n00bie here need some help for some potentially custom build

sirdudeguy

12 May 2016, 22:15

nvm...
Last edited by sirdudeguy on 13 May 2016, 19:29, edited 2 times in total.

chzel

13 May 2016, 00:27

Hi, welcome, and to start off, try to write in whole words if you want anyone to bother reading it.
The link for your layout is broken, try that again.
And take baby steps.
Starting your journey with a custom pcb for a custom layout with per switch RBG backlight is a recipe for disaster.
Get a cheap-ass G80-1800 from cumb.de or a G80-3000 and see how you like the layout, and mainly the switches. Try to find and test other switches (tactile, clicky, buckling spring, etc) to find out what you like best. Then, after you have found your general preference, you can start thinking about a custom.
Check if you can have the layout you want with a Phantom, and if not, then start to learn PCB design, and get a budget together, and start designing your own PCB. And be prepared to spend quite a bit.
Up to....
Spoiler:
200px-Drevil_million_dollars.jpg
200px-Drevil_million_dollars.jpg (6.55 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
ONE MILLION DOLLARS... :evilgeek:
Mechanical master race out...

scottc

13 May 2016, 00:39

i don't know how you expect us to follow your really long run on sentences it's like you don't really know how punctuation works and it just makes the whole post really hard to follow so i do not know if anyone is going to read it but i know i'm not it's just too hard it's just too difficult the sentences are just too long do you know what i mean i know what i mean but do you know what i mean

Please don't say "ascend", it's really embarrassing...

For a serious reply to your post, please see chzel's post...

chzel

13 May 2016, 00:53

scottc wrote: i don't know how you expect us to follow your really long run on sentences it's like you don't really know how punctuation works and it just makes the whole post really hard to follow so i do not know if anyone is going to read it but i know i'm not it's just too hard it's just too difficult the sentences are just too long do you know what i mean i know what i mean but do you know what i mean
That's all you can do? Weak...at least substitute rly for really...

scottc

13 May 2016, 00:58

I tried rly hard...

Muirium
µ

13 May 2016, 01:01

way 2 much sense in these replies master keyboard racists ur going 2 have 2 do much better 2 ascend 2 the lvl of consciousness flow needed 2 answer a question posed in the joycean manner beholden here b4 our eyes where no man steps in2 the same river twice, natch

fohat
Elder Messenger

13 May 2016, 02:32

Why would a noob even consider a custom build?

That would seem to be a last resort to be considered only after trying dozens of existing configurations.

Muirium
µ

13 May 2016, 02:40

I dived right into customs when I was new, too. Because you don't know what you don't know. Y'know?

Ray

13 May 2016, 14:13

The thing is, if he (thinks) he knows what he wants, building it is a good thing to get started in building the thing. At least that's what I did and only two years later I am back to new prototypes. Trying stock solutions wasn't very productive.

But I guess that's not the problem the OP has. He just needs a stock keyboard with working punctuation. As a start; to write text that may be read by others.

fohat
Elder Messenger

13 May 2016, 14:22

I tried out a bunch of keyboards, mostly bought on the cheap or salvaged, and slowly accumulated a feeling for what I liked and what I didn't. I didn't even worry with opening anything up and working on it until I had figured that I appreciated it enough to invest the time and effort that would be required to refurbish it.

Later, as I settled on certain models and attributes I spent more time at the workbench tweaking them.

But, I have never felt the need for a configuration that is not (or has not been) sold commercially.

Ray

13 May 2016, 15:02

Well, after trying staggered rows the first time, I knew there are not many boards sold commercially that I would really like.
If there was a keywell scissor switch board, I would be all over it, I guess. Divers bunch of people here ;)

Return to “Keyboards”