KEYTRONICS KB3270 PLUS PROFESSIONAL SERIES MICRO-TO-MAINFRAME KEYBOARD

Battlefieldium

12 Sep 2016, 00:08

What switches are these, im not having any luck on google. I found one for 325 USD on Ebay but it does not really specify the switches. And are these really that expensive?

Im asking because of someone near me is selling but the info is kinda low, so im looking for any kind of information about this keyboard.
Attachments
Screenshot_20160911-234347.png
Screenshot_20160911-234347.png (2.33 MiB) Viewed 3551 times

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

12 Sep 2016, 00:17

325 is WAY too expensive. 25 should be more like it. Keytronic had three switches that we know of:

wiki/Category:Key_Tronic_switches

None of them are really great although Key Tronic magnetic reed is interesting. That keyboard will likely have Key Tronic dome with slider or Key Tronic foam and foil. Why do you want it?If you really want to buy a 122 key "battleship" keyboard I suggest looking for a IBM Model F 122.

http://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/kb3270.html

Welcome to DT!

ohaimark
Kingpin

12 Sep 2016, 00:54

The font tells me that it's probably foam & foil, which is an awful switch.

Don't do it.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

12 Sep 2016, 03:41

If its a foam and foil board, and it probably is judging by its looks, I wouldnt pay $3.25 for it, let alone $325.

Chyros

12 Sep 2016, 04:04

Very unlikely magnetic reed, doesn't look anywhere near old enough. I suspect foam and foil, though it could also be dome with slider. The foam and foil switch is often regarded as one of the worst switches ever made.

Findecanor

12 Sep 2016, 15:11

With a terminal keyboard, you can't always be sure that it could be connected to a PC. It could speak some arcane proprietary terminal protocol.

The foam provides a very mushy landing. It also deteriorates over time, so there is a risk of a keyboard not working.
I would not say that it is one of the worst switches ever made, though. If it hadn't been for the foam, it would actually be quite pleasant to type on and the keycaps are often double-shot moulded (but don't fit anything else...).

I once had a working foam-and-foil keyboard and I could not give it away because no collector wanted it. I donated only the foam pads to someone who was restoring an old system (Apple Lisa maybe, I don't remember).

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

12 Sep 2016, 20:51

That's right if the foam is deteriorated due to it's age the whole keyboard becomes useless. Do yourself a favor and don't buy that.

rootwyrm

13 Sep 2016, 15:23

One, that's a PC keyboard. It requires a special driver for the additional scan codes. That's it. It was specifically made so a PC could be used as a mainframe terminal, the end. Some of them are serial to ease the driver stuff, but it's not common in Keytronics.
But it's a foam-and-fail board, and one of the worst they made. $3.25? This thing isn't worth $0.32.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

13 Sep 2016, 15:35

There's always a 1% change it has blue Alps!

Findecanor

13 Sep 2016, 16:44

The indicator lights on the Caps Lock and in the corners of the Num Lock and Scroll Lock match Key Tronic foam-and-foil.

rootwyrm

13 Sep 2016, 22:22

Wodan wrote: There's always a 1% change it has blue Alps!
Not this model. Look at the topmost row and numlock LED. Double-wides and the indicator's top-right. Plus the stepped Ctrl row; presence of Alt and AltGr means it was definitely for PC-as-terminal.

terrycherry

14 Sep 2016, 09:29

Battlefieldium wrote: What switches are these, im not having any luck on google. I found one for 325 USD on Ebay but it does not really specify the switches. And are these really that expensive?

Im asking because of someone near me is selling but the info is kinda low, so im looking for any kind of information about this keyboard.
Yes, it's Key Tronic foam and foil[(Tactile)Type1,(Tactile)Type1 LED] AT keyboard
I have one. Can sell it to you for half price including shipping fee.
02.jpg
02.jpg (71.39 KiB) Viewed 3239 times

Return to “Keyboards”