec 2015, 20:54

ramnes wrote: FC660C anytime, SSK isn't produced anymore! :D
Good point about the SSK! I suppose getting one from Cindy or eBay that is NIB doesn't count if we regard "out of the box" meaning something that can be purchased new today through a conventional outlet.

That narrows the field for me all the more to the HHKB Pro 2 Type-S.

What will we do when Ellipse's new F62 and F77 keyboards are ready? Although these are custom boards in a way, quite a few duplicates will be made. I would be inclined to count these. If they are at least as good as refurbished originals, I suspect that the F62 might dislodge the HHKB as my best pick.

Khers

27 Dec 2015, 20:58

For me it's easy: HHKB Pro 2 Type-S. The only keyboard I'm currently using completely as is. And I'm 100% satisfied.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

27 Dec 2015, 21:35

I really can't stand HHKBs diamond arrow cluster. This is almost the only thing I don't like on that keyboard... too bad.

Madhias
BS TORPE

27 Dec 2015, 21:46

Realforce 87 in your preferred color! Good caps, great tactility, and satisfying sound. It may be boring for some, but I never felt that I should mod anything on this keyboard!

Khers

27 Dec 2015, 21:55

The HHKB diamond arrows are the best!

Hypersphere

27 Dec 2015, 22:44

ramnes wrote: FC660C anytime, SSK isn't produced anymore! :D
I really can't stand HHKBs diamond arrow cluster. This is almost the only thing I don't like on that keyboard... too bad.
Yes, especially the most recent version of the FC660C has very nice keycaps. If you like the layout and form factor, the FC660C is an excellent out-of-the-box keyboard.
It is good to have so many options. For me, the HHKB cursor diamond is perfect.

davkol

29 Dec 2015, 14:45

That's a tricky one—depending on what's still "out of the box".

For example, I'm using a Noppoo Choc Mini right now, and it's basically as it came, except I've swapped some keycaps around in order to block light from stock indicator diodes, that are way too bright blue. If I were to use this keyboard full-time for typing, I'd swap the J keycap (with a homing bump) with K and remap right-hand-side alphas to get more hand separation and easier access to Enter, right Shift, AltGr etc. You can already call that a modification.

Either way, I think Matias Ergo Pro looks like a reasonable compromise out of the box.

Hypersphere

29 Dec 2015, 15:06

For those who like Cherry mx switches or Gaterons, the KC60 provides an economical out-of-the-box package. The keyboard is completely programmable and includes attractive dye-sublimated PBT keycaps. The switch tops can be removed without desoldering unless you have the LED option.
kc60.jpg
kc60.jpg (91.24 KiB) Viewed 5776 times

pcaro

29 Dec 2015, 16:29

Hypersphere wrote: For those who like Cherry mx switches or Gaterons, the KC60 provides an economical out-of-the-box package. The keyboard is completely programmable and includes attractive dye-sublimated PBT keycaps. The switch tops can be removed without desoldering unless you have the LED option.
kc60.jpg
Is possible buy it? Only available in massdrop when drop active?

I am i nterested. It's a good 60% to begin with.

Hypersphere

29 Dec 2015, 17:01

@pcaro: I got my KC60 through Massdrop. The base price was $75, which is a good value. Unfortunately, as far as I know, Massdrop is currently the only way to get a new KC60. A large number of people have requested another drop for this keyboard, so you might watch the Massdrop site for an announcement.

codemonkeymike

29 Dec 2015, 21:00

None :(

I ruined myself with matrix keyboards, a perfect out of the box keyboard for me would have to be split, matrix, dampened cherry browns with gateron stems, and some SA keycaps. Which will never happen, it is already impossible to get a fully assembled ergodox with decent keycaps so I am SOL. The closest thing would probably be an infinity ergodox or a fully assembled plank both are only available through group buys.

Jaraxte

29 Dec 2015, 21:15

I've used a Filco TKL for about 4 years now (MX Reds) but it's had KBC PBT keycaps on since day one. I'd probably be able to live with the stock ABS caps though, so I'd vote for it.

I've been using a HHKB Pro 2 for the past few days now. Love the switches, not too sure on the layout as of yet. Finding the function layer a bit aggravating at times, but it's a pretty drastic change overall so I'm giving it some time.

Based on my liking of the Topre switches though, I could see a RF 87U being a great out of box contender to the Filco.

Hypersphere

29 Dec 2015, 23:03

@Jaraxte: Perhaps the most intuitive aspects of the HHKB layout are the Backspace directly above the Enter key and the Left Ctrl in place of the CapsLock.

The arrow or cursor keys usually are the hardest part of the adjustment, but if you give it some time, you may discover that the cursor diamond is quite intuitive and its location is well suited to using the little finger on the right hand for Fn and the right-hand index and middle fingers for the keys corresponding to the cursor diamond.

The HHKB layout works so well for me that I remap my other keyboards in this way.

snoopy

30 Dec 2015, 00:27

Realforce 87U.

20 years ago I would have choosen the SSK.

jerue

30 Dec 2015, 03:40

Realforce 87u 55g's are what I have always recommended...sadly the only true OOB board I have now is a SSK.

Imagine if we had a silent FC660C...

Jaraxte

30 Dec 2015, 03:59

Hypersphere wrote: @Jaraxte: Perhaps the most intuitive aspects of the HHKB layout are the Backspace directly above the Enter key and the Left Ctrl in place of the CapsLock.

The arrow or cursor keys usually are the hardest part of the adjustment, but if you give it some time, you may discover that the cursor diamond is quite intuitive and its location is well suited to using the little finger on the right hand for Fn and the right-hand index and middle fingers for the keys corresponding to the cursor diamond.

The HHKB layout works so well for me that I remap my other keyboards in this way.
Yes, I have found those two particular things fairly straight forward.

My difficulties thus far are with the reversal of the ALT and Windows(/Meta) key positioning, and realizing just how much I used the arrow keys, del key, and page up/down without realizing. While re-learning these locations hasn't proven to be a huge hassle, having these on a secondary functional layer may not be a good fit for me in the long term. Only time will tell!

Hypersphere

30 Dec 2015, 15:27

@Jaraxte: On the HHKB, there is a DIP switch setting for exchanging the positions of the Alt and Meta (Win) keys.

@pcaro: The KC60 is now available on Massdrop. They say that this will be limited to 73 keyboards and they have already sold out many of the popular options. However, I think that the most important feature of this keyboard is its complete programmability, which is present in all of the versions being offered.

zslane

30 Dec 2015, 19:32

The drop for the KC60 didn't have a single option for Gateron or MX reds and No LEDs. Wut?

The Pok3r is programmable too; what makes the KC60 a better choice? What, exactly, does "complete programmability" mean? Can it be programmed to send keycodes to an iPad for operations like the home button, the lock/sleep button, search, select all, etc.?

The drop also didn't say what material the case is made out of. The Pok3r has an aluminum case; is that true for the KC60 as well?

I'm basically trying to determine if/how the KC60 is better than the Pok3r(s) I already have for connecting up to an iPad.

czarek

30 Dec 2015, 21:07

To me it would currently be KBP V60. The layout is fantastic, modifiers can be customized with DIP switches to the point I no longer need to remap anything in OS, and the selection of switches and features (Cherry, Gateron, Matias, backlight red/green/blue, no backlight) makes it fittable into anyone's needs.

Oh and don't forget you can get a fully custom keyboard out-of-the-box too in some places (like GON, or FalbaTech).

SL89

30 Dec 2015, 21:09

Hands down, best out of the box keyboard, for me, is the WASD Code. MX Green or Clear (tho they did add Brown recently) nice backlighting, good quality all around. Also the stock lasered caps have a bad rep, they are totally usable for a daily driver. I used mine until I got replacements.

Muirium
µ

30 Dec 2015, 21:13

Lots of support here for boards with shite caps, eh?

Correct answer: HHKB or Realforce, depending on layout taste. The thread is titled "best" not "meh", you know!

Return to “Keyboards”