Flaky Focus FK-2001

Hypersphere

01 Oct 2016, 19:16

I just received a Focus FK-2001 keyboard. This is the model with the US layout and no Windows keys. It is XT/AT switchable and has white Alps swtiches. The keyboard appears to be in pristine condition.

I connected it to a PC running Windows 10 using an AT to PS/2 adapter and active (blue cube) PS/2 to USB converter. The keyboard switch is in AT mode.

Initially, the keyboard seemed to work okay. However, if I hit Num Lock or Scroll Lock, the keyboard stops working -- none of the keys registers. I have to disconnect and reconnect the keyboard to get it working again. Sometimes CapsLock causes the keyboard to stop registering as well, but not always.

My adapter and converter are okay because I can connect other AT keyboard with them and they work just fine.

Any ideas what could be causing this behavior and how the problem could be solved?

Thanks!

ohaimark
Kingpin

01 Oct 2016, 19:46

That's odd. Do you have a Soarer's converter to test it with as well?

If the lock switches are the only things acting up I'd say it's power or controller related...

If the LEDs are causing a current spike it could cause the controller to have a "brown out" event, crashing the keyboard. Alternately, the controller itself could be failing.

I advise opening it up for a manual solder joint and capacitor inspection. If you feel daring, desoldering the LEDs and testing the keyboard could disprove one of my theories.

Hypersphere

01 Oct 2016, 20:43

Thanks for the diagnostic tips. I do have a Teensy rattling around in a drawer somewhere. I also have some breadboards and resistors Mostly I am just curious. The keyboard is usable as it is -- I rarely use any of the lock keys. This keyboard was relatively inexpensive and -- don't tell Chyros! -- I got it mainly as a source of white Alps switches for other projects. I can't get any serious typing done with that Focus layout! ;)

ohaimark
Kingpin

01 Oct 2016, 21:41

No problem, sir. At least the keyboard is pretty, even if it's not daily driver material.

chiptea

01 Oct 2016, 23:01

I've had the same problem with my FK-2001 when using a blue cube adaptor as well. I'd press caps lock and the keyboard would die. Plugging it into a ps/2 port fixed the problem, so there's that. I think it's just a quirk that all FK-2001s have, and it's not that yours is broken.

Hypersphere

01 Oct 2016, 23:19

@chiptea: Thanks for this observation! I think that I have a computer with a PS/2 port so that I could give this a try. I will also try a different converter to see if this helps.

UPDATE: Thanks both to chiptea and ohaimark, I have found a solution to the problem, even if I do not quite understand what the problem was.

First, I tried using an Adesso active PS/2 to USB converter instead of the blue cube. With the Adesso, I couldn't get the keyboard to register at all.

Next, I found that I had an Orihalcon/Soarer PS/2 to USB converter. This worked! Now, Caps Lock, Num Lock, and Scroll Lock all work. The LEDs light up and I can toggle the lock switches on and off without disconnecting/reconnecting the keyboard. I am typing this on the Focus FK-2001.

It's actually not such a bad keyboard. The switches and keycaps look as if they were brand new. If only it had a standard US ANSI layout!

ohaimark
Kingpin

02 Oct 2016, 00:39

That narrows down the issue to power or some quirky bit of signaling from the FK, I think.

Next time I acquire one I'll run some tests. :ugeek:

Chyros

02 Oct 2016, 15:15

I have the exact same issue on my P70 keyboard, though it appears to be unfixable for that, possibly due to it handling lock lights in a different way. The blue cube is a crock of shit that people would do well to avoid. Glad you got it working, and now take good care of that little baby ;) .

Hypersphere

02 Oct 2016, 16:40

Guess I've been lucky. This is the first time I have had a problem with the Blue Cube. I started using Blue Cubes with my very first IBM Model M boards many years ago and subsequently with various other AT boards with no issues until now with the Focus FK-2001. In any event, I can certainly vouch for the excellence of the various converters that Orihalcon makes.

Return to “Keyboards”