Alps Appreciation

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

29 Feb 2016, 23:14

Muirium wrote:
Blaise170 wrote: Haha my phone doesn't focus in very well at that close of distances. :lol:
Photography protip: look at your pictures after shooting them.
I took a bunch of pictures and this is the best of them all. ;) I wish I could afford a real camera though.

Muirium
µ

29 Feb 2016, 23:21

Fair enough. Phones can be a total bastard, close up.

alh84001
v.001

02 Mar 2016, 10:35

ReleaseCandidate wrote:
Chyros wrote: I see... That's good to know actually because I thought that they were pretty much useless other than for inventory left/right in Heretic
They (and braces) are the only reasons to use ANSI layout at all.
Well ANSI is suited to other IT tasks as well (or is it the other way around?). Slash (unix path separsator), backslash (escaping in strings or paths), pipe (well, piping :)), singe and double quote (literall text in almost everything) are all found in that cluster between alphas and mods.

That's why I switched from my local layout. And It's a reason for people here not to write language-specific diacritics at all in non-formal and semi-formal communication.

KRKS

02 Mar 2016, 13:13

alh84001 wrote:
ReleaseCandidate wrote: And It's a reason for people here not to write language-specific diacritics at all in non-formal and semi-formal communication.
That used to be the case here too until a misunderstanding you want to avoid became popular.

"X robi ci łaskę" - X gives you an unwilling favour
"X robi ci laske" - X gives you a blowjob
("robi" actually means "makes" but I think both of those things use "gives" in English, correct me if I'm wrong)

Since then most people in here started caring about diacritics.

courtesi

02 Mar 2016, 19:38

Speaking of Alps, Does anyone know how to get a hold of hasu on GeekHack without becoming a member to that site?

Muirium
µ

02 Mar 2016, 19:43

He also uses DT. Same username. Try PMing him here.

courtesi

02 Mar 2016, 20:02

Muirium wrote: He also uses DT. Same username. Try PMing him here.
Sent! Thanks!

jacobolus

02 Mar 2016, 22:34

Hasu is also on IRC, in the #deskthority and #geekhack channels on the irc.freenode.net server.

courtesi

02 Mar 2016, 22:58

I got in touch with hasu. Basically I asked him if he would be able to add SMK support to his 60% and was told the demand was too small; which I can understand.

Since he provides everything needed in a Ki-Cad file how difficult would it be? Is it simply a matter of adding holes and traces to them?

Even though I'm a primary buckling springs user I am missing the SMK Whites from time to time.

fohat
Elder Messenger

02 Mar 2016, 23:49

courtesi wrote:
Even though I'm a primary buckling springs user I am missing the SMK Whites from time to time.
White SMKs are very nice and under-appreciated.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

02 Mar 2016, 23:51

fohat wrote:
courtesi wrote:
White SMKs are very nice and under-appreciated.
I'd love to try any SMK's, they are pretty rare around here. :roll: One switch still on my list.

Firebolt1914

03 Mar 2016, 14:10

I need to get so many things for some alps experiments. So little money :cry: so many experiments :cry:

I need a white alps keyboard, and like 5 spare blue alps switches. I also need an ultrasonic cleaner, molybdenum disulfide, and some matias clicky switches :|. If anyone wants to do these experiments for me, please feel free.

Take apart and clean white alps with the ultrasonic cleaner, then swap the leaves with the matias leaves. lube with molybdenum disulfide, and compare to blue alps.

If not similar, at all, swap out the blue alps springs to the modified white alps.

If not similar at all, test the plastic composition with a burn test.

If the switches do feel similar at point 1, I might start modifying and selling these switches :evilgeek:

I should also start a gofundme for this, I'm a broke student with no alps at all

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

03 Mar 2016, 14:24

I've tried roughly similar before with less than desirable results.

Also just won one of these in a Japan auction. Could be linear SKCL Greens or Grays... And look at those caps. :lol:

Last edited by Blaise170 on 03 Mar 2016, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

03 Mar 2016, 14:24

Nice toilet seat.

Chyros

03 Mar 2016, 14:27

Blaise170 wrote: I've tried roughly similar before with less than desirable results.

Also just won one of these in a Japan auction. Could be linear SKCL Greens or Grays... And look at those caps. :lol:

Wow, you can instantly tell that was used by someone who buys Apple stuff :p .

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

03 Mar 2016, 14:31

Actually not the same picture from the auction but the real one suffers from "sellers can't take pictures of inanimate objects" syndrome.

Firebolt1914

03 Mar 2016, 14:33

Blaise170 wrote: I've tried roughly similar before with less than desirable results.

What in my 'experiment' is different than your trials?

fohat
Elder Messenger

03 Mar 2016, 14:36

What the hell is that thing?

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

03 Mar 2016, 14:40

It's a limited edition (about 100 were made) of the Filco Stealth FKB-92ERG. It's a vintage ergo made for Apple ADB systems. From what I've seen on various Japanese blogs, they either contain Greens or Greys.

seebart

03 Mar 2016, 14:43

Blaise170 wrote: Also just won one of these in a Japan auction. Could be linear SKCL Greens or Grays... And look at those caps. :lol:
:o :shock: :lol:

Gold MEMBER! S C H W I N G!

Oh shit we need to add that to the DT wiki for sure! :mrgreen:

snuci
Vintage computer guy

03 Mar 2016, 14:49

Please dismantle it as fast as you can before it multiplies! :)

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

03 Mar 2016, 14:54

Ha it'll be a couple of weeks until it gets to me since EMS is too expensive for my tastes. Unless EMS ends up only being a few dollars more.

ohaimark
Kingpin

03 Mar 2016, 14:57

That is the most ostentatious thing I've ever seen on this forum. I have no further words.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

03 Mar 2016, 15:00

ohaimark
Kingpin

03 Mar 2016, 15:02

Even a spill guard couldn't repel the homoerotic passion of that keyboard.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

03 Mar 2016, 15:17

:lol:

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

03 Mar 2016, 15:22

*magic wand*

:lol:

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

03 Mar 2016, 16:20

A close up of the silver version:

seebart

03 Mar 2016, 16:25

Oh god. :? :| That old MacOS logo on there makes it really perverse. :maverick:
Last edited by seebart on 03 Mar 2016, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

03 Mar 2016, 16:25

Was this sold to ergonomic rappers or something?

Return to “Keyboards”