First mech keyboard

sprax2102

17 Jan 2016, 20:50

Hey guys, I'm new here and I'm tired of my Dell keyboard and I want a new one, so I have been search a lot and I want a Full size or tkl, with red or black switches and I will use it for games and code, the price must be between 80-100 euros, what are the best keyboards in the market?
Thanks for ur time and have a nice day

P.S sorry for my bad english

Muirium
µ

17 Jan 2016, 20:52

A lot of the good stuff isn't MX at all.

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/at- ... 12441.html

sprax2102

17 Jan 2016, 20:56

but what do u recommend for the first keyboard?

Wilkie

17 Jan 2016, 20:59

First decide about full size or TKL. If you don't need full size, with a TKL you might appreciate being able to position your mouse closer to the keyboard (if you mouse right-handed) or more desk space.

sprax2102

17 Jan 2016, 21:08

that's the problem, i dont really know what should i chose between tkl or full size, i just want the numpad and i want leds too

EDIT: i have decided and i want tkl, what do u have for advice?

sprax2102

18 Jan 2016, 09:04

What tkl with black or red MX switches below 100 euros, for gaming and code, if possible with LEDs if possible, you can advice me

ImbaHue

18 Jan 2016, 10:02

CM Storm Quickfire TK maybe?

suclearnub

18 Jan 2016, 14:58

ImbaHue wrote: CM Storm Quickfire TK maybe?
The TK has that weird bottom row... it's strange.

sprax2102

18 Jan 2016, 17:25

Hm, i m not sure it is really good?

Parjánya

18 Jan 2016, 17:49

try checking some keyboards in a store if possible, no amount of description elucidates as much. Also some people in the portuguese forum are organizing a meeting in Lisbon, and they are going to bring keyboards, it seems: http://deskthority.net/portugues-f88/pr ... 11579.html

(gente, quantos portugueses por aqui : o ) / gosh, so many portuguese around!)

sprax2102

18 Jan 2016, 22:16

i dont know what to get, if asus echelon or corsair k65

ohaimark
Kingpin

18 Jan 2016, 22:21

I'll be selling a Quickfire TK with MX Reds soon.

sprax2102

18 Jan 2016, 22:22

right now i'm undecided between echelon and k65

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

18 Jan 2016, 22:33

sprax2102 wrote: EDIT: i have decided and i want tkl, what do u have for advice?
Maybe a IBM SSK :) .

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

18 Jan 2016, 22:46

hypkx wrote:
sprax2102 wrote: EDIT: i have decided and i want tkl, what do u have for advice?
Maybe a IBM SSK :) .
While that's a great keyboard, sprax2102 would have to actually find an SSK first of all and then that will not be cheap. If you don't mind Cherry MX the Filco Majestouch 2 is a pretty good TKL with lousy factory keycaps but those can be changed later.

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Filco_Majestouch

Muirium
µ

18 Jan 2016, 22:50

SSK? Absolutely!

It's a dumb sounding piece of advice. "How the hell do I get one of those? And why does it look so old and funky?" But at the end of the day, the SSK is the definitive TKL and I love mine to bits! Took an age to find one, though. Dead ends in China until Cindy came along…

As for new keyboards: the Realforce 87U is the best of the best. And costs just as much as you'd think. (Which is less than a Filco and a round of switch mods and aftermarket caps! It's a shortcut to greatness, plus you get a better keyboard at the end. Now I'd better put on my flame suit as the MX guys open up.)

flabbergast

18 Jan 2016, 22:57

I personally like the way I've taken, well, if you don't mind buying and selling off for a while. Starting with "cheap" cherries, then ALPS, then Topre and Buckling spring (still have to find that one to try). Ah yes and before Mu&the pack stone me, I know that there are others. I'm just not a millionaire.

It will make you appreciate the "good" switches way more, and you'll find your preferences as well. But be prepared to sink quite some money into this pit.

Laser
emacs -nw

18 Jan 2016, 22:59

seebart

18 Jan 2016, 23:04

Well it's really just a matter of $$$ isn't it?

Bolt modded NIB SSK @ US $499,00 Ca. EUR 455,62:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/NEW-IBM-Model-M- ... SwwbdWGa1T

:shock: :x :|

Muirium
µ

18 Jan 2016, 23:06

Hey, I got my SSK for $25! And my NIB SSK for $150.

No self respecting Scottish cheapskate is going to pay full whack GH price, you know.

seebart

18 Jan 2016, 23:09

Muirium wrote: Hey, I got my SSK for $25!

And my NIB SSK for $150.
Trust me, those were very favorable "one time" deals that took place in the cheaper past! No one is finding a NIB SSK for 150 outside of Cindy's magic hauls these days. Not even on taobao anymore.

photekq
Cherry Picker

18 Jan 2016, 23:14

seebart wrote: :shock: :x :|
I still think that a masterful bolt mod performed by 1avidcollector is worth at least $200.. I don't have an issue with that price.

Muirium
µ

18 Jan 2016, 23:16

Indeed. But making out that it's the price of entry for SSK ownership is bullshit. You know, much like my bullshit that every Filco keyboard needs the price of nice dyesubs or doubleshots costed in up front! I mean the longer you stay on DT, the more true it is…

seebart

18 Jan 2016, 23:23

photekq wrote:
seebart wrote: :shock: :x :|
I still think that a masterful bolt mod performed by 1avidcollector is worth at least $200.. I don't have an issue with that price.
Really? Good thing I paid less for Madhias masterful bolt mod and the SSK combined.
Muirium wrote: Indeed. But making out that it's the price of entry for SSK ownership is bullshit. You know, much like my bullshit that every Filco keyboard needs the price of nice dyesubs or doubleshots costed in up front! I mean the longer you stay on DT, the more true it is…
Sure. Same old story.

Return to “Keyboards”